BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 62d, 14h, 41m | CPU: 33% | MEM: 5145MB of 12211MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:55 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:44 am

Posts
84

Favourite OS
7600
Do you have any idea how you can emulate Mac OS 9 with the Old World ROM on SheepShaver?

Because sometimes when you run it with the old world rom, you could recieve a bomb error.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:58 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:56 am

Posts
5886
Buy a Mac. SheepShaver is really too buggy to use and as far as I know, abandoned.

_________________
Goodbye.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:00 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:44 am

Posts
84

Favourite OS
7600
linuxlove wrote:
Buy a Mac. SheepShaver is really too buggy to use and as far as I know, abandoned.


But, of course, I could really set the RAM to 256 or 512 MB.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:19 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:07 am

Posts
566

Location
On Earth

Favourite OS
………
linuxlove wrote:
Buy a Mac. SheepShaver is really too buggy to use and as far as I know, abandoned.


Umm… No… It's still being worked on and, it is the most capable PPC emulator… I have Mac OS 8.6, 7.5.5, and 8.0 installed… I can even run Betas like 8.2 on it…

_________________
"I not have a time to spend for make fake, and more important thing, this pics are not my."

Pointless. Locked. -linuxlove

Pointless. -James

"If only Windows 8 was as revolutionary as Vista."-hounsell


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:04 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:56 am

Posts
5886
finkmacunix wrote:
Umm… No… It's still being worked on and, it is the most capable PPC emulator… I have Mac OS 8.6, 7.5.5, and 8.0 installed… I can even run Betas like 8.2 on it…

Interesting. Last time I used SheepShaver, it hadn't been updated in several years.

_________________
Goodbye.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:22 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:07 am

Posts
566

Location
On Earth

Favourite OS
………
http://www.emaculation.com/

Here is the site where you can get the latest builds, along with guides on how to set it up…

_________________
"I not have a time to spend for make fake, and more important thing, this pics are not my."

Pointless. Locked. -linuxlove

Pointless. -James

"If only Windows 8 was as revolutionary as Vista."-hounsell


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:32 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:27 am

Posts
12

Favourite OS
5111
anabate3 wrote:
Do you have any idea how you can emulate Mac OS 9 with the Old World ROM on SheepShaver?

Because sometimes when you run it with the old world rom, you could recieve a bomb error.


Sorry, but why are you using an Old World Rom instead of a New World one?


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:20 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 am

Posts
88

Favourite OS
NT4 SP6
Le Master wrote:
anabate3 wrote:
Do you have any idea how you can emulate Mac OS 9 with the Old World ROM on SheepShaver?

Because sometimes when you run it with the old world rom, you could recieve a bomb error.


Sorry, but why are you using an Old World Rom instead of a New World one?

Old World ROMs can run System 7.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:01 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 pm

Posts
104

Location
My pants.

Favourite OS
Windows 98 Second Edition
Fairly sure that OS 9 and Old World ROMs are incompatible. I think the only way would be to change the ROM file through the GUI.

That said, I'm not sure how well SheepShaver works as two different instances in two different folders, or in tandem with Basilisk? But you could give that a try if you really don't want to keep switching ROMs.

There's also some software called OS9 Helper that allows you to install OS 9.2 on some older Macs, which mightn't be what you're looking for but maybe there would be some way around it with a bit of work. Good luck!


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:46 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:14 am

Posts
740

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2 5.1.2600
replace Open Transport extensions with the ones from 8.x.
never install quicktime 3.x or 5/6.
Remove the Apple Audio Extension.
Remove all Extensions for unemulated hardware.
Keep away from all 68k apps that plays sound.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:47 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:27 am

Posts
12

Favourite OS
5111
Gligar13 wrote:
Le Master wrote:
anabate3 wrote:
Do you have any idea how you can emulate Mac OS 9 with the Old World ROM on SheepShaver?

Because sometimes when you run it with the old world rom, you could recieve a bomb error.


Sorry, but why are you using an Old World Rom instead of a New World one?

Old World ROMs can run System 7.


But he's wanting to emulate OS 9. So he should use Basilisk II and an Old World Rom for System 7 and SheepShaver and a New World Rom for OS 9.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:25 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:39 am

Posts
88

Favourite OS
NT4 SP6
STeeLhawk wrote:
Fairly sure that OS 9 and Old World ROMs are incompatible. I think the only way would be to change the ROM file through the GUI.

That said, I'm not sure how well SheepShaver works as two different instances in two different folders, or in tandem with Basilisk? But you could give that a try if you really don't want to keep switching ROMs.

There's also some software called OS9 Helper that allows you to install OS 9.2 on some older Macs, which mightn't be what you're looking for but maybe there would be some way around it with a bit of work. Good luck!

Not really, I used to run OS9 on my oldworld based G3.

As for Sheepshaver, it won't run anything newer then 9.0.4, so that's useless.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:56 pm 
Reply with quote
Offline

Joined
Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Posts
4

Favourite OS
MacOS 2.0
I´m aware of the fact, that this thread is dead in the water for years, but still:

SheepShaver does run OS 9.0.4 with the OldWorld ROM or the NewWorld ROM on GNU/Linux, Windows or OSX hosts. Boot images made with the OldWorld ROM will also boot with NewWorld ROM, but not vice versa.
The reason for using the 4MB OldWorld file in favor of the 1MB NewWorld may be:
Compatibility, the Old World ROM seems to be slightly more reliable.
Lazyness, one setup can run OS9 and OS7.6 and reboot into the desired OS
Nostalgia, after all Christian Bauer developed SheepShaver with a PPC 9500/9600, 604e as blueprint.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Emulating Mac OS 9 with Old World Rom on SheepShaver        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:56 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Tue May 13, 2014 9:47 am

Posts
42

Location
Macintosh HD

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
No, but OS 9 cannot find a sound output port under Oldworld ROM.


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2020

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS