BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 60d, 1h, 55m | CPU: 58% | MEM: 5051MB of 12191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:35 am 

Favourite OS
The title says it all. Is it only for some small devices or can any device run it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:46 am 
Administrator

Depends on what version you're referring to. The early CE versions were designed mostly for palmtops and PDAs based on ARM, SH3, MIPS or PPC architectures, later ones also for x86 but any consumer x86 machines running CE were rare.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Embedded_Compact

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
All CEs after a certain point (5.0?) supported a "CEPC" target, which should at least run on the majority of PCs, if not all. It's not necessarily going to run very well though, without any drivers.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
IIRC anything that is CE 2.0 and above supports the x86 platform...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
You could get your hands on a CE toolkit and a compatible Visual Studio version and compile CE to whichever architecture you decide. That's if you are familiar with compiling stuff, though. As mrpijey said, barely any CE x86 machines exist. The only time I've seen x86 CE is if you virtualise it through vm software or through the CE 5.0 device simulator (Which is just a custom Virtual PC 2007 if I remember correctly).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:17 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7(Build 7601)
Get yourself a raspberry pi 2,and visit this project:
https://ceonpi.codeplex.com

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:14 am 
Administrator

The modern implementations of CE (i.e Compact Embedded) are a far cry from the vintage ones from the 90's.... you won't get the old ones running on a Raspberry....

I have several CE palmtops and HPCs and been looking for info on how to dump the ROMs in them, but to no avail. I even got a Pegasus developer device I really wanted to dump the ROM of as it's using a beta version of Windows CE 1.0 but the only way I've seen so far is by using specialized tools and by basically desoldering the chip which I don't want to do either.

There are a few older Windows CE sims that MS released, you won't get them running on a modern system but on an older Win9x system or Win2000 system it should work. I was thinking about setting up a remove VM running these old WinCEs (along with other PDA emulators) but that's a project for an another time.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:46 pm 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:
I even got a Pegasus developer device I really wanted to dump the ROM of as it's using a beta version of Windows CE 1.0 but the only way I've seen so far is by using specialized tools and by basically desoldering the chip which I don't want to do either.

That sounds really cool. Do you happen to have any photos / screenshots? I really love these old Windows CE devices and have two CE 1.0-devices on my own, but I have never heard of anyone who has got a prototype device.

Kind regards,
Jens

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:02 pm 
Administrator

Not readily no, I've send it away to a friend currently to get the screen working again as it's dead, but I will get some photos later. Doesn't look any special, just like an early HP HPC palmtop, it's the ROM on it that is interesting. But I am not aware of any way to dump the ROM easily.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:06 pm 
Donator

mrpijey wrote:
Not readily no, I've send it away to a friend currently to get the screen working again as it's dead, but I will get some photos later. Doesn't look any special, just like an early HP HPC palmtop, it's the ROM on it that is interesting. But I am not aware of any way to dump the ROM easily.

Unfortunately I've never heard of a way to dump the ROM either. And then again, it probably would only make sense anyway if you could do something with this ROM afterwards. I wish you luck that the screen will be fixed again - would really be a shame if that beauty got rendered useless.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:33 am 

You should be able to run Windows CE both in an emulator and installed on the device itself as the host operating system.

In the first case all you need is an emulator, which is provided with the development kit and in a more expensive version of Visual Studio. This will run the OS fine, albeit a bit slow depending on the architecture you choose to build the Guest OS for.

In the second case you will actually need to find or write drivers for the hardware that you want to run on and use. This will require the Platform Builder application (I believe it's a plugin to Visual Studio now) and knowledge of the hardware that you are running on. Windows CE itself does support x86 processors, although I don't remember if it supports all x86 processors (instruction sets) or just 486's.

If you want to go down the second route you also may be able to get an Intel Atom or AMD Geode board support package (BSP) which will help you develop the drivers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can any machine run Windows CE on it?        Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:11 pm 
FTP Access

Zv45Beta wrote:
IIRC anything that is CE 2.0 and above supports the x86 platform...

I believe that it's 2.10 or higher for x86 (out of Platform Builder anyway).

Top  Profile