BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 17d, 1h, 38m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5432MB of 11705MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:25 am 
FTP Access

QuiescentWonder wrote:
Faster than what? They read at roughly half the speed DVDs do.

Besides, nLite and vLite do cause problems sometimes.

Yes, it will, if you are an idiot, a noob or just can't read.

Quote:
It's not really something up for debate, that's just how it is.

See my previous response

Quote:
Of course you can create a fully functioning install using it but there is a chance that you'll remove a component that is required for an update or some other software you're going to use.

Again, see my first response

Quote:
Aside from that, there have been bugs in the software that cause problems with installs. Just look at how many updates to the software there have been.

Undoubtedly, there have been bugs, but most of the issues are due to those referred to in my first post.

Quote:

Reading from a 52x cd-r is faster than reading from a 4x dvd-r. At least it certainly is from where I'm sitting. A standard Vista Ultimate install from dvd on the same pc takes about 20-25 minutes. So yes like I said, faster.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:27 am 
Donator

OG wrote:
QuiescentWonder wrote:

Besides, nLite and vLite do cause problems sometimes.

Yes, it will, if you are an idiot, a noob or just can't read.

Thats overly harsh.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:34 am 
Donator

Take a look at all problems people have with nLite: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=89
Scan the changelog of vLite for fixes: http://www.vlite.net/changelog.html
Look at problems people are having with vLite: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=153

I wasn't saying that it's impossible to create a fully working install that you aren't going to have problems with, nor was I trying to insult you. I use nLite myself. Sometimes things break.

Offtopic Comment
Why are you so hostile?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:42 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
angelwolf71885 wrote:
OG wrote:

I disagree. Vlite, and Nlite, work just fine provided you have a few braincells and can read. I've got a "fully" funtional Vista Ultimate on a 700mb cd, takes about 7-10 minutes to install thanks to the faster read times for cd's and the fact it isn't installing crap I never use. I couldn't live without sticky notes and the snipping tool though. :D

oddly vistas sku's are all separate you have to actuarially upgrade to go to the next level
in 7 it doesn't work that way its all one with different stuff disabled

not to mention an install like that agilest for vista has issue with service packs

agilest with 7 you can make the stuff you dont need unavailable
you really arnt going to save much space in 7...

in xp the space hog was language packs
but they were only on the CD you had to manually install them

the sniping tool is very useful you dont need shortcuts to git a compact screen of a certain area of the screen

WMP can go... but might break certain codecs
coerce CCC or klite can handle that

updates are the issue and other installed progs are the issue

You're still not taking into account what I have said.

Never Mind... I have more intelligent people to waste my typing skills with.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
angelwolf71885 wrote:
hougtimo wrote:
No, no, no, I'm afraid you're wrong.

Windows 7 is based around packages; at least for items specific to each sku.

going from starter to ult takes seconds NO install needed to go to ult
its a TOKEN nothing more...

i can prove it quite easily actually...

Going back to up here, hougtimo is completely correct. It's not so easy to see on the retail builds, though it's still there. Go download a debug build of Windows Seven from M1. The debug setup is unstaged, and that really shows off the modularity of 7. In this setup, it has just one image for all SKUs of either client or server. It then literally goes through a series of XML files describing the SKUs, and installs the packages for that SKU.
Go grab a debug build, and mount the only image in the WIM using imagex, and browse to the \packages folder and knock yourself out with the extent of the modularity of 7. Only Embedded systems are more modular.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:32 pm 
FTP Access

angelwolf71885 wrote:
you really arnt going to save much space in 7...

Wrong. I was experimenting with vLite/dism on most of the builds from 70** onwards (the best I got was 7022) and you can save multiple gigabytes *just* through moving non-essentials that will break nothing, if you know what files not to touch and there are plenty of places out there that tell you how. I've done it with every Server 2008 edition (including Core - and there is a surprising amount can be done with Core too) These programs do not just disable the features - they entirely remove the files.

Go read the vLite or other forums, or even just look at how much you could save by removing the printer drivers alone for example. It is entirely possible to get a 7 install - as fully functional as you like and updateable etc - down to around 2GB or so (actually far less, but winsxs stops it going much lower).

As point of fact - this XP install I'm using right now is entirely customised using nLite and runs to about ~600MB fully installed. I have IE8, Outlook Express, WMP11, Office, WLM, can update, am properly activated with my own key, and can run anything you care to name just perfectly. I even have EXFAT support built in. Sure, I made *16* revisions of 7022 before I got a perfectly working one at around 1.8GB - but it works, and that was just with vLite. The whole point was "how compatible/functional can I make this while getting the size down?" I don't lose out on anything by not having excessive amounts of drivers or unnecessary apps. Look at even OSX. You can save around 1GB just by removing the printer drivers. If I know I'm never going to use something, it can basically "GTFO".

The speed difference funnily enough with 7 is more negligable than with Vista or XP. You'll find you get more or less the same framerates between say, Ultimate and a stripped down Ultimate - but to say you can't save a LOT of space if you know what you're doing is just plain wrong. Set up a VM and try it for yourself if you don't believe it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:54 pm 
This is something I will be looking heavily into now, after reading this thread.

I intend to remove one component at a time and document anything it removes & any side effects.

If anyone has any requests, let me know.

Many Thanks,

LeGrande.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
SuSE Linux 7.0
Not to change the subject at all, but the latest Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC1) crashed every time i tried to install it. but here's the odd (and funny) part...Build 7111 would install just fine.

Oh, and when trying to upgrade to RC1, it crashed also.

So, anything obvious that I'm doing wrong...? :?

Mr. Intel

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 pm 
mrintel wrote:
Not to change the subject at all, but the latest Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC1) crashed every time i tried to install it. but here's the odd (and funny) part...Build 7111 would install just fine.

I don't believe that build 7111 was ever released / leaked?

Really you'd be best to wait for build 7600 to become available and try that. You may have got yourself a corrupt ISO.

Did you check the crc values of the iso?

Many Thanks,

LeGrande.

PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:55 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
LeGrande wrote:
mrintel wrote:

I don't believe that build 7111 was ever released / leaked?

Really you'd be best to wait for build 7600 to become available and try that. You may have got yourself a corrupt ISO.

Did you check the crc values of the iso?

Many Thanks,

LeGrande.

Yep 7111 never leaked (do you have it mrintel? and would you like to share it if you have it?).

And Build 7600 RTM is already out, check some torrents.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 : The Slimming Begins        Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
SuSE Linux 7.0
Yeah, sorry about that everyone. It's build 7000. I think I got it confused with the Neptune build 5111. Once again, sorry :oops:

Mr. Intel

Top  Profile  WWW