BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 11h, 56m | CPU: 63% | MEM: 5690MB of 10769MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Living with Windows 7 customisation options...        Posted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:01 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I've been running a similar configuration of W7 on each build (yes, every build) since around 7100. I have now perfected my setup and it's working flawlessly with RTM.

What I want to write here about is the new options to turn off various components / software, aswell as the fact that a load of apps have been bundled off to "Windows Live".

Personally I think this is a good thing - it allows the end user much more customisability. I'm sure that the majority of people who will utilise these features will be geeks. i can see end users just running the config they're given. Personally the only "option" I have turned on is "Windows Search.". I have none of the windows media / IE / Games etc... turned on.

I don't have any music stored locally on my pc anymore. I tend to use Spotify solely, so the need for WMP kinda goes out the window. I do record TV programs to my HD though, and for this I use VLC player. And for web browsing - well, anything is better than IE8 imo.

Love it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows 7 customisation options...        Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
i,ll be adding a folder to the win7-rtm iso called "apps", im not going to be downloading live messenger/mail/movie maker etc over and over,its a waste of time and i don't know if i will always have internet connection near by.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Living with Windows 7 customisation options...        Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:37 am 
Donator

Thats a pretty good idea, if You've already installed Windows Live Essentials you should be able to find the MSI's for the different programs at C:\Program Files\Common Files\WindowsLiveInstaller\MsiSources.

Top  Profile