BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 53d, 3h, 26m | CPU: 86% | MEM: 5749MB of 10859MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:52 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4074
Hello could anyone tell me what the most stable version of windows longhorn is? I would also like to know the problems with each version.

Thanks for your Help!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
Sports8632 wrote:
Hello could anyone tell me what the most stable version of windows longhorn is? I would also like to know the problems with each version.

Thanks for your Help!

The build for you would probably be 3718

It's very stable and has a nice Plex theme. Some cool features to play with as well.

You may also want to check out Longhorn 4074; it's not the most stable build but it has loads of fun things to play with. If you want to get 4074 find the "Longhorn Reloaded" project on thepiratebay.org They have removed many of the annoying problems this build has, but it's still not the most stable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:24 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
nookupeous wrote:
If you want to get 4074 find the "Longhorn Reloaded" project on thepiratebay.org They have removed many of the annoying problems this build has, but it's still not the most stable.

Longhorn Reloaded introduced more problems than it solved. It was an awful project.

I'd suggest getting the original build, and using one of the many fix patches, like Longhorn 08 for example.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
Offtopic Comment
We should make a list of the most stable builds for all Windows Betas and put it in the Microsoft OS topic (and sticky it) as a lot of people are asking all the time about this :P

I think that the earliest builds of longhorn are the most stable, but what you want to use really depends on what you want to see and do with longhorn, as they differ quite a lot.

The earliest ones look like a little changed XP, and are quite stable, however you might find places were it says: under development.

I have no experience with it, but I think that the Windows Vista betas are also quite stable, if you mean also that part of longhorn (so longhorn as codename for Vista, not the cancelled part)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000 SP4
zeehonden_3 wrote:
Offtopic Comment
We should make a list of the most stable builds for all Windows Betas and put it in the Microsoft OS topic (and sticky it) as a lot of people are asking all the time about this :P

I think that the earliest builds of longhorn are the most stable, but what you want to use really depends on what you want to see and do with longhorn, as they differ quite a lot.

The earliest ones look like a little changed XP, and are quite stable, however you might find places were it says: under development.

I have no experience with it, but I think that the Windows Vista betas are also quite stable, if you mean also that part of longhorn (so longhorn as codename for Vista, not the cancelled part)

I pretty much tried to pick ones that were stable but still have things that he'd enjoy playing with. And basically there's nothing new/cool to see in the vista betas.

hounsell wrote:
nookupeous wrote:
If you want to get 4074 find the "Longhorn Reloaded" project on thepiratebay.org They have removed many of the annoying problems this build has, but it's still not the most stable.

Longhorn Reloaded introduced more problems than it solved. It was an awful project.

I'd suggest getting the original build, and using one of the many fix patches, like Longhorn 08 for example.

Really I never used it. But I thought that it was better than nothing...there's a horrible memory leak in 4074's explorer.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
I find Build 4093 to be th most stable, until it has a stroke, craps itself, and falls off a bus into the road making a horrible, horrible mess.

Haha, seriously I thought Build 5048 was the most usable, but also the most boring. Build 4074's the most fun to use, in my opinion.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
Quote:

Really I never used it. But I thought that it was better than nothing...there's a horrible memory leak in 4074's explorer.

The memoryleak is because Explorer.exe is a .NET framework application, which is a very bad idea, considering that the Sidebar is a buggy piece of crap and that the CLR of .net 2.0 itself was in Alpha/Beta-Stadium in the Longhorn days.

( .net empowered apps compile themself in realtime on your machine while they are executed, that's because Explorer eats all the memory .. )

If you turn off the Sidebar it get's better, cause the main bug factor has been eleminated and explorer.exe can do it's main job, to display direcories.

There was a reason for MS to include in Vista a more traditional Explorer ( which does not rely on any .net component, only on Windows Codecs and Imaging components ) and make the Sidebar a app on its own ( which also is no more .NET ).

The Longhorn Alphas (40xx) had the framework baked too deep into the OS, starting with Build 5048 right to the rtm of Vista then MS scrapped the idea and includes only few system apps which makes use of it ( Cardspace and Collaboration, Tablet PC panel and Mediacenter for instance ) and most all of them are optional or do not stand in the way of everday OS usage, so the problematic .net factor is no problem since 5048.

You can also make Vista more stable if you make sure the framework 3.x is up to date, because even the .net 3.0 ( which is a superset of 2.0 ) in vista rtm is buggy..

For LH 4074 you can try to install the rtm version of .NET 2.0, which is possible, so at least some problematic assemblies get replaces with bugfree ones. A problem remains that APIs and systemcalls between LH's CLR and the final Net 2.0 has changed and in many ways are incompatible ( especially "Avalon" and "Indigo" in LH is not the same than what .NEt 3.0 is today )

Personally I hate .NET because apps are noticeable slower than ready compiled ones.
With 3.0 SP1 things are going better, and NET 3.5SP1 is fixing a whole of problems and gets a tuneup in speed ( especially Presentation Foundation ), but all that in 4074 days was just starting and not ready for any use .. A clean compiled Sidebar tile, which will eat 120 MB of Ram is just .. well .. :cry:

The idea to build a complete OS on .NET is just horrible. But that was Longhorn's roadmap was originally ( and why it shattered ultimately ). That plus WINFS .. ( A SQL Server indexer running in realtime plus a buggy NET CLR compiling every single window .. )

Do not mistake me ..

