BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 6h, 3m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 6625MB of 11381MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:28 pm 
Donator

I started a thread like this a long time ago, its long dead an buried somewhere around here, figured I'd start another one now that time has passed and we know what Windows 7 brings to the table.

Like I've said before, I really want to see a major release, and definatley somthing new GUI wise.
A new filesystem would be awesome too, but that seems unlikley.

More or less I just want somthing new, while I get the needs to follow up a major release with a minor release, the whole "following the development of Windows 7" got pretty dull pretty fast. (For me at least)

So yeah, discuss.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I agree completely with your sentiment. For me, Windows 7 seems like Windows Vista "Done Properly Edition". I feel as though Microsoft has got a bit behind itself (again).

Windows 8 really needs to be a major release and bring a lot to the table. This is Microsoft's chance to pull away from Apple and I really hope they do!

Something new in the UI department would be good, but I think there are more pressing matters. I would like to see; a proper new filesystem (ala winfs) & a new way to install / uninstall applications (see : http://betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8345).

Those are my two pet peeves with windows currently.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:19 pm 
Donator

hougtimo wrote:
For me, Windows 7 seems like Windows Vista "Done Properly Edition".

I usually go with the term "Windows Vista R2"

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:03 pm 
Come on people. Windows 7 is a great OS. There are many changes to this "new" operating system, from the kernel to the GUI. It looks like Vista, smells like Vista, but it's not Vista. :)

PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:06 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
What I want is:

- Faster boot times (30 seconds is way too long for modern software, and that excludes the BIOS)
- Nicer GUI, a bit more like OSX but not OSX if you know what I mean
- Less versions... 2 is enough, Home and Business. Throw in server edition if you must.
- Get rid of nag screens like the windows update reminder, that only allows a max of 4 hours between reminders. I will decide when I want to reboot damnit.

That's all I can think of right now, but I sure do have more that I've thought of but can't remember.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
Andy wrote:
- Less versions... 2 is enough, Home and Business. Throw in server edition if you must.
- Get rid of nag screens like the windows update reminder, that only allows a max of 4 hours between reminders. I will decide when I want to reboot damnit.

Agreed, however, have just Workstation and Server a la NT3.x/4.0&w2k and let the user choose what to install in setup (so for workstation give setup "types" for default home, default business and custom for example, and have all the server roles and server core in the server compile).

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:44 pm 
Donator

Local kernel debug on stop error.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:17 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
My Wishlist for Windows "8" •
- Better integration with Explorer. For examples of what I mean, check out Quick Look on Mac OS X, or some of the Longhorn builds... single clicking a media file of any type should bring up a sidebar in the explorer windows with larger scale previews of images, the ability to play songs right from Explorer. Mousing over images should zoom the images ala Longhorn. Make it extendable, and easily so by developers. I want the ability to be able to single click ZIP files, for example, and have the possibility of the Explorer sidebar popping up and showing the contents of the ZIP file. I should be able to access common tasks from this sidebar.

- Better out of the box support for certain tasks - go the Vista route, instead of the 7 route. Bundle Windows Live Mail, further develop Windows Movie Maker, include a GarageBand clone, of the sorts - include Windows Photo Gallery, etc. You know what I'm getting at here.

- Take advantage of WPF. I want to see Microsoft encouraging developers to take advantage of WPF by including apps of it's own with Windows.

- Completely redesigned Windows Internet Explorer with either a completely re-written Trident core on-par with Webkit, or move to WebKit. WebKit is quickly becoming the standard for all modern browsers.

- Full conversion to 64-bit operating systems. As in, when I purchase Windows "8" from NewEgg, or Best Buy, I receive a 64-bit disc and nothing more. Advertise Windows 8 in only it's 64-bit editions, but also make available a new version of Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs - a 32-bit version of Windows 8, essentially. This should be available to those who purchase Windows 8 via a disc replacement program, similar to the $10-for-64bit works today in Vista, only essentially the opposite. Bar OEMs from including Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs with newly purchased computers - it should be available only for those looking to upgrade clearly old, outdated, and unsupported computers.

