BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 67d, 0h, 4m | CPU: 36% | MEM: 5348MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Apple IIe OS/Boot Disks?        Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
A few months ago I received an old Apple IIe that my boss found collecting dust in the music department at the school that I work at. Problem was, I was not able to track down any boot disks, so this thing has basically been an ancient doorstop since August. I was not able to track down a USB 5 1/4 floppy drive to create my own boot disk, so now I'm looking to see if anyone has a diskette with Apple DOS on it that will run on the IIe. I was hoping you guys could at least point me in the right direction- I checked Amazon and Ebay with no luck.
Thanks!

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple IIe OS/Boot Disks?        Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:35 am 

Favourite OS
4039, 2600, 6000 SP2, 7000 SP1
Sometimes you can check craigslist.org

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple IIe OS/Boot Disks?        Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4093
TheTerminatorExecuter wrote:
Sometimes you can check craigslist.org

No luck there, ended up with irrelevant results

Formerly ratsrock2323

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple IIe OS/Boot Disks?        Posted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
………
As long as you have 5.25" Floppies (DS DD, not DS HD or anything), and the Apple II Floppy drive, you can make them yourself with ADTPro
ADTPro runs on your modern computer and connects to the II via serial or audio cable, it should work fine.

Also, the II/+/e/c don't need an OS disk to be used, the OS disk was used for managing files and such, most applications just booted from their own floppies

Pointless. Locked. -linuxlove

Pointless. -James

"If only Windows 8 was as revolutionary as Vista."-hounsell

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple IIe OS/Boot Disks?        Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
UbuntuMATE
I would recommend checking out the Big Mess o' Wires floppy disk emulator. It would allow you to put whatever disk images you need onto an SD card, and then mount them on the IIe as an external floppy. You could then use DiskCopy to write disks from the physical drive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple IIe OS/Boot Disks?        Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NeXTSTEP 3.3
blaffy2015 wrote:
I would recommend checking out the Big Mess o' Wires floppy disk emulator. It would allow you to put whatever disk images you need onto an SD card, and then mount them on the IIe as an external floppy. You could then use DiskCopy to write disks from the physical drive.

I haven't seen them in stock recently. Maybe I'm checking at bad times.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple IIe OS/Boot Disks?        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
UbuntuMATE
lhn555 wrote:
blaffy2015 wrote:

I haven't seen them in stock recently. Maybe I'm checking at bad times.

Odd. I bought one earlier in December and they seemed to be in stock. Perhaps in a few weeks they'll be back.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple IIe OS/Boot Disks?        Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
I remember seeing an internal floppy emulator that uses an SD card to store images, but I don't have the link to it handy right now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple IIe OS/Boot Disks?        Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
UbuntuMATE
In case anyone is still looking it appears the floppy emus are back in stock, along with an upgraded model. http://www.bigmessowires.com/floppy-emu/

Top  Profile