Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.

Discuss Windows Phone 7, 8, 10, Windows CE, .Net and Windows Mobile.
BetaNewbie
FTP Access

Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.

Post by BetaNewbie »

You know, the Windows Phone emulator is just a Hyper-V VM running a x86 compile of WP/Windows 10 Mobile.
So I tried to boot it natively on my PC (Simply because my PC doesn't support SLAT...), and succeed.
I pulled the VHD file from the Mobile 10166 emulator, edited its partition table, then cloned it to a HDD. And it simply worked.
The result is surprising since the resolution is 1024x768... Most of the apps are showing the tablet/desktop layout.
Here is the video.
[flash=]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI4NjE4OTc4MA==.html[/flash]
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI4NjE4OTc4MA==.html
Last edited by BetaNewbie on Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrUTB
FTP Access

Re: Windows 10 Mobile running natively on a PC.

Post by MrUTB »

What if you try with build 10240 leaked emulator?

iBetaTosh
FTP Access

Post by iBetaTosh »

Now, question: Does the x86 compile happen to include an ARM JIT to allow Windows Phone apps to work?

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

iBetaTosh wrote:Now, question: Does the x86 compile happen to include an ARM JIT to allow Windows Phone apps to work?
No. Apps must either be compiled for x86 if it is a native app or x86 or AnyCPU if it is a .NET app in order to run on the emulator since WP7. For this reason, you can't run apps downloaded from the Windows Store.
Goldfish64

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

Goldfish64 wrote:
iBetaTosh wrote:Now, question: Does the x86 compile happen to include an ARM JIT to allow Windows Phone apps to work?
No. Apps must either be compiled for x86 if it is a native app or x86 or AnyCPU if it is a .NET app in order to run on the emulator since WP7. For this reason, you can't run apps downloaded from the Windows Store.
Windows 10 mobile is also going to be on x86; surely this means the Store would be there and fully-functional?

I might have a play with this in a VM or something maybe. If it works well I'd consider using it on my Tosh Encore Mini tablet, would be far closer to what I actually need...
Have a day.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

marktuson wrote:Windows 10 mobile is also going to be on x86; surely this means the Store would be there and fully-functional?
I might have a play with this in a VM or something maybe. If it works well I'd consider using it on my Tosh Encore Mini tablet, would be far closer to what I actually need...
I'm guessing WP7 apps and WP8/WP8.1 apps that are compiled for AnyCPU (x86 apps weren't allowed in the Store) would work on an x86-based Windows 10 Mobile tablet or phone, but I think the emulator lacks the licensing components needed to run apps downloaded from the Store.

As far as the Store app is concerned, it's there and it works, you just can't download or update apps.
Goldfish64

BetaNewbie
FTP Access

Post by BetaNewbie »

Goldfish64 wrote:
marktuson wrote:Windows 10 mobile is also going to be on x86; surely this means the Store would be there and fully-functional?
I'm guessing WP7 apps and WP8/WP8.1 apps that are compiled for AnyCPU (x86 apps weren't allowed in the Store) would work on an x86-based Windows 10 Mobile tablet or phone, but I think the emulator lacks the licensing components needed to run apps downloaded from the Store.

As far as the Store app is concerned, it's there and it works, you just can't download or update apps.
All third-party apps are banned from downloading from the store in the emulator. Also, we lack proper drivers for WP on PCs,. Maybe the normal Windows drivers will work but I don't know how.

Goldfish64
Donator

Post by Goldfish64 »

BetaNewbie wrote:Also, we lack proper drivers for WP on PCs,. Maybe the normal Windows drivers will work but I don't know how.
Some standard drivers might work and universal drivers might also work. As far as configuration goes, everything is the registry, probably under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM. Most if not all of that is documented on MSDN and TechNet, as well as other places.
Goldfish64

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

From what I've heard, it's only a matter of time before the Store fully supports x86 software - surely?

I've looked around it a bit and seen some of the phone-only apps are available for x86 as well as ARM. Also x64 IIRC.
Have a day.