- Please, god, two editions of Windows "8". Client and Server. That's all. Give people the option to what they want installed and configured on first boot. I should be able to check or uncheck Media Center, BitLocker, Internet Explorer, Business Tools, etc. etc.

- Bar OEMs from ruining the Windows "8" experience by pushing their own pre-installed crap on there. All it does is cause hassle to the consumer who, usually, has no idea how to get rid of the junk. The junk usually makes it so computers aren't even usable out of the box. It's pathetic.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:25 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
I agree with all your points, but especially the last. So many manufacturers now are putting that much junk on their PC's that it becomes too unusable even for browsing! It's stupid... Sure they can do what they want but there has to be some restriction for crying out loud...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:31 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Hmm.

The HP Business line were good.

It only install drivers for the motherboard, not extra junk, unless you run Software Setup from the startmenu, which installs software diagnostics for these specific HP.

But I agree, the laptops and Home PC's are full of [censored] and should have a custom install done or just a normal XP/Vista/7 Install.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:35 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
[*]Be able to mount VHDs from the context menu
[*]Be able to mount ISOs, again from the context menu.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:36 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
hougtimo wrote:

User configurable context menu's would be nice too.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:37 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Andy wrote:
hougtimo wrote:

User configurable context menu's would be nice too.

Yes, indeed. 8)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
hougtimo wrote:

Oh, yes, definitely this. Also include better ISO burning support, what we've got in Windows 7 works, but it's so basic that it's almost painful to use.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:39 pm 
FTP Access

• Remove Ultimate - they're doing that with Office and it's a smart move. Upgrade path to either Home or Pro, and let those be the only two consumer versions.
  • Go through every dialog, change every pre-Vista icon and skin those that are still unskinned (ugh)
  • Seems like this won't be in 7 RTM, but make Aero Peek to Show Desktop transition instant. Why they didn't fix the ~400ms stutter I don't know.
  • Improve Shadow Copy - both allowing external disk backups and getting a better UI to make it as easy as Time Machine
  • Make 1024x768 a requirement. (Windows 7 bitches at you if you go lower than that)
  • Built-in ISO mounting, add VHD mounting to Pro (why leave it only at the Ent/Ult versions?)
    And finally,
  • PLEASE 64-bit only
And it would be nice to buy Opera to make them shut up and base IE9 on that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Some unity in the system tray icons. Infact we could do with s tray system ala longhorn.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:44 pm 
FTP Access

hougtimo wrote:
Some unity in the system tray icons. Infact we could do with s tray system ala longhorn.

Along with the notification system. Remove balloons, bring back the bouncing icon toasts with the countdown.
They're downplaying tray icons due to the fact that (with large icons only) you can display statuses with taskbar icons.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
TheWahbinator wrote:
hougtimo wrote:

Along with the notification system. Remove balloons, bring back the bouncing icon toasts with the countdown.
They're downplaying tray icons due to the fact that (with large icons only) you can display statuses with taskbar icons.

Well then they might like to add the functionality to add statuses to small icons too :)

EDIT & put the emphasis to software developers on developing "live" icons on the superbar. Contain the "tray" to a "classic tray" idea like in LH.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
anything unix-like
It would be nice if they implemented a way in which a folder could be used as a single file, or an executable, like in MacOS X.
As for the GUI, I would like it if they brought back the classic taskbar & start menu, and still include the superbar.
Derf wrote:
- Better out of the box support for certain tasks - go the Vista route, instead of the 7 route. Bundle Windows Live Mail, further develop Windows Movie Maker, include a GarageBand clone, of the sorts - include Windows Photo Gallery, etc. You know what I'm getting at here.

I agree completely.
Derf wrote:
- Completely redesigned Windows Internet Explorer with either a completely re-written Trident core on-par with Webkit, or move to WebKit. WebKit is quickly becoming the standard for all modern browsers.

