BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 6h, 3m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 6625MB of 11381MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:26 am 
I know something about Microsoft Singularity - powerful open-source OS by Microsoft. And I want to ask some questions:
* Singularity have Windows GUI?
* Singularity may to launch Win16, Win32 and DOS programs and games?
* Where I may to download Singularity and its sources?
* System requirements of newer version of Singularity?
* Where I may to download drivers for Singularity?

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
1. No.
2. Most likely not.
3. http://www.codeplex.com/singularity/Rel ... seId=19428
4. I think any post-2003 computer can run it.
5. Not sure.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:00 am 
Donator

1. No, at least not at the moment. There's only command line interface.
2. No, Singularity is built from managed code (.NET), so managed code will it run.
3. As Thlump pointed out earlier.
4. I ran it on 100mb VM and it works just fine, probably due to its unfinished nature.
5. Drivers needed to run Singularity are included with the package AFAIK.

Btw, how can you said Singularity as a powerful? When it didn't even shows it potential, yet? Overhyped perhaps?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
1. No, not for the time being as developing (decent) graphics drivers for it will be a PITA.
2. No. just look at Windows 7, and BTW, you can't run any Win16/32/64 app on it.
3. mentioned.
4. any PC from post-2000 should do it.
5. Download them from the forums at Codeplex, then compile them.

BTW running Singularity from HDD is a big PITA.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:37 am 
And now - do you know any high-level programming language to Singularity? I don't know assembler very well.

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:39 am 
PortalCake wrote:
PITA.

Oh, sorry, I don't know English web slang, What does it mean?

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Old DOS wrote:
PortalCake wrote:
PITA.

Oh, sorry, I don't know English web slang, What does it mean?

Pain In the @$!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Old DOS wrote:
I know something about Microsoft Singularity - powerful open-source OS by Microsoft. And I want to ask some questions:
* Singularity have Windows GUI?
* Singularity may to launch Win16, Win32 and DOS programs and games?
* Where I may to download Singularity and its sources?
* System requirements of newer version of Singularity?
* Where I may to download drivers for Singularity?

No.
No.
Google is your friend.
It'll work on pretty much anything.
There aren't any.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:29 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Old DOS wrote:
And now - do you know any high-level programming language to Singularity? I don't know assembler very well.

Most parts of Singularity are written in C++, C# or Sing# so you don't have to know Assembler to write your own applications for it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:27 pm 
Daniel wrote:
Sing#

What it is? C#-like language, yes?

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:00 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Quote:
Sing# is a concurrent programming language that is a superset of the Spec# programming language; in turn, Spec# is an extension of the C# programming language. Microsoft Research developed Spec#, and later extended it into Sing# in order to develop the Singularity operating system. Sing# augments the capabilities of Spec# with support for channels and low-level programming language constructs, which are necessary for implementing system software. Sing# is type-safe. The semantics of message-passing primitives in Sing# are defined by formal and written contracts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_sharp

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
You could have googled all of this - but besides this fact, I'm not sure you understand the purpose of Singularity. It wasn't meant to be a "powerful open-source operating system", it's a very experimental operating system not meant for any sort of use at all. Unless you're interested in taking a look at how managed code can work in a kernel, it's worth nothing.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:20 am 
Derf wrote:
it's a very experimental operating system not meant for any sort of use at all.

The first version of Linux kernel is also "not meant for any sort of use at all", but now Linux is very powerful system.

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Uh, the first version of Linux Kernel was like back at 1991? So if Singularity followed the same fate it wouldn't be until like 2020 that Singularity would have any real use?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Singularity        Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:45 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Old DOS wrote:
Derf wrote:
it's a very experimental operating system not meant for any sort of use at all.

The first version of Linux kernel is also "not meant for any sort of use at all", but now Linux is very powerful system.

@Thlump, lol.

The difference is, Linux was developed with the intention of being a kernel that could actually be used in an OS. Singularity was not. Midori is intended to be a further development of the research done in Singularity, by developing a kernel that *could* be used in a desktop OS. At this stage, it's still a research project though.

Top  Profile  WWW