BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 10h, 33m | CPU: 41% | MEM: 5573MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:36 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Some guys in Baidu Tieba tried to run Windows 10 IoT Core on the Lumia 2520, and succeeded. (No touch drivers or anything else)
This is the post, in Chinese unfortunately:http://tieba.baidu.com/mo/q---70A2AEC80C022BA460AE3871100644B3%3AFG%3D1--1-3-0--2--wapp_1449582391345_951/m?kz=4171436114&is_bakan=0&lp=5010&pinf=1_2_20
This is the mobile version since I am posting from a phone.
I will repost the images here when I come back home.

So, is it possible to run 10 Mobile on a RT device? That is more useful than the IoT one, and it maybe a good Windows RT replacement.
Also, is it possible to insert drivers into a Windows 10 Mobile image?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I think you'd have to break Secure Boot, which is going to be a problem for Windows RT devices, which have it permanently enabled.

The problem is IoT works because it uses the standard Windows CA, like Windows RT did. Windows Phone / Windows Mobile uses its own CA and will therefore be blocked by Secure Boot on the UEFI of standard production Windows RT tablets.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Build 7898
If Softwares like WPInternals *are able* to root Secure Boot, I think will be easy to do the same with RT knowing all mechanism about Windows 10 boot steps.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:38 am 
FTP Access

MrUTB wrote:
If Softwares like WPInternals *are able* to root Secure Boot, I think will be easy to do the same with RT knowing all mechanism about Windows 10 boot steps.
No. Just no. You can't "root Secure Boot". All WPInternals does is make use of an exploitable flaw in older Qualcomm chips that allows modifying things like the state of SecureBoot even when you shouldn't have access to change said "switch".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Lukas Marsik wrote:
MrUTB wrote:
No. Just no. You can't "root Secure Boot". All WPInternals does is make use of an exploitable flaw in older Qualcomm chips that allows modifying things like the state of SecureBoot even when you shouldn't have access to change said "switch".

Lumia 2520 also uses a Snapdragon 800... Maybe it will work?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Build 7898
Lukas Marsik wrote:
MrUTB wrote:

Really?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/windows ... 0-t3259359

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:05 pm 
FTP Access

MrUTB wrote:
This thread is about booting Windows 10 Mobile on a RT device and this is the exact opposite. Would be nice to know how things work, especially when they are explained the thread you are talking in.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Build 7898
Look the Hounsell's response and then check the topic from XDA again. I think I don't need to explain that. I consider obvious.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
What you apparently consider so obvious is inexplicable, considering you are wrong.

Running RT on a phone is possible because with Secure Boot broken, you are no longer restricted to the Windows Phone-signed binaries.

Running W10M on an RT device is currently not possible because there is no known way to bypass Secure Boot for RT devices, or at least not to the same extent, anyway.

On the other hand, RT devices will actually boot an IoT image, to the extent permitted by available drivers. This is because IoT binaries are signed by the main Windows certificate, and are therefore recognised as valid by the bootloader even without breaking Secure Boot. You'll probably run into driver troubles, but otherwise it'll all work.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Build 7898
hounsell wrote:
The problem is IoT works because it uses the standard Windows CA

So, if you said that, and It was possible before to *unlock" secure boot from Windows 10 General SKUs, I can say "it's possible to do the same" with RT Devices.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 47883.aspx

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
CentOS
MrUTB wrote:
hounsell wrote:
The problem is IoT works because it uses the standard Windows CA

So, if you said that, and It was possible before to *unlock" secure boot from Windows 10 General SKUs, I can say "it's possible to do the same" with RT Devices.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 47883.aspx

You do realize that you can't make W10M work on RT devices by simply hacking the install media -- that to break Secure Boot will require reverse engineering the embedded UEFI on the physical RT tablet device -- you do understand this, correct?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Build 7898
I know what is the secure boot process. Don't deal with me like a baby. I'm discussing about this and I'm trying to understand why explanations by other guys.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
CentOS
MrUTB wrote:
I know what is the secure boot process. Don't deal with me like a baby. I'm discussing about this and I'm trying to understand why explanations by other guys.

Sorry, not trying to insult you here; I'm just confused about what point you're trying to make. I still don't understand, so I'll just leave this topic alone. Kind regards.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:02 am 

Favourite OS
Windows 10 Build 15063
I read the chinese post, within my research.So I want to share something.
First, you must crack the Secure Boot. Then, you need get into Mass Storage, however you need a engineering SBL3, you can only find it from an ES Device, which is difficult to get. Third, you can flash W10M into the eMMC. To load the custom OS well, you need some proper drivers, this is the difficultest part, without drivers, you can even not to Boot.
All in all, to run W10M on a RT device is only on theory level, it is so difficult to finish all parts without MSFT.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:37 pm 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu, OSX 10.6, Win7 Ultimate
Here is a Windows RT emulator: https://github.com/TeoIzAwezome/rtemu
It could be possible that this could run Windows Phone/10 Mobile since it does not have Secure Boot

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn 6.0.4093
Has anyone thought about faking the W10M certificate with the RT one? That way the Os could technically be loaded, it's one way...

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:15 pm 

Favourite OS
Ubuntu, OSX 10.6, Win7 Ultimate
If Mobile can run on the emulator then the only problem is secure boot and your method could possibly work.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Also an idea has come to my mind: Maybe if some loader like GRUB can fake the RT certificate and bypass the Secure Boot, it could then load the W10M OS and many other OSes, so I think the only problem here is to bypass the certificate of RT's Secure Boot, which I think is actually possible.

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MinWin

8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
*cough* Reverse engineering *cough*

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8.1 6.3.9600.16497
With NVIDIA Tegra devices running Android, there's an APX mode which may work like QHSUSB. In other words, a pre-BIOS or -UEFI layer which allows flashing firmware to ubrick a device.

We need to figure out how to boot into it if it exists. From there, we can find out the nature of the Secure Boot lock. Possibly it's an unaccessible BIOS setting, or a switch.

Google +: okcn .aline
Tom's Hardware : okcnaline
OSBetaArchive: ExplicitNuM5

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
MinWin
SistemaRayoXP wrote:
*cough* Reverse engineering *cough*

Look, you have absolutely no idea how this stuff even works. You're just spitting words out with no real knowledge of their actual meanings.

Briefly said, any EFI executable that's ran on a Secure Boot system must be signed by a certificate that is trusted by the firmware. Unless you can somehow get Grub signed by Microsoft's certificate, no "security certificate faking" is ever going to take place, no matter how much reverse engineering you employ. The much more plausible scenario is to get firmware to trust GRUB, which is much more safe and legal than stealing Microsoft's private keys.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:38 am 

You could take a look at that.
imbushuo done some work on launching RT on mobile devices.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile on a RT Device - Possibile?        Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:20 pm 

Since RT can boot on mobile, would that mean the reverse would work? Would W10M need RT drivers?
People have already claimed to exploit secure boot and run grub on RT, so I guess it's possible? Should it be easier now that SBDP is a thing?

Top  Profile