BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 5h, 0m | CPU: 100% | MEM: 6084MB of 11555MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:31 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
When I was looking at a video of the Mix09 (Disigning the Windows 7 Desktop Experience), I saw this dia:

It says: Windows 2007. Was this in the beginning the reason to call it Windows 7, or is it a mistake? I know the reason for now (however I think it is not really clear).

Edit: lateron he says: "this review named windows 7 windows 2007 which is kind of interesting". So is it a mistake? Or is there a good reason for it?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:44 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I think this is only a mistake, never heard „Windows 2007” before...

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:01 pm 
Donator

Windows vista could possibly be called Windows 2007 along with Office 2007. But Windows 2009/2010 fits better for Windows 7 along with Office 2010.

Of course, MS stop naming there Windows after the year.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:17 pm 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
This probably highlights the fact that only MS's marketing team knows the name of the OS.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:42 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
The original name for Windows 7 was 'Blackcomb;' and it was to be XP's (Whistler) successor, to be released in around 2004 (if memory serves).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Actually, Blackcomb was suppose to be released in 2005, but then Microsoft announced Longhorn, which was suppose to be released in 2003 as a minor OS release.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:16 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Thlump wrote:
Actually, Blackcomb was suppose to be released in 2005, but then Microsoft announced Longhorn, which was suppose to be released in 2003 as a minor OS release.

This isn't Blackcomb though. Blackcomb died. Vienna isn't even real (I know you didn't mention it, I'm just throwing it out there). Longhorn was a scrapped plan, it became a major OS. 7 is just another Windows continuation, but not as Blackcomb.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:17 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
So Blackcomb's fate was similar to that of Odyssey?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:32 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
I dunno, I sorta feel and seem to remember that Blackcomb was to be the next major OS after Longhorn. That said, Vista is essentially LongHorn, and 7 is a minor release. Vienna apparently was a re-named blackcomb. In my opinion, Windows 8 is Blackcomb.

I've noticed that in certain build strings of misc. updates that microsoft releases, the "lhlab" still exists - the internal codename of Vista build labs appear to still be longhorn. Windows 7 builds are tagged "win7", which is what Windows 7 has been codenamed since the project started.

If the first binaries from Windows 8 leak out and say anything other than lh, vista, or win7 as the build tag, then we should have a fair idea as to what the next codename will be, aside from the probable win8.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:13 am 
Donator

Panda X wrote:
This isn't Blackcomb though. Blackcomb died. Vienna isn't even real (I know you didn't mention it, I'm just throwing it out there). Longhorn was a scrapped plan, it became a major OS. 7 is just another Windows continuation, but not as Blackcomb.

And yet, I got people at my place still arguing that Windows 7 comes from Blackcomb :mrgreen:

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:19 pm 
I guess its Vista, first builds of Vista Starter were called "Starter 2007".

http://winfuture.de/screenshots/Windows ... 556-1.html

PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:55 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:

Great find, too bad whe don't have any early Vista Starter Edition builds on the BA FTP Server :cry:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:21 pm 
SLAYERMAGGOT wrote:
Namronia wrote:

Great find, too bad whe don't have any early Vista Starter Edition builds on the BA FTP Server :cry:

We have I think, its the normal Version, but no one has a serial.

PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:17 pm 
Donator

Namronia wrote:
SLAYERMAGGOT wrote:
Namronia wrote:

We have I think, its the normal Version, but no one has a serial.

It's the same ISO as the vista (x86 only) we use. You can test it, you just can't activate it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:35 pm 
I think this is only a mistake, never heard „Windows 2007” before...only win2003server

PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:33 pm 
Donator

I doubt Windows 7 was ever supposed to be Windows 2007, but your posts sounds Like Daniels with a small word jumble...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:29 am 
Administrator

We have already seen in the past that codenames and projects merge together into a new one (Odyssey etc), so it's not too far out to speculate that Blackcomb and Vienna has simply been merged into a new OS, perhaps the next version of Windows, perhaps parts of it into Windows 7. As Microsoft make plans for future releases they codename the various projects, then perhaps they realize that some main features should be merged, scrapped or moved, thus creating a new project and scrapping the old ones, along with their respective codenames. Since Microsoft never goes out with a clear message that they scrapped a particular codename all we get are speculations (and heated such as we've seen here), but it is a fact that mergers and splits happens with projects. And how do you name a project where parts of say, Vienna and parts of Blackcomb are combined? You make up a new codename for the project that merged the two old ones... I simply don't think it's just that easy to say that "Windows 7 is Blackcomb". Win7 became the end product we call Windows 7. Just as Longhorn did become the end product we know as Vista, regardless of what Microsoft wanted Longhorn to become in the beginning. And with Longhorn Microsoft proved to us very well that things changes during a product development.

Personally I doubt we'll ever see Blackcomb or Vienna in anything (unless MS recycles the codenames) and that part of it may already have ended up with Windows 7, while other parts are worked on for the successor. Time will tell if I am right :).

As for "Windows 2007" this may have been a slipup, or it could have been the very original idea of what Vista or Windows 7 was supposed to become. I mean, it won't be far until we start hearing rumors about "Windows 8", and who knows, perhaps Microsoft will go the "Office" way and call it Windows 2010 (or whatever year they think it will be released).

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Thlump wrote:
So Blackcomb's