Just move to Webkit.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:26 pm 
FTP Access

I'd like to see

The return of individual window metrics, why they got rid who knows, but it was a stupid omission.

Live context integration. Wouldn't it be great to be able to right click a file and send it to your Skydrive? (and/or allow mapping like a network drive)

New UI. Vista's was nice compared to XP, but 7? Well its boring to be honest. (I agree with the OSX comment)

Native theming/skinning support. The time has come when people shouldn't need 3rd party apps or hacked system files to use their own themes (.theme/.msstyles).

Bring back DreamScene.

Ditch HDCP, its useless.

FOR GOD SAKE INCLUDE FLAC AND VORBIS COMMENT/FLAC TAG SUPPORT!!!!! WMA LOSSLESS IS CRAP

Fix how the system displays the properties of wav files,its always been broken which is shameful.

FTP with explicit and implicit ssl support.

An overhaul of the Task Manager including better networking options. (something like NetLimiter would be nice)

Change the Windows Mixer back to how it was in XP, but make it look better at least.

Stop asking me if a program I just used ran correctly.

Give us an option to turn off the screen edge snapping thing.

Get rid of the Games explorer it's very annoying and utterly pointless.

Aero effect on jump lists.

Some other stuff I cant think of right now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:40 am 
Donator

New Icons, Windows 7's (& Vista's) are still a little cartoonish for my tastes.

Better use of fonts and text within the UI (See OS X, or even when configured well, Gnome.)

Better WMP integration into the UI (Might be a bit har with all the EU business)

The whole Autoplay thing just needs to be completely redone, I mean look at it.

If there going to ship a firewall with their OS, they may as well make it a decent firewall.

I'm sick of "The start orb"

The Windows Image viewer needs to be overhauled (again) the newer versions in Vista and 7 don't work well with lossy formats like JPG (I'm finding that Jpeg's opened in the thing are quite degraded as opposed to being opened IrfanView or even mspaint.)

Last Windows 7 Build I used didn't have a taskbar toolbar for WMP, I want that brought back.

Better support for PNG's and other file formats as wallpapers.

The "take ownership of this file" option on the right click menu (can be created using WinBubble or adding registry keys) is awesome, I'd love to see that standard.

As OG said, FLAC support would me nice, as would support for FTP with Implicit and Explicit SSL.

A sytem wide equalizer with decent presets (from what I've seen, a lot of decent audio drivers include somthing like this, to anyone reading this I reccomend you play around with your audio settings, if you have a preset called "powerfull" I highly reccomend it)

System restore has a lot of room for improvement.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:49 am 
Donator

1. Integrated OGG/FLAC support.
2. Reworked and more powerful Task Manager.
3. Get rid of that shitty archive wizard and replace it with a decent archive manager, integrated with Explorer that supports some formats other than ZIP and CAB (RAR, 7z, etc.).
4. SSH
5. SFTP
6. Better FTP integration with Explorer. Let me mount an FTP folder locally so that I can seamlessly edit files.
7. CUE/BIN burning and CUE/BIN, ISO mounting support.
8. Faster Boot
9. x64 only
10. No more applications with drivers installed through Windows Update...we want JUST THE DRIVERS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
OG: I have a w7 timebomb/activation crack that also gets rid of the beta watermarks physically in the OS files _and_ enables DreamScene.

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:04 pm 
Donator

QuiescentWonder wrote:
No more applications with drivers installed through Windows Update...we want JUST THE DRIVERS.

Perhaps, I don't mind the app that comes with my Audio driver.

I quite like Derf's idea of 64-bit only with a 32-bit FLP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you want to see in the successor to Windows 7?        Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:28 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
Derf wrote:
My Wishlist for Windows "8" •

MS is already moving to Webkit when the next IE comes out. No more Trident; and that's a big PITA for Valve.

Top  Profile