BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 0d, 2h, 31m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 4763MB of 10859MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Hello again, this time I'm asking; "What OSes support upgrade to W7"? By that I mean, how can we legally upgrade to Windows 7? Do we need a 2000, XP, Vista or what not license? What's the oldest version of Windows 7 I can upgrade to? I'm not talking about in-place here. Speaking of in-place, can we do a clean install of RTM upgrade on Vista?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:40 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows CE 2.11 Build 9015
I think that it is safe to say that both WinXP and Windows Vista will be upgradeable to Windows 7 with no problem at all. In the case of the other OS (like 2000, ME or others) I think that the OS being upgradeable wouldn't be a more important issue than if the hardware your computer has can run Windows 7 without slowing down or crashing completely.

For example: I have a Pentium 4 with 512 mb of RAM and Windows XP running. Supposedly, since it runs Windows XP, I could upgrade it to Windows 7, but due the processor and the few RAM it has, it wouldn't be advisable.

I'll try to find some official info to back this up.

-Commanderraf

EDIT: After about 30 seconds of googling, I found this: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/featur ... s_answered

Not official, neither answers if you have to have a valid licence in Windows XP to make the upgrade, but does indicate that for users of Windows XP and 2000 (you can upgrade Win2K... go figure!) you have to do a clean install... only Windows Vista allows an in-place upgrade. Bummer.

Help me get to my goal of 5 bitcoins! Donate to 166wvZUzA8j7Ltf3eZZK8KW1fCeiAPFVtr

Last edited by Commanderraf on Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
If you are going to buy an upgrade copy of Windows 7, you must have a copy of Windows Vista or Windows XP installed but not necessary activated.

Hint: You can do a clean install of Windows 7 without entering the key during install and do an upgrade install on top of that. (totally legal)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:09 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Day2Die wrote:
If you are going to buy an upgrade copy of Windows 7, you must have a copy of Windows Vista or Windows XP installed but not necessary activated.

Hint: You can do a clean install of Windows 7 without entering the key during install and do an upgrade install on top of that. (totally legal)

Microsoft STILL hasn't fixed that one? LOL, good for me, I'm saving 100 bucks XD!

Last edited by PortalCake on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:12 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Commanderraf wrote:
Not official, neither answers if you have to have a valid licence in Windows XP to make the upgrade, but does indicate that for users of Windows XP and 2000 (you can upgrade Win2K... go figure!) you have to do a clean install... only Windows Vista allows an in-place upgrade. Bummer.

No need for an in-place, and BTW, they just made Windows 7 only $200 or so because of Win2K not having activation---go figure! :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Longhorn build 3683
^Awww, Double post!!

Anyway, I heard form someone on youtube that you can't upgrade from windows xp. does it work or not?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:28 am 
You need Vista SP1 any earlier and you need to clean install

PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:55 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
xp supports the upgrade disk yu CAINT do an in place upgrade..
but can use upgrade media to do a clean install upgrade

or you could use the old vista trick where upgrade can do a clean install

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Commanderraf wrote:
only Windows Vista allows an in-place upgrade. Bummer.

you MIGHT be able to upgrade 2k/XP if you ISO the cd, then change cversion.ini, mount, upgrade.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MS-DOS 4.00
Commanderraf wrote:
For example: I have a Pentium 4 with 512 mb of RAM and Windows XP running. Supposedly, since it runs Windows XP, I could upgrade it to Windows 7, but due the processor and the few RAM it has, it wouldn't be advisable.

Not true with the RAM, my spare computer has 512 and Windows 7 installed without a complaint.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows OSes that can upgrade to W7        Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:46 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
From what Ive read, only Vista will be able to truly upgrade, meaning you keep all programs, documents, etc. But I stay away from these kinds of upgrades as they are usually pretty dirty, leaving unused files all over the place. XP will also be able to upgrade, but it will be a clean install. Im assuming it only uses XP for verification of an older os.

I guess the reason 2000 was left out was because any computer that is running 2000 OEM would probably be unable to run Windows 7 well, if at all.

Top  Profile