BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 63d, 2h, 4m | CPU: 51% | MEM: 5171MB of 12174MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:34 pm 
Administrator

Here's an interesting article about two guys that revived the last development Mac before they released it. It had a 5.25" drive, and runs a beta version of the first Mac OS. The article shows some interesting screenshots as well...

http://www.cultofmac.com/239280/twiggy- ... macintosh/

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggly!        Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:01 pm 
Donator

I'd love if they dumped the OS disks and the rom somehow. Would be fun to poke around them.

Windows Defender for great justice! Bugs are an international trading company. I need to defeat the anti-debugging and obfuscation methods. It wasn't for Intel's absurd ability to load in ie6. Why even waste time with people in an envelope?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggly!        Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:24 pm 
FTP Access

Steve sez :'D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggly!        Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:43 am 
Donator

Wheatley wrote:
I'd love if they dumped the OS disks and the rom somehow. Would be fun to poke around them.

I read that they apparently had a professional dump and archive the software on the disk - I'm not sure if they'd be willing to share it...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
inb4 'professional' means 'Jason Scott'... but if that was so it'd be on archive.org already lol

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggly!        Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:07 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Tiger
Wheatley wrote:

They have. However, they have not released disk images or ROM dumps. MacGUI has some interesting info about the disk format: http://macgui.com/news/article.php?t=328
They used a utility written by Sigma Seven Systems called BLU (Basic Lisa Utility) on a Lisa 1. It's similar to ADTPro for the Apple II and /// in that it can be loaded from a floppy or from a serial connection (But, it can't make floppies from image files). It can dump almost any disk attached to a Lisa and also dump the ROMs of the Lisa. More info about BLU: http://sigmasevensystems.com/BLU

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:26 pm 
Donator

So it is indeed confirmed they have dumped it - getting ahold of it, however, might be significantly more difficult.
I'm going to make an effort to contact this "Adam Goolevitch" and obtain the disk dumps if possible.
Unfortunately, without a ROM dump we won't be able to recreate a full Twiggy mac expereience but the disk dumps will be more than enough.

EDIT: It has come to my attention that a ROM dump HAS indeed been made - and has been shared with that macgui website. I'm still attempting to contact him - if I succeed in doing so I'll report back here.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
urchin eye 3
This is great. I have one question...what do the weird face icons mean?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:55 pm 

So Steve lives on then? That is great.

I really wish that he did get to put the virtual man in the mac though, that would have been completely amazing and awesome.. Im planning on taking his idea of that and putting it into my projects. :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:58 am 
FTP Access

JacobGuy7800 wrote:

Do you mean the Happy/Sad Mac?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Tiger
JacobGuy7800 wrote:

I think they were supposed to be how the developers look after a 90-hour work week.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X 12A69
Have you news ?

Is there a dump of the floppy and (or) from the ROM ?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:10 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OltScript System
H, for the diskette, I had him say in the first one! And I believe that we always have the image diskette, unfortunately :-(
:beta:
PS: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=29901

GoodBye !!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Revival of the Twiggy!        Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:32 pm 

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Yes, I heard a lot about this, and I think a complete, working example exists somewhere.

I believe the disks were coped and preserved, and a ROM dump made.

It's a very excellent piece of early Mac history (and a glimpse at what could've been the original Macintosh had the Twiggy drive been put into production (the Sony drive we all know was substituted near the final stages of development since it was thought it would be more reliable than the Twiggy (which was used on production Lisa I's))).

I've seen posts about this on other forums, but I can't recall exactly when and where they might've gone. I do know there was much talk of it on 68kMLA, so one might search there.

c

Top  Profile