BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 15h, 20m | CPU: 40% | MEM: 5037MB of 12235MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I heard some people still use OS 9 as a daily working machine... And I bought iBook G3 and PowerMac G4 to run OS 9 rather than OS X

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Ultimate
If you want to get one for nostalgia purposes go for it. If you want to upgrade the hardware, It is not worth it. My friend tried this and did like upgrading one.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
Debian still supports PowerPC-based Macintosh, keeping your ppc up-to-date.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:54 am 
FTP Access

Gentoo too. And NetBSD. As well as many other open source Unices, I would imagine.

If you're sticking with Mac OS, your main connection to the outside world - and thus your main concern from a security point of view - will be, as usual, the browser. I guess you can get by without patching/maintaining most parts of the system, but do update the browser at least. For OS 9 there's Classilla, OS X has TenFourFox.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:25 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
startmenus wrote:
I heard some people still use OS 9 as a daily working machine... And I bought iBook G3 and PowerMac G4 to run OS 9 rather than OS X

Yeah, before I got my intel iMac in 2010, for a handful of months I was using an iMac G3 running OS 9 as my main computer. It actually worked just fine. I just didn't browse the web a lot, but even just using Classilla it was alright. I was mostly sticking to old software like Hotline and KDX since I know quite a few ppl who still use said software. I guess I didn't do a lot of serious/productive stuff, though.

For fulltime use you'd definitely want G4 or G5 processor with OS X 10.5, which I also did for a while just for fun (that time with an iMac G4).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:57 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
TBH I'd probably go with a Power Mac G4 MDD. They were the top of the G4 crop; The G5 models of most of the Macintoshes were meh.

For a time a few years back (back when I was banned from BA), I used to use a Summer 2001 Indigo iMac G3 as my primary computer; running Mac OS X 10.3.9 and OS 9.2.2 -- but eventually, I moved back onto my PC of the time, an eMachines Celeron D machine; 500MHz G3 just didn't cut it for me.

Maybe a Power Mac G5 would do good, if you want just a nice little machine to toy with or run most day-to-day operations on, but just remember they're outdated, not supported and no longer maintained, so you may have issues finding software that isn't hopelessly vintage :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:33 pm 
FTP Access

G5 offers 64-bit and is fast(though it uses lots of power).
So maybe if you use the latest OSX(think it is 10.5/10.6) and use the latest non-Safari browser , then maybe it's still fine.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:18 am 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
I would still use PowerPc if I had to because it can run Mac OS X Snow Leopard and it can run almost all applications that are compatible with OS X Snow Leopard.

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Last edited by Archenemy on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 10.3
Archenemy wrote:
I would still use PowerPc if I had to because it can Mac OS X Snow Leopard and it can run almost all applications that are compatible with OS X Snow Leopard.

Leopard (10.5), not Snow Leopard (10.6) ;) But technically, 10.6 is a PPC-stripped, Intel-optimized version of 10.5, thus all 10.6 programs theoretically should compile on 10.5, if the developer tried. (The reason for 10.6 being popular minium requirement during last years is related to it being the minimum compile target of recent SDK versions …)

10.5 is a great OS, but 10.4 runs much quicker on PPC. I would choose that if 10.5's QuickLook and Dictionary.app weren't so darn useful…

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Hey,
I bought a Powerbook G4 a 3 months ago so I can tell you the detailed impression I've won about this architecture. First of all, the only OS that makes sense on these machines is OS X Leopard which is almost 8 years old, so you can't expect many new apps being developed for it.

There are a few maintained projects, like Ten4Fox which is a port of the modern Firefox to Leopard. As long as you don't watch flash-intensive or picture-dense content, you'll be ok with it but keep in mind it's not even comparable to the smooth experience you get on modern Intel macs.

Apps like Office 2008 and Mail run great on it and as long as you have maxed out your RAM, you won't notice big delays when using them.

So with these things said, you have to decide individually whether it makes sense for you or not.

I hope I helped you a bit so you can take the right decision, it really depends on what you want to do with it. If there are any questions left, go ahead and as me :D

EDIT: Wow, I just noticed the OP posted this 4 years ago, well anyway, this applies for anyone wanting to buy a PPC in 2015 ...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:21 pm 

Favourite OS
NeXTSTEP 3.3
I still own two PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz. I think they're still pretty usable for basic everyday tasks. 10.5 was not that bad. In my opinion, they suffer the most from the slow hard drives. CPU/RAM does not seem that much of an issue.

-joe

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:53 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.5.8
felixuta wrote:
There are a few maintained projects, like Ten4Fox which is a port of the modern Firefox to Leopard. As long as you don't watch flash-intensive or picture-dense content, you'll be ok with it but keep in mind it's not even comparable to the smooth experience you get on modern Intel macs.

Apps like Office 2008 and Mail run great on it and as long as you have maxed out your RAM, you won't notice big delays when using them.

I second this. But there are some additions I can think of for other tasks, For photo editing, There's Photoshop CS2 which is abandonware since it was released for free by Adobe and can be found here (links still work as of posting.), For vectorization there's Illustrator CS2 which is also found on the link mentioned.

To watch videos you can use VLC Player version 2.0.10 (or 0.9.10 if you use Tiger).

Video Editing? You can use iMovie from iLife 09 and earlier, Personally I'd recommend iLife 06, Most versions even support HD video editing, I don't know how well that would work on a PowerPC Mac, Maybe if you do it on a G5 it would work the best.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:06 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 3.30a & Windows/386!
Nothing really. If you wanted one, get one of those quad processor G5's. At least four processors in the 1.6-2.2Ghz speed is somewhat usable. Be prepared for disappointment with outdated software, and basically running a time machine from the mid 2000's.

I have a G4 iBook I keep around, 1.5GB of ram, and it's intolerably slow. Single ore stuff really shows it's age in 2015. Even at speeds faster than a Ghz. Unless you really want the 'cool' factor in having something ancient, I guess.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:40 pm 

AFAIK it's really true that it's a dead end machine, as now technology has changed there are many others. Yeah of course they are expensive but what to do?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:02 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Ubuntu
I have a 2002 iMac G4 sits on my home bar.. works just fine. Web, iTunes, Netflix, NFL ticket....

Top  Profile