BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 10h, 1m | CPU: 13% | MEM: 5956MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:09 pm 
Donator

I found this while browsing around:
http://micro8.wordpress.com/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:12 pm 
FTP Access

It looks like another guy wanting attention for his blog.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
FAKE.

1) Microsoft NEVER uses wordpress subsite.
2) That build screen is so fake, that kind of buildtag is never used and the distance from the taskbar and the text in between has not been used since some whistler beta's/RC.

You should label this topic as fake.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
DjRob wrote:
FAKE.

1) Microsoft NEVER uses wordpress subsite.
2) That build screen is so fake, that kind of buildtag is never used and the distance from the taskbar and the text in between has not been used since some whistler beta's/RC.

You should label this topic as fake.

1) I don't think anyone said that this is Microsoft themselves. It seems highly illogical that Microsoft would leak a Windows 8 build screenshot
2) If you noticed, the build tag looks as if it was actually removed and that one was put there for the screenshot.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:34 pm 
Donator

It obviously isn't Microsoft. Whoever it is isn't even claiming to be Microsoft.

The build tag looks ridiculously fake though. For someone who spent that much time on the text of their blog they could have spent a bit more time trying to make the screenshot look more realistic. Not only is the build tag too far away from the corner, it's also the wrong font. Why would Microsoft start using Arial or Tahoma again?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:41 pm 
Donator

And the owner did have some moderation on comments to make sure none of those comments that flames him for posting fake screenshot is out for the rest of the world to see. 8-)

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:26 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
QuiescentWonder wrote:
For someone who spent that much time on the text of their blog they could have spent a bit more time trying to make the screenshot look more realistic.

Oh but all the spelling errors. ha ha. Seriously who is this guy trying to fool.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 am 
Donator

damian wrote:
QuiescentWonder wrote:
For someone who spent that much time on the text of their blog they could have spent a bit more time trying to make the screenshot look more realistic.

Oh but all the spelling errors. ha ha. Seriously who is this guy trying to fool.

His trying to fool people who can't spell? :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:03 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Windows Code Name "8" ... ?

Doesn't work for me.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Me too, I am running server 8 too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:26 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
If people haven't noticed (and it appears that they haven't), there's more than just the build tag changed on that screenshot. Checkout the taskbar.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:43 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Derf wrote:
If people haven't noticed (and it appears that they haven't), there's more than just the build tag changed on that screenshot. Checkout the taskbar.

I don't really see anything. Do you mean the start button?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:24 am 
Donator

The only difference is that different items are pinned to the taskbar and the text has been removed from the Start Menu button. It's pixel-for-pixel the same aside from that. Anyone can use a resource editor and remove some text. Oh... and the use of older Tahoma or Arial fonts again instead of Segoi. Why on earth would they not use Segoi?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
QuiescentWonder wrote:
The only difference is that different items are pinned to the taskbar and the text has been removed from the Start Menu button. It's pixel-for-pixel the same aside from that. Anyone can use a resource editor and remove some text. Oh... and the use of older Tahoma or Arial fonts again instead of Segoi. Why on earth would they not use Segoi?

The two things that are pinned are Windows PowerShell and Server Manager which are available and pinned by default in Windows Server 2008 R2.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:40 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn, Shorthorn, Vista, 7, 8
The website only show a micro 8 concepts. not real build.

sorry my bad english

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Maemo 5 PR1.3
I'd say fake, geez using Segoe UI 12pt is more realistic, and even more, it'd be better if you use ImageCFG to change build version.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
"The builds showcases here"

Microsoft doesn't fail at grammar - I rest my case.

As well, they have their own blog host...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:55 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Yushatak wrote:

I don't think anyone was arguing that this is a Microsoft-official blog. So what case are you resting? What's your point?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Quote:
I don't think anyone was arguing that this is a Microsoft-official blog. So what case are you resting? What's your point?

