BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 16h, 16m | CPU: 82% | MEM: 5764MB of 10453MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
Hello,

At home, I've got a Windows XP which you can install and activate as many times as you want (I thought only for once a month). Is there something like that too for Windows Vista, and will there be something like that for Windows 7?

I have got three computers, and if I want to put Windows 7 RTM on them all, and I have to buy all single licences, it would be a bit too expensive (well a lot). Is there something like that XP? I don't need the support of Microsoft (which raises the price so much).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
Sounds like you're referring to a VLK license?

Doesn't sound like you're using it quite right ;)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
hougtimo wrote:
Sounds like you're referring to a VLK license?

Doesn't sound like you're using it quite right ;)

I don't know what it is I thought that it was an OEM license. I bought it at a normal computer shop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Windows XP (and Vista) can only be re-activated on the same computer, with the same hardware (if you have retail or OEM).

VLK is only for XP Professional, and you do not need to activate it.
XP was the last version (server 2003 is also in that range) with VLK license.
The official activation of XP is 5 times and for Vista 10 times.

Windows Vista has something called KMS activation, which is 1 time every 180 days.

But why reinstall/reactivate XP so short after each other, if you must do that (forced by WGA or something) you have an illegal version, which you should get an official one.

Pirated, cracked and heavy modified (like something of XP where everything is taken out and barely usable) are illegal and can also be infected just by installing it.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:10 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
DjRob wrote:
Windows XP (and Vista) can only be re-activated on the same computer, with the same hardware (if you have retail or OEM).

VLK is only for XP Professional, and you do not need to activate it.
XP was the last version (server 2003 is also in that range) with VLK license.
The official activation of XP is 5 times and for Vista 10 times.

Windows Vista has something called KMS activation, which is 1 time every 180 days.

But why reinstall/reactivate XP so short after each other, if you must do that (forced by WGA or something) you have an illegal version, which you should get an official one.

Pirated, cracked and heavy modified (like something of XP where everything is taken out and barely usable) are illegal and can also be infected just by installing it.

It really isn't warez! I'm 100% sure. And the funny thing is that it is not proffessional, but home! I don't have to activate windows that many times, but I can do it (every time on another computer). I want to have a vista and 7 (when it is released) of that too, because otherways I would have to pay 600-1000 euros for only three computers!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:12 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
All sounds decidedly fishy to me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:23 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I have had the same kind of thing with my copy of Windows XP home on my old Dell. Every time I replace the network adapter, or any otehr piece of hardware (one time a USB printer) it needs to be reactivated, that along with me doing a clean install every few months just to keep the "new XP smell" in. I have also installed and activated it on a few others systems and had them all running and updating at the same time (no problems yet). I think that key has been activated atleast 20 times by now, and it still keeps activating.
Since it is an OEM key, it might be a little more leanient than a regular retail key.
Other think i remember is that build 6801 could be activated with Windows Vista beta keys and you can use that same idea (press 1 a bunch) to activate xp alot over the phone.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi,

Let me clarify that a bit (and i do for MS, so i kinda know ;)

OEM License = sold together with hardware or a computer, this license belongs to the computer, and can be activated on the same hardware as many times as its needed (may differ from country to country)

Retail License = May be moved between computers, BUT, only used at one computer at a time

VLK = Volume License = Something sold to companies eg. together with software assourance.

This applies both most products, if you have further projects, have a look at microsoft.com or read the UELA ;-)

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:21 pm 
FTP Access

DjRob wrote:

Retail allows transfers, but it can only be installed on 1 computer at a time. OEM does not allow transfers. That's pretty much the difference between OEM and Retail licenses.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:28 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
That and the support options.

Eg. on Office 2007 retail and Windows Vista you get 3 months unlimited free support from Microsoft Tech support, on OEM products, its up to the OEM provider to support (if he wants to, its not a requirement)

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
leonbollerup wrote:

Eg. on Office 2007 retail and Windows Vista you get 3 months unlimited free support from Microsoft Tech support, on OEM products, its up to the OEM provider to support (if he wants to, its not a requirement)

The support options are actually unavailibe from Microsoft. For OEM product that you buy pre-installed, the computer manufacturer choses whether to provide support. If you buy it yourself, you muct provide support. OEM licenses are for computer resellers, not for personal use. IF YOU ARE INSTALLING WINDOWS ON YOU PC YOU MUST MUST BUY RETAIL NOT OEM!!! :P Its a violation of the End-User License Agreement to use OEM for your own computer. It is for computer resellers. BUY RETAIL! Volume Licenses are not for a indivisual's use; They are NEVER legally sold in a computer shop. You must have 5 or more PCs and SIGN AN AGREEMENT for a VL to be genuine for production use.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:49 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
lol motherboardlove, The EULA is the most fail to ever have exista- Oh wait, the RIAA and CAPPA suck more.

np: Dont Download This Song - Wierd Al Yankovic - //piracy4evar/Music/

Sorry, I'm a bit pro-piracy atm >_>

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
WildEye001 wrote:
lol motherboardlove, The EULA is the most fail to ever have exista- Oh wait, the RIAA and CAPPA suck more.

np: Dont Download This Song - Wierd Al Yankovic - //piracy4evar/Music/

Sorry, I'm a bit pro-piracy atm >_>

I am anti-pro-piracy a.k.a. anti-piracy.

The EULA is a legally binding agreement, and by uploading or downloading pirated software you are violating that.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
well.. legaly and legaly.. that depends on the country.. eg. in my country, you have to put your signature on it for it to be legally binding in a court of law - BUT - people _should_ read the EULA, because that way, we wouldent even have topics like this on BA ;)

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:09 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
I don't usually even read the EULA except for when i'm bored\don't have anything else to do.
Offtopic Comment
I find it funny that the EULA for iTunes says that you agree not to make missiles or other weapons using iTunes... I don't even know how that is possible, but I agreed to it anyways...

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
i think thats common for most :)

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Windows Vista and 7 as many times as you wish?        Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:51 pm 
Donator

motherboardlove wrote:
leonbollerup wrote:

The support options are actually unavailibe from Microsoft. For OEM product that you buy pre-installed, the computer manufacturer choses whether to provide support. If you buy it yourself, you muct provide support. OEM licenses are for computer resellers, not for personal use. IF YOU ARE INSTALLING WINDOWS ON YOU PC YOU MUST MUST BUY RETAIL NOT OEM!!! :P Its a violation of the End-User License Agreement to use OEM for your own computer. It is for computer resellers. BUY RETAIL! Volume Licenses are not for a indivisual's use; They are NEVER legally sold in a computer shop. You must have 5 or more PCs and SIGN AN AGREEMENT for a VL to be genuine for production use.

OEM softwares are sold with a purchase of new hardware(s). To use OEM, you have to use it with that new hardware. It is fine to buy OEM if you are building a new computer or upgrading it. OEM doesn't need a specially qualify person to buy it. I think a new keyboard/mouse isn't really consider new hardware, but some do sell for just that. Don't buy retail if you are assembling a new computer, it's a waste of money unless you want the support.

VLK licenses are designed for business and education. Hence there is no Home VLK. They need an agreement to be sign.

Upgrade licenses are for upgrade from a qualify version only.

Retail licenses are the most flexible and expensive licenses around. You can move the license to another computer after a certain time period. In XP, with retail licenses, you can reactivate on a different computer every 120 days. I don't think it's the same for vista/7. You will have to call them and explain, the automatic system will not activate for you. Technically you can activate alot of computers with one license by calling them.

No one really care if you're using software legally or not. Most of MS' revenue comes from OEM licenses sold to large computer manufactures like IBM, Dell and HP.

Top  Profile