I love the Longhorn "vision" ( which is more than a poppy UI ) , but the time was not right and the applications and build tools were not finnished. Barely this is today the case. Vista reloaded aka "7" is going again a bit more to the original Longhorn idea with its libraries and device center, but the road is still long to go .. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:53 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
Derf wrote:
I find Build 4093 to be th most stable, until it has a stroke, craps itself, and falls off a bus into the road making a horrible, horrible mess.

Haha, seriously I thought Build 5048 was the most usable, but also the most boring. Build 4074's the most fun to use, in my opinion.

5048 (aka Vista Alpha 1 ) is simply a Server 2003 with SearchIndexing service ( a pre build of Search 3.0 ) and introduces Vista's idea of the startmenu.. that's because it is stable. The final Vista is still the same ( yes vista is Server03, imagine that ) only with all the extra features and Aero thrown into.

4074 has a tendency to be a individual with no common sense. It can perform good on machine a) while on a machine b) with the exact same hardware it goes crazy..

Also it can work ok for weeks and then crash for no obvious reason.. "fun" .. well, yes in a way :-)

4093 is a stockpile of crap and bugs.. whoever likes to do a hours long install only to find out that literally nothing is working, well .. go ahead.

8-)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:01 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Smartie77 wrote:
Derf wrote:

5048 (aka Vista Alpha 1 ) is simply a Server 2003 with SearchIndexing service ( a pre build of Search 3.0 ) and introduces Vista's idea of the startmenu.. that's because it is stable. The final Vista is still the same ( yes vista is Server03, imagine that ) only with all the extra features and Aero thrown into.

4074 has a tendency to be a individual with no common sense. It can perform good on machine a) while on a machine b) with the exact same hardware it goes crazy..

Also it can work ok for weeks and then crash for no obvious reason.. "fun" .. well, yes in a way :-)

4093 is a stockpile of crap and bugs.. whoever likes to do a hours long install only to find out that literally nothing is working, well .. go ahead.

8-)
Well thank you for pointing out my obvious sarcasm. :-P
Windows Longhorn Build 5048 contains more then you let on - DWM, a newer version of IE (was it still considered 6.05 in this build?), icon scaling technologies, etc.. Build 5048 can actually be a fun build to play around with, because what is there works rather well.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:00 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
In my humbug opinion, the Plex theme in builds from 3683 to 4039 is very beautiful. In the other hand, I don't like the slate & jade themes later. Build 5048 may be a change in security, the theme and the default wallpaper match very great. The aero theme is also good.
Some people around me may not adapt to the new os because they are so lazy that they won't learn something new....but I still try to make them change their opinions.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:13 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4079 (ZionOS) mod
If he depends You on appearance and curiosities, then he good is the Longhorn 4028 (server), which recommended me the different user of this forum (Thank You :) ).
However effective but very simple, there is the LH 5048 (but this is pseudo Vista).
This is only my opinion after the tests of systems. In the measure stable.

I install the LH 4093 today, because I am HordCore :P . I want to create fixes and modifications to him. :) But I dissuade him!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is the most stable build of Win Longhorn?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:53 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
full story :

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/ ... ghorn.html

May 25, 2005 3:38 PM
The 'Dirty Little Secret' About Longhorn

( here excerpts only )

"The original plan for Longhorn was to build lots of components on top of the next version of the .Net Framework," [....] "But given how late (.Net Framework 2.0) is, and how new it would be (Microsoft Chairman) Bill Gates realized it would be foolish to build important pieces of Longhorn on top of .Net."
[....]
"Everything in Longhorn was supposed to be written in C# and to be managed code. But managed code was going to require machines that weren't going to be available for five years or more. So now Microsoft is rewriting everything in Longhorn, the developer says."

full story : http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/ ... ghorn.html

[i]Smartie :[/i]

That is in short words what I wanted to express in the posts above..

The reason for the instability and memoryleaks in most 40xx builds is because they had (unfinnished ) NET /WPF(Avalon) alpha implemented. From top to ground right into Explorer itself.. the 5xxx builds have this not, as described in the article from 2005 above..

Plus search/indexing is handled via ressourcekilling ( and buggy/broken ) WinFS (aka SQL Desktop engine ) in 40xx while it is handled via scaled down Desktopsearch in 5xxx and Vista/2008/7 rtm.

So if anyone tries to play with 4xxx builds, here are the reasons for the bugs : buggy NET and memkilling WINFS.

tragically these core-pillars in 4xxx cannot be replaced with some alternatives. In fact the net empowered Explorer UI is more or less a frontend to WINFS-queries .. you can see that if you disable all the WINFS services, that huge parts of the Startmenu and Explorer , Adressbook and Outlook Express become totally disfunctional. They were all designed to go hand in hand in Longhorn. What's left after disabling the annoyances is only a skin for a XP-like OS, which will still have countless bugs. :?

The Longhorn 2003/2004 builds must be seen as design and tech - studies. With 50xx MS got back to real life and to reduce what is technically possible. At least Vista contains some replacements which resemble a bit the originally ideas : think of the new Contacts/Adressbook and the preview handlers in explorer..

features like these date back to the 40xx builds, although todays technical implementation is handled totally different in rtm - but, hey.. they work :mrgreen:

The only visible NET leftover in every Vista SKU is "Cardspace" .. it's assembly is part of WINFX = Net 3.0.
If you install Net 3.x on XP it will also be there in XPs control panel ( and it's the only controlpanel option which will show "uninstall" on right-clicking )

Top  Profile