BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 9d, 6h, 4m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 5176MB of 11353MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows CE executable        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:49 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows CE 5.0/6.0
How i can start small, simple Windows x86 .exe on Windows CE 5.0 ARM Device?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:55 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
none at the moment
Y@riK wrote:
How i can start small, simple Windows x86 .exe on Windows CE 5.0 ARM Device?

As far as I know you can't due to ARM being a different architecture compared to x86.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:57 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
Try porting an x86 .exe to run on ARM Architecture due to Windows CE running on ARM.

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
NT3.X Family
No, you can't. Period. Not even on x86 CE builds, not on ANY CE machine.
For starters, Windows was just used as promotion branding for CE because its whole architecture/subsystem is different from traditional Windows/NT.
Second, x86 is built different from ARM. RISC rather than CISC to start.
You could go emulation, but I don't know of any emulators ported to CE AFAIK. Dosbox possibly.
Archenemy wrote:
Try porting an x86 .exe to run on ARM Architecture due to Windows CE running on ARM.

Windows CE isn't exactly windows. Windows was just added for marketing as I said.

Take a look.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_CE

Architectures. Displays the differences, and possibly why it won't work. Some good text to read as well.

CE
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms905093.aspx

NT
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hanybarakat/arc ... cture.aspx

Last edited by yourepicfailure on Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:07 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
Archenemy wrote:

And you do this how?

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:28 pm 
Permanently Banned

Favourite OS
Windows Betas
InsertGoodNameHere wrote:
Archenemy wrote:

And you do this how?

You can use a guide on how to run x86 apps on your windows rt tablet at least.

Last edited by Archenemy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:00 am, edited 6634564737338 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:12 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
No.

RT is NT. CE is not.

Also, Win86Emu was a rather buggy port of WINE wrapped up in an x86 emulator to Win32 ARM. It's of no relevance to porting existing applications. It's an emulator.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:22 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
2000s era windows
Archenemy wrote:
InsertGoodNameHere wrote:
Archenemy wrote:

And you do this how?

We're talking about Windows CE, not RT.

Looking to contact me? Shoot me a PM on reddit (here).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune 5111
Archenemy wrote:

You can't really...
Archenemy wrote:

Yeah, this isn't NT. I would fact check your knowledge on stuff before you post, what you think isn't always what's right.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:44 pm 

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 Beta 3 Build 1946
I think you cannot run an x86 executable on an ARM based system. That is the case with Windows RT but I'm not sure if this is the same case with Windows CE

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Mon May 27, 2019 4:17 pm 
FTP Access

You cannot run win32 executables under Windows CE. Neither can you run x86 compiled binaries on ARM.

To start with, Win32 (NT) executables have the Windows NT PE header, which is different to Windows CE. Secondly, most of the API for CE is completely different to that of 9x or NT. Consequently even if it were an x86 CE device, it wouldn't be able to run it.

You can run CEF executables from VB or VB .net / C# .net with the .net Framework on both NT and CE however without needing to recompile from source.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 7:39 pm 

Favourite OS
CE4life
Offtopic Comment
I'm the author of this topic

ContemporaryAwareness wrote:
To start with, Win32 (NT) executables have the Windows NT PE header, which is different to Windows CE. Secondly, most of the API for CE is completely different to that of 9x or NT. Consequently even if it were an x86 CE device, it wouldn't be able to run it.

Check out my project, it's Windows CE API translator for win32
https://github.com/feel-the-dz3n/WinCeCompatLayer

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:26 pm 
FTP Access

Dz3n wrote:
Offtopic Comment
I'm the author of this topic

ContemporaryAwareness wrote:

Check out my project, it's Windows CE API translator for win32
https://github.com/feel-the-dz3n/WinCeCompatLayer

Very interesting. I take it that the source .exe has to be x86? Or are you fully emulating?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows CE executable        Posted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:03 pm 
Donator

Microsoft has announced "CEPAL", a solution akin to WSL that would run existing CE applications on NT. Not quite sure if there is any CPU emulation going on, the announcement is pretty silent on that one.

https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... ws-10-iot/

Top  Profile