MS-DOS Mobile isn't just a joke: Happy 40th

Discuss Windows Phone 7, 8, 10, Windows CE, .Net and Windows Mobile.
after64k
FTP Access

MS-DOS Mobile isn't just a joke: Happy 40th

Post by after64k »

For those who eagerly watch the April Fool's (04/01) videos put out each year on the Web, this year included a real joke: MS-DOS Mobile.

I generally run free software (and am a long-time Apple enthusiast), but I couldn't miss this one once I discovered the app truly existed. I pulled out a spare Lumia and ran it.

However, do not be expecting Pocket DOS or anything of the sort; this one is simply for fun. Inside are very limited, basic commands, similar to what you'd see in JJOS on Symbian, and it is basically just meant to celebrate Microsoft's 40th birthday and share the app "cake".

As a bit of a starter guide to what the app can do, "help" shows what commands are recognized (a mere 16), "win" opens a 3.1-like simulation with links to Modern apps, and a game (rps.exe) is inside games\rps. And as an extra "easter egg", typing A: will make the phone vibrate flat similar to a floppy read session and print a mock error. The link to Modern Calendar permanently is set to April 1, and there are several sound bytes and other tidbits that are also inside there to find (which I am not going to disclose here; that would spoil the surprise!)

In short, it is rad nostalgia -- download a copy if you have time; it's worth it for the interested!

betaluva
Donator

Re: MS-DOS Mobile isn't just a joke: Happy 40th

Post by betaluva »

next time provide a download link : http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store ... d2dc0b6b26
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*

after64k
FTP Access

Post by after64k »

I apologize about the oversight; thank you for providing the link. :)

yksoft1
FTP Access

Post by yksoft1 »

Meanwhile anyone has a conception of a phone with real command-line (sh or cmd like) user interface?

Matriks404

Post by Matriks404 »

yksoft1 wrote:Meanwhile anyone has a conception of a phone with real command-line (sh or cmd like) user interface?
Ubuntu for phones (Ubuntu Touch, Ubuntu Phone or whatever it's called now) has terminal with bash, and you can use strictly linux commands on it. There is also older Maemo or something with similar name, thing.

yksoft1
FTP Access

Post by yksoft1 »

Matriks404 wrote:
yksoft1 wrote:Meanwhile anyone has a conception of a phone with real command-line (sh or cmd like) user interface?
Ubuntu for phones (Ubuntu Touch, Ubuntu Phone or whatever it's called now) has terminal with bash, and you can use strictly linux commands on it. There is also older Maemo or something with similar name, thing.
I mean that this phone does not feature any GUI and optimized for CLI.

antonio8909
FTP Access

Post by antonio8909 »

Wow! I was thinking that it was true