BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 62d, 15h, 10m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 5214MB of 12211MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Where can I find an upgrade for Windows Mobile 5?        Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:48 pm 
Reply with quote
Temporarily Banned
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Posts
27

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL
I have an old HP iPaq H4150 running Windows CE 4.20. It has 64MB RAM, 320x240x16 display, 400mhz CPU, and Wireless B. I know it's possible to upgrade to Windows Mobile 5, but where can I find the upgrade?

_________________
http://computersetc.boards.net/ OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find an upgrade for Windows Mobile 5?        Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:45 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:56 pm

Posts
601

Location
Vienna, Austria
Usually I would say, you'd have to brew a custom rom. But I am not sure if the tools and especially the ROM files are still available. Back in the days there was a user who provided the base roms and radios for the phones to the XDA comunity, but sometime during the time of 6.5.1 - 6.5.3 he disappeared, and thus the only way to get a rom running was to extract the needed things from other custom roms and build your own based on the sliced other roms. (it was for example (iirc) possible to integrate the honeycomb start menu into roms that did not support it or add some system apps etc.)

You could try to look in the XDA-Developer Archive, the only thing I fould in a quick search was http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=493483 - but that's only some kind of a linux distro for that iPaq


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find an upgrade for Windows Mobile 5?        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:47 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Posts
980
I am not too sure if it would be upgradable to Windows Mobile 5 , let alone Professional.
You'll have to go with Standard , and I don't know how well that would be.

Though , your specifications are definitely sufficient.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find an upgrade for Windows Mobile 5?        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:58 pm 
Reply with quote
Temporarily Banned
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Posts
27

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL
x010 wrote:
I am not too sure if it would be upgradable to Windows Mobile 5 , let alone Professional.
You'll have to go with Standard , and I don't know how well that would be.

Though , your specifications are definitely sufficient.

Apparently I can, but you're right that it wouldn't work well as it would use half of the RAM. The iPaq actually stores the OS and all my files in RAM, not on any internal storage

_________________
http://computersetc.boards.net/ OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find an upgrade for Windows Mobile 5?        Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:32 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Posts
980
DallasCHVN wrote:
x010 wrote:
I am not too sure if it would be upgradable to Windows Mobile 5 , let alone Professional.
You'll have to go with Standard , and I don't know how well that would be.

Though , your specifications are definitely sufficient.

Apparently I can, but you're right that it wouldn't work well as it would use half of the RAM. The iPaq actually stores the OS and all my files in RAM, not on any internal storage

But Windows Mobile 5 does not. It stores it in internal memory. That is one of the biggest benefits of it over Mobile 2003.
64 MB RAM is easily sufficient. I personally have a Windows Mobile 5 phone that has only 64 MB RAM and 192 MB ROM and it works well.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Where can I find an upgrade for Windows Mobile 5?        Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:39 pm 
Reply with quote
Temporarily Banned
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:20 pm

Posts
27

Location
Canada

Favourite OS
OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL
x010 wrote:
DallasCHVN wrote:
x010 wrote:
I am not too sure if it would be upgradable to Windows Mobile 5 , let alone Professional.
You'll have to go with Standard , and I don't know how well that would be.

Though , your specifications are definitely sufficient.

Apparently I can, but you're right that it wouldn't work well as it would use half of the RAM. The iPaq actually stores the OS and all my files in RAM, not on any internal storage

But Windows Mobile 5 does not. It stores it in internal memory. That is one of the biggest benefits of it over Mobile 2003.
64 MB RAM is easily sufficient. I personally have a Windows Mobile 5 phone that has only 64 MB RAM and 192 MB ROM and it works well.

Yes, but my Pocket PC doesn't have internal storage. It only has RAM and ROM

_________________
http://computersetc.boards.net/ OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL OH WINDOWS 98 IS SO COOL


Top  Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2020

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS