BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 66d, 23h, 46m | CPU: 15% | MEM: 5391MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:02 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
You know, the Windows Phone emulator is just a Hyper-V VM running a x86 compile of WP/Windows 10 Mobile.
So I tried to boot it natively on my PC (Simply because my PC doesn't support SLAT...), and succeed.
I pulled the VHD file from the Mobile 10166 emulator, edited its partition table, then cloned it to a HDD. And it simply worked.
The result is surprising since the resolution is 1024x768... Most of the apps are showing the tablet/desktop layout.
Here is the video.
[flash=]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI4NjE4OTc4MA==.html[/flash]
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI4NjE4OTc4MA==.html

Last edited by BetaNewbie on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.        Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:41 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 Build 7898
What if you try with build 10240 leaked emulator?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
IBM DOS 3.11
Now, question: Does the x86 compile happen to include an ARM JIT to allow Windows Phone apps to work?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.        Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:46 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
iBetaTosh wrote:
Now, question: Does the x86 compile happen to include an ARM JIT to allow Windows Phone apps to work?

No. Apps must either be compiled for x86 if it is a native app or x86 or AnyCPU if it is a .NET app in order to run on the emulator since WP7. For this reason, you can't run apps downloaded from the Windows Store.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.        Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Goldfish64 wrote:
iBetaTosh wrote:

No. Apps must either be compiled for x86 if it is a native app or x86 or AnyCPU if it is a .NET app in order to run on the emulator since WP7. For this reason, you can't run apps downloaded from the Windows Store.
Windows 10 mobile is also going to be on x86; surely this means the Store would be there and fully-functional?

I might have a play with this in a VM or something maybe. If it works well I'd consider using it on my Tosh Encore Mini tablet, would be far closer to what I actually need...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.        Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
marktuson wrote:
Windows 10 mobile is also going to be on x86; surely this means the Store would be there and fully-functional?
I might have a play with this in a VM or something maybe. If it works well I'd consider using it on my Tosh Encore Mini tablet, would be far closer to what I actually need...

I'm guessing WP7 apps and WP8/WP8.1 apps that are compiled for AnyCPU (x86 apps weren't allowed in the Store) would work on an x86-based Windows 10 Mobile tablet or phone, but I think the emulator lacks the licensing components needed to run apps downloaded from the Store.

As far as the Store app is concerned, it's there and it works, you just can't download or update apps.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.        Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Goldfish64 wrote:
marktuson wrote:

I'm guessing WP7 apps and WP8/WP8.1 apps that are compiled for AnyCPU (x86 apps weren't allowed in the Store) would work on an x86-based Windows 10 Mobile tablet or phone, but I think the emulator lacks the licensing components needed to run apps downloaded from the Store.

As far as the Store app is concerned, it's there and it works, you just can't download or update apps.

All third-party apps are banned from downloading from the store in the emulator. Also, we lack proper drivers for WP on PCs,. Maybe the normal Windows drivers will work but I don't know how.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.        Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:42 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 10
BetaNewbie wrote:
Also, we lack proper drivers for WP on PCs,. Maybe the normal Windows drivers will work but I don't know how.

Some standard drivers might work and universal drivers might also work. As far as configuration goes, everything is the registry, probably under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM. Most if not all of that is documented on MSDN and TechNet, as well as other places.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.        Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
From what I've heard, it's only a matter of time before the Store fully supports x86 software - surely?

I've looked around it a bit and seen some of the phone-only apps are available for x86 as well as ARM. Also x64 IIRC.

Top  Profile