BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 54d, 0h, 55m | CPU: 27% | MEM: 6250MB of 11113MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Does anyone know what the specifications were of the machines used in the Microsoft Labs during the development of the first half of Windows Vista, before the reboot (aka Windows Codename "Longhorn")?

"You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water." --Rabindranath Tagore

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:46 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4044/7700/7950/8888
Many Dell, look the room for compil and test the build:

http://img188.imageshack.us/i/salledevellhvista.png/

http://img17.imageshack.us/i/salledevellhvista2.png/

Mysterious room 8-) :mrgreen:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:16 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
canouna wrote:

Interesting. Looks like Dell Optiplexs. Anyone familiar with the line know what model that is?

"You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water." --Rabindranath Tagore

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:22 am 
Donator

You'd think there'd be more than just one set of specs though, to see how the OS ran on different types of hardware.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:25 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
they look like they could be part of the OptiPlex 360 series.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
Rhykin wrote:
canouna wrote:

Interesting. Looks like Dell Optiplexs. Anyone familiar with the line know what model that is?

Those look to be GX620's judging by the tiny blue Intel sticker at the bottoms of each PC. The combination of that and the silver on the sticket above the Intel one is a dead "Designed for Windows XP" giveaway.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
4tified wrote:
Those look to be GX620's judging by the tiny blue Intel sticker at the bottoms of each PC. The combination of that and the silver on the sticket above the Intel one is a dead "Designed for Windows XP" giveaway.

I'd have to say they are either GX620s or GX520s. Optiplex 360s are too recent.
Unfortunately Dell enjoys making every model look exactly the same... and it doesn't help that's low resolution.
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2148/s ... vista2.png

One interesting note is that those Intel stickers don't seem to have any orange in them, which makes me believe that the processor is not a P4 (although there are variations on the Intel P4 stickers).
http://www.pcrent.co.kr/shop/upload/goo ... -gx620.jpg

I wonder what chipset they had. I believe P4 was the most popular in mid 2004.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
Rhykin wrote:
4tified wrote:

I'd have to say they are either GX620s or GX520s. Optiplex 360s are too recent.
Unfortunately Dell enjoys making every model look exactly the same... and it doesn't help that's low resolution.
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2148/s ... vista2.png

One interesting note is that those Intel stickers don't seem to have any orange in them, which makes me believe that the processor is not a P4 (although there are variations on the Intel P4 stickers).
http://www.pcrent.co.kr/shop/upload/goo ... -gx620.jpg

I wonder what chipset they had. I believe P4 was the most popular in mid 2004.

No orange in the sticker means that these were celeron systems. Probably the higher-end celeron 6xx series. I can think of only 1 good reason to use Celerons - very little cache.

As for the chipset, these machines were probably based around the intel 865 or 915, which were in use by Dell at that time.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:11 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4044/7700/7950/8888
Sorry for the resolution, but i think your are on the good way, Dell Optilex right.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
I own that exact model in the picture, it wasn't used by microsoft or anything.

I can say for sure that it has:

2.00GHz Single Core Celeron
Intel 915
probably 512 or 768MB RAM

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:55 pm 
FTP Access

If i remember right when i was digging around in the .ini files and .sifs it says what the machine it was compiled on was....
setup.sif or something
It was definitely a dell optiplex

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Codename Longhorn lab machine specifications?        Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
alisdair wrote:
If i remember right when i was digging around in the .ini files and .sifs it says what the machine it was compiled on was....
setup.sif or something
It was definitely a dell optiplex

Are you referring to the txtsetup.sif file?
I couldn't find any information in the file about what model the build was compiled on. This file mostly contains device driver information.

Top  Profile