BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 9h, 27m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 5531MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:36 pm 
Hello there.

As I mentioned in another thread I have been looking heavily into the package foundation that Windows 7 is built upon. I have spent the last 26 hours or so removing one package at a time and installing Windows 7 everytime to log any differences.

These are the results from Windows 7 7600, X64 Professional.

Safe for removal
Virtualisation
Virtual PC / Virtual XP Back end files
Hyper V Packages (May possibly break the ability to boot from VHD...I don't have the ability to test this at the moment)

Mobility
Tablet PC Components
MobilePC Client Sideshow
MobilePC Client Sensors
MobilePC Client Premium
MobilePC Client Basic

Printing
Printing XPS Package
Printing Premium Toola
Printing Local Printing Home
Printing Foundation (Printing still seemed to work, local & network, with this removed)
Printer Drivers (Removes all the built in drivers for printers. Users can still install drivers if they have the disk)

Desktop Applications / Utilities
Sticky Notes
Snipping Tools
Windows XPS Foundation (Doesn't remove the entry for XPS services in Add/Remove Windows features)
Windows Gadget Platform

Media
WMP Network Sharing Service
WMP Troubleshooting Package
WMP Player Package - Removes DVD Maker
WMP Playback OC Package
WMP Codec Basic Encoder
WMP Codec Pack Basic
Windows Media Format Package (Removes thumbnails in explorer for .wmv files, installing codecs again doesn't fix. Don't remove if you want to use another player but still want thumbnails.)

Mindless Bloat
Windows Anytime Upgrade
Music Samples
Ringtone Samples
Windows Links

Not safe for removal
Parental Controls : Seems to cause funny behaviour in UAC & installation of some applications that require administrative privileges (Firefox)
Peer 2 Peer Network Packages : Seem to stop windows from setting network settings on first boot.
Windows Media DVD Registration Package : Causes a DISM exitcode - will look into.
Wndows Media Centre Package : Causes a DISM exitcode.

Current Installation Size : 8.04gb

I will continue to test when I have time,

Many Thanks,

LeGrande.

Last edited by LeGrande on Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:18 am, edited 12 times in total.

PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:51 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
LeGrande wrote:
Hello there.

As I mentioned in another thread I have been looking heavily into the package foundation that Windows 7 is built upon. I have spent the last 26 hours or so removing one package at a time and installing Windows 7 everytime to log any differences.

These are the results from Windows 7 7600, X64 Professional.

Safe for removal
Virtualisation
Virtual PC / Virtual XP Back end files
Hyper V Packages (May possibly break the ability to boot from VHD...I don't have the ability to test this at the moment)

Mobility
Tablet PC Components

Desktop Applications / Utilities
Sticky Notes
Snipping Tools
Windows XPS Foundation (Doesn't remove the entry for XPS services in Add/Remove Windows features)

Media
WMP Network Sharing Service
WMP Troubleshooting Package

Mindless Bloat
Windows Anytime Upgrade
Music Samples

Not safe for removal
Parental Controls : Seems to cause funny behaviour in UAC & installation of some applications that require administrative privileges (Firefox)

I will continue to test when I have time,

Many Thanks,

LeGrande.

What are you using to do this, vLite? or are you doing it after windows is installed.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:54 pm 
nookupeous wrote:
LeGrande wrote:
Things.

What are you using to do this, vLite? or are you doing it after windows is installed.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I'm using Micrsoft's DISM tool before installation.

PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
good work... it will be interesting to see how much we can cut away from win7 to make a dist. like MicroXP or Micro2003

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:49 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Have you seen any effect on activation?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
speaken of activation, anyone know when we can see the first keys around ? .. i know that we will be able to generate new keys to customers soon.. but just wondering when msdn customers will get theirs...

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
leonbollerup wrote:
speaken of activation, anyone know when we can see the first keys around ? .. i know that we will be able to generate new keys to customers soon.. but just wondering when msdn customers will get theirs...

MSDN/Technet keys and downloads are coming August 6th.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 pm 
FTP Access

Best I ever did with 7 x86 was around 2.8GB installed. That's including the stupidity that is winsxs (so around ~1.4GB) using vLite and DISM. Kept IE8 and WMP11, Paint, a few other bits. I guess 4-8GB is about the best you'll get without breaking things or setup failing partway through.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am 
List Updated.

Frozenport : Activation is fully intact and looks as if it should work.

STKD : I'm doing this list so that people know what they can remove without adverse effects, or atleast understand what the risks are. Not nessesarily just to get the smallest installation :)

Thanks for the comments.

LeGrande.

PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:43 pm 
FTP Access

Well you may find some of the previous findings on this useful still then;
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=f3bba411fb71f8631efd9ec169227bdb&showtopic=133491
Some things vLite breaks, some things DISM breaks. It's all handy to know.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:20 pm 
STKD wrote:
Well you may find some of the previous findings on this useful still then;
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=f3bba411fb71f8631efd9ec169227bdb&showtopic=133491
Some things vLite breaks, some things DISM breaks. It's all handy to know.

I've been reading through that, but thankyou for pointing it out - I'm sure many members will find that useful here :)

Many Thanks,

LeGrande.

PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Just because of what happened to the Vista SP path when you Vlite some stuff, I wouldn't be doing this if I was going to seriously use 7. Although it is cool to have a superslimmed Windows install. Bonus points if you can get it to work on a OLPC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:19 pm 
PortalCake wrote:
Just because of what happened to the Vista SP path when you Vlite some stuff, I wouldn't be doing this if I was going to seriously use 7. Although it is cool to have a superslimmed Windows install. Bonus points if you can get it to work on a OLPC.

The difference here is the way it is done. Vista was not as componentised as Windows 7, therefore making it slimmer really meant 'hacking' parts out of it.

Windows 7 has a lot of its features bundled into packages, making it much safer. Infact the DISM tool is from Microsoft themselves.

Take what you will.

LeGrande.

PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:37 pm 
Donator

LeGrande wrote:
Vista was not as componentised as Windows 7

no. The errors installing Vista SP1/2 is based on the method how vLite removes the files which belongs to a component.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Results : Windows 7 Package Removal.        Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:18 am 
Post Updated.

Legrande.