It's a figure of speech, relax. :|

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Yushatak wrote:
Quote:

It's a figure of speech, relax. :|

I'm fine, it's just that it confuses me when people don't bother to use common sense. :\

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:26 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
\\shelltest\cloaked
I'm curious as to why this thread got bumped, but since it did, here's my opinion (for what it's worth):

1 - Psychological observation shows that this person is *probably* speaking to a particular audience; not just generic passer-by's. They mentioned UX.Unleaked in a manner that assumes those reading are already familiar with that site and everything it's about. This is reinforced by the fact that there is no link to the site anywhere to be found. Likewise, telling everyone to read up on Longhorn (ultimately pointless - even with as much as I love it) is of absolutely no worth or interest to very many folks outside of enthusiasts and only an enthusiast like those around here would understand that (meaning, I wouldn't doubt it if someone in this very thread made that blog). Sure, it's possible a Windows enthusiast/collector could work at Microsoft, but there's already too much going on here that points to, "enthusiast" rather than, "privileged employee."

2 - I highly, highly doubt any Windows 8 builds were compiled in July (even today, for that matter). "Under Construction" in place of the build string? lol. I immediately thought of Neptune and the old Chicago betas. Again, that's not outside of the realm of possibility but seems highly unlikely that we're dealing with something compiled within Microsoft.

3 - Microsoft doesn't, "rope-off" previous build ranges to reserve them for futzing about. That person makes it sound like Microsoft has this Windows 8 lab where they get coders to code this and code that to see if this works or if that works... that's just not efficient development or business. The way that person describes it is the antithesis of a business model like Microsoft's. I know Microsoft spends money on R&D and that they probably have some functions/cultures internally we aren't aware of, but one "Windows 8 lab?" And to quote, "[t]hey are to test possible code, techniques, and UI work that may (or may not) be including in upcoming releases." That whole statement absolutely reeks of unintelligible "guestimation" from a clueless Microsoft enthusiast. There is a LOT that goes into the coding of potential features and the processes that verify, test, and validate them. Features are prototyped and developed by entire TEAMS; not just one lab.

4 - Open that screen shot in Notepad. There, you will fine one of the tell-tale signs of a fake - especially in regards to what should be such a simplistic screenshot: "Photoshop ICC profile" Now, when was the last time you waited for Photoshop to initialize and load up just to take a simple desktop screen shot? Once again, this isn't a fool-proof point but it has been a telling sign regarding fakes in the past.

5 - Don't trust what you want to believe when it comes to stuff like this. When I see things like this, I'll be the first to admit that I WANT it to be the real deal! It's exciting and it gets the endorphins rushing in a geeky kind of way. ^^ Ultimately, when you read that person's blog, do you honestly believe you're reading the words of someone who is so internal to Microsoft that they have access to some special, "Windows 8 lab" where they're calling Windows 8, "Longhorn2" but, "the 'L' word is jinxed" and whatever else? lol.

Not me. And, hey... I'll be the first one to say, "you were right and I was wrong" if someone proves something like this to be real when I'm calling it fake! I've no problems whatsoever admitting fault where stuff like this is concerned. Oh, and now that it's a little over 2 months later, it seems even more apparent that the site was a quick idea that was just as quickly abandoned. Running a site like that based on hypothetical ideas and fake information is a task typically not worth the effort. For those who have put forth the effort in the past, they eventually started tripping over their own lies and misinformation. :evil:

-Stephen

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:44 pm 
Donator

It did look pretty suspicious, why would MS rearrange the buildstring code in Win32k/hydra?

Offtopic Comment
I saw the LH Days videos on your blog, quite interesting UX concept there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
\\shelltest\cloaked
Windows OCManage wrote:
It did look pretty suspicious, why would MS rearrange the buildstring code in Win32k/hydra?

That, too. lol.

-Stephen

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:36 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
XP, 98, Neptune
Yushatak wrote:

This. Screenshot looked laughably fake, too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft Windows 8 - Blog?        Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
MicroXP 0.82
This is a fake.
There is no Windows 8 version available.

Top  Profile