BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 16h, 17m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5712MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Just got a Windows Mobile Pocket PC for free...        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:04 am 
FTP Access

So, for Xmas my grandpa gave me his old XV6600 Windows Mobile Pocket PC. His original intention was to give it to me to ebay, and I would get to keep the money as a "pre-Xmas gift". However, they go for extremely little used on ebay ($10-$15), so it really isn't worth getting rid of. It also isn't in superb condition, so I wouldn't expect it to go for a whole lot. However, I it is quite nice and I plan on playing around with it alot. I've never had a Windows Mobile device before, and I hear they are ok, but I wanted to ask some questions about it first before I dig into this thing:

1.) Is there a software method to unlock the phone for use with another carrier besides Verizon?
2.) Do wireless SD cards work with windows mobile devices?
3.) Is there a way to upgrade to a newer version of Windows Mobile? Currently it is running Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003, 2nd Edition.

I have an iPhone right now and have absolutely no plans to use this device as my phone. I will mostlikely try out some emulators on it or purchase a cheap SD card and use it as a media player/web browser. If anyone knows anything interesting that I can do with this, please, let me know. I want to try out different things with this device. If anything happens to this device, I mean, Im not going to care a whole lot. So if I end up bricking it or something, oh well, however, I'd like to avoid that :)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Just got a Windows Mobile Pocket PC for free...        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:33 am 
FTP Access

1) Usually, you need to change some registry key, in each device other.
2) You need SDIO or CF socket.
3) There are always unofficial ROMs. Some devices can be updated even to 6.0 or 6.1, even though there are no official upgrades.

Oh, I've just looked up what XV6600 is, and it's an American version of HTC Blue Angel. It has SDIO but doesn't have CF. For BA, simlock can be unlocked very easily, from what I heard. XV6600 shouldn't be much different. And I know there are updates to 6.0, lastly even 6.1 (unfortunately unofficial ones which means that sometimes they might be unstable).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Just got a Windows Mobile Pocket PC for free...        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:50 am 
FTP Access

This is good news! I have been looking around a bit since I posted. I found an upgrade for the device through the manufacturers website, although im not sure what version it is being upgraded to. I am going to have to look for that Windows 6 upgrade for the phone, if this doesn't install 6. I don't want to try something unstable, however, if I can install the unofficial 6.1 is there a way to go back to 6 just by flashing a new image to it?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Just got a Windows Mobile Pocket PC for free...        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:00 am 
FTP Access

Oh, not good :( As you can see here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpos ... ostcount=2 there are no WM 6.x for your device. You'll have to stay on 2k3SE.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Just got a Windows Mobile Pocket PC for free...        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:13 am 
FTP Access

Yeah I just saw that page right before coming back here :( Oh well, Ill have to see what I can do with it, im sure I can still do tons with it :)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Just got a Windows Mobile Pocket PC for free...        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:12 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Isn't your phone a CDMA? Don't you need to find a CDMA carrier?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Just got a Windows Mobile Pocket PC for free...        Posted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:05 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
now I envy you :!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Just got a Windows Mobile Pocket PC for free...        Posted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:59 am 
FTP Access

Since it doesn't have the ability to be used as a phone at the moment, and I have no plans on activating it, what are some "must-have apps" for a Windows Mobile device? I wanted to try out one of the Universal Remote apps, but im unsure of how far the range is on the IR sensor.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM