BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 63d, 2h, 0m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 5145MB of 12174MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Apple running Windows NT 3.51 for PPC?        Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
OS/2 Warp 4
d3vi1 wrote:
MSUser2013 wrote:
Good to hear that PowerPC Mac support is being worked on for Windows NT, I remember there were plans to port NT4 to Macintosh in the early development stages for OpenNT, When it gets to the point where progress is made to get it to boot, I could do testing on any one of my spare Macs in my collection.

Nope, I'm not actively working on this. I just investigated the situation. It would be a great candidate for a GSOC for QEMU though.

If anyone wants to make this work, they need to be fluent in forth which I'm not and I find-it counter-intuitive (mostly because of the reverse polish notation). One would need to write a PE-COFF loader and a MBR partition interpreter and put them in the boot-info.txt file, then write properties to /chosen that select a PCI HAL (trial and error here) and finally, patch the CPU support by emulating PPC603 compatible CPU properties. We need to modify OFW and OpenBios PPC builds for QEMU to also include MBR/FAT32 support and to make sure that they boot with little?=true;

Alternatively, one could redo what veneer does and make an ARC firmware emulator for OpenFirmware/PPC which in turn loads the setupldr or osloader. Fortunately that could be done in C and compiled into ELF or A.OUT which all firmwares support. Veneer.exe is unfortunately compiled as a PE-COFF. And if anyone has insight on PPC CPU information, maybe (just maybe) we could also dynamically switch the CPU to LE mode without rebooting or setting little?=true.

Apple's OpenFirmware did support MBR, PE and COFF loading. It is just never used it for anything.
Creating an NT HAL to support a PowerMac is nonsense, it would be easier to make QEMU/PPC emulate a compatible prep machine like the IBM 40p that already has an skeleton.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple running Windows NT 3.51 for PPC?        Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:21 am 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
Have anyone of you taken a look at this thread I created? to me it sounds like a lot of you good have knowledge as what may be required. but is this possible? If you have any questions please let me know.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=38517

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Apple running Windows NT 3.51 for PPC?        Posted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:02 pm 

Favourite OS
Manjaro
http://www.firmworks.com/www/chrp.htm

Top  Profile