BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 63d, 3h, 9m | CPU: 12% | MEM: 5197MB of 12070MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
MugenFox wrote:
As Derf said, dual core is not enough. It needs to be 64-bit. I think Snow Leopard also requires a 64-bit CPU. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong, my 32-bit Core Duo MBP is running 10.6 fine. ;-)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:50 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 RTM
Derf wrote:
MugenFox wrote:
As Derf said, dual core is not enough. It needs to be 64-bit. I think Snow Leopard also requires a 64-bit CPU. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong, my 32-bit Core Duo MBP is running 10.6 fine. ;-)

Ah. I stand corrected.
Offtopic Comment
I have never been good with Macs and I don't own one besides my PowerBook 520. I have always been more of a Hackintosh person. Way too expensive for my taste.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:36 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
MugenFox wrote:
Offtopic Comment
Way too expensive for my taste.

Yeah. I could get similarly-specified ordinary PCs for maybe half the price. The only Macintosh I have is an iMac G3 with Mac OS X 10.1.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
UZI180
Some people said 10.0 and 10.1 were still beta like systems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:43 pm 
FTP Access

z180 wrote:

10.1 was fine 10.0 had a few problems which people carried on to 10.1 and then started a big rave about 10.1 also having problems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:07 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
voyager8907 wrote:
z180 wrote:

10.1 was fine 10.0 had a few problems which people carried on to 10.1 and then started a big rave about 10.1 also having problems.

Firstly, I can't find downloads for any higher PPC versions on BetaArchive (except 10.4 I think is on there), and secondly I don't think my G3 supports much higher.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
The G3 supports 10.0 - 10.3 natively and 10.4 via XPostFacto. I also never remember having an issue with 10.1 back when I used that as my primary operating system.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:13 pm 
Donator

Take a backward step, then a forward step

Favourite OS
LH 4015, Chicago 73g, XP 2416
Derf wrote:
The G3 supports 10.0 - 10.3 natively and 10.4 via XPostFacto. I also never remember having an issue with 10.1 back when I used that as my primary operating system.

Do you mean 10.5? 10.4 supports G3s just fine.

When in doubt...
iddqd
idkfa

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:27 pm 
Donator

Fanculo (anche conosciuto come Quel Paese)
XPostFacto is not needed at all with G3. It doesn't support x86.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:03 am 

Favourite OS
I think that if the price is right - go for it. These PowerBooks will become collector's items soon. I still have a PowerMac G5 running Tiger in the basement and have no problems. In fact, I love using it because it feels so nostalgic. Be careful with G5's, however, they run very hot and may sound like jets flying by. G4's are slower but have no heating issues.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
DarkerJ wrote:
Derf wrote:

Do you mean 10.5? 10.4 supports G3s just fine.

10.4 doesn't support older G3s, there's a cutoff:
http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPo ... ility.html

XPostFacto actually doesn't work at all with 10.5 last I researched due to OpenFirmware incompatibilities.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Arch Linux
My iMac G3 has 192 MB of RAM and a 9 GB hard disk (it's a slot-loading model) but I'm not sure of the exact CPU version. I have Mac OS X 10.1 on it (it boots incredibly slowly), but could I run up to 10.3 on it? I'm guessing the CPU model matters.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Yes, you should be able to run 10.3 fine on that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:30 pm 

Favourite OS
I don't think HTML5 is CPU dependant. This is a software function of the browser. If the browser is supported (Safari 5.0.2) on PPC then you have HTML5 support.

I run lots of PPC 12" laptops using 10.5.8 with no issues, and they have HTML5 support. They are slower then intel laptops but they get the job done.

Cheers

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X Lion
I was given someone's old Powerbook G4 15" (I believe it was 1.67GHz) and it worked surprisingly well with Leopard for a 5 or 6 year old computer.
The latest iTunes and Safari installed fine and so did iWork and iLife '09, and Office 2008.
Photoshop CS4 was actually pretty fast (!) but I didn't get the chance to use it much.

The only problems I encountered were on websites with Flash or Silverlight.
Hulu didn't work because the very latest version of Flash Player doesn't support PowerPC processors, and YouTube was choppy and caused the fans to run full blast.
And Netflix streaming/Silverlight doesn't work at all.

Overall, it would make a decent computer, provided that I had another (Intel) computer around for most of the time.
And at <$200 for a decent one it's worth a try.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:06 am 
FTP Access

does anybody know what was the very last PPC laptop just before they released the first Intel based one please ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
W8 8102
henryns wrote:
I was given someone's old Powerbook G4 15" (I believe it was 1.67GHz) and it worked surprisingly well with Leopard for a 5 or 6 year old computer.
The latest iTunes and Safari installed fine and so did iWork and iLife '09, and Office 2008.
Photoshop CS4 was actually pretty fast (!) but I didn't get the chance to use it much.

The only problems I encountered were on websites with Flash or Silverlight.
Hulu didn't work because the very latest version of Flash Player doesn't support PowerPC processors, and YouTube was choppy and caused the fans to run full blast.
And Netflix streaming/Silverlight doesn't work at all.

Overall, it would make a decent computer, provided that I had another (Intel) computer around for most of the time.
And at <$200 for a decent one it's worth a try.

Back when PPC was relavant, Apple was constantly touting its superiority over x86 platforms by running Photoshop benchmarks, video encoding tests and the like.

benj007 wrote:
does anybody know what was the very last PPC laptop just before they released the first Intel based one please ?

12" PowerBook G4 - 1.5GHz, 64MB GeForce FX5200 - PowerBook6,8
15" PowerBook G4 - 1.67GHz, 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 - PowerBook5,8
17" PowerBook G4 - 1.67GHz, 128MB ATI Radeon 9700 - PowerBook5,9

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Macs of that era saw widespread use in the various creative industries and hardly elsewhere as they were a poor value for money if one just wanted, say, a machine for net surfing or using e-mail.

Last edited by linuxlove on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's not double-post

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:09 pm 
FTP Access

The older PowerPC apples are only really good for mucking around on or as a hobby. The latest OS that works on powerpc architecture is 10.4 Tiger (released in 2005 -- 6/7 years ago) and support for 10.4 is getting pretty thin on the ground.

Firefox is not supported in anything less than 10.5 and hasn't been for a while, and that is open source software, commercial software is even worse. The latest version of Microsoft Office that works is 2008, whereas compared with Windows, Office 2010 only needs XP (released in 2001 -- 10/11 years old) Mac OS is a fair bit different to Windows in terms of software publishers continuing to support their programs on older OS's.

So for a main computer, powerpc architecture is dead in the water and x86 Intel architecture is really the only way to go.
Unfortunately Apples are expensive (and always have been comparitively).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:38 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 9.2.2
I think that using an old PowerPC is always good... that's a RISC platform. If you like computer engineering, it's a must to.
But, in the other side, with an PowerPC, you can't do any upgrade.

I have a PowerMac G3 Blue and White (PPC G3 350Mhz) here, that works as a storage server (exporting a 1TB Sata disk throw the network - using Apple File Protocol) and it works like a charm. And I have a Dell Dimension (Pentium III 600Mhz), as a network router, using FreeBSD.

So, old machines is great for some stuffs, and for learning how it work (example, my PPC G3 350 Mhz, is faster then my Pentium III 600Mhz).

You can run old applications, old games (I love to play some games in my PowerMac using Mac OS 9.2.2).

But, if you want something for using day after day, you will be very disappointed. No security update, no new software (a lot of new softwares is Intel Only) and the list go on...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:16 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows XP SP2
Well, that depends. It is great for running Tiger, but if it is running Leopard, you have much less
compatibility and it is much slower. In Tiger, you can also add other OSes, such as Linux and betas.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:41 am 

Favourite OS
I use a full spec'd G4 Cube (Dual 1.6GHz CPU!) to make meeting agendas and do some light web-surfing. Not much for the money that I invested, but it's that nostalgic feeling that makes me keep doing it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:36 am 
FTP Access

PowerPc are great for home media systems. While the Powerbook may not be a perfect match, the Power PC Mac Minis work quite well for multimedia software such as Plex. They are cheap enough to where you can have a secondary multimedia machine such as a guest bedroom.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS 10.3
They are quite fast, to be honest. Back then, a PowerPC Generation x roughly was as fast as a Pentium 'x' with twice the MHz, while consuming half the power and generating half the heat.

The "deadness" and "slowness" is mostly industry-related. They just didn't want to support them anymore on desktop systems, to force you into bunying a newer computer, and now make unnecessarily bulky software to support that cause.

Example: I could watch Youtube on a 1999's G3 450 MHz (no CPU fan necessary!) without any problems in 2009. Now Youtube requires a newer Flash Plugin, which is slower and PPC is no longer supported at all. Today I "need" a much faster Core 2 Duo with 2,66 GHz for the same task, which burns my lap incidently. Yes, it is faster, but not for everday's tasks!

Luckily, there are still people who offer older or alternate software versions to make actual production use possible on these little wonders. With more fun than "iOS X" can give you…

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:14 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
SoftWitch wrote:
Example: I could watch Youtube on a 1999's G3 450 MHz (no CPU fan necessary!) without any problems in 2009. Now Youtube requires a newer Flash Plugin, which is slower and PPC is no longer supported at all. Today I "need" a much faster Core 2 Duo with 2,66 GHz for the same task, which burns my lap incidently. Yes, it is faster, but not for everday's tasks!

Independent of optimizing playback, Youtube changed their formats, the new formats are more efficient and contain larger screens sizes but are more computationally expensive. I have a G3 that I can watch videos on, but only small ones.

Software is optimized for latency and bandwidth reduction rather then computational efficiency.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: PowerPc still usefull??        Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:31 am 

Favourite OS
Mac OSX 10.0
You can still put a PowerPC Mac to good use.

Top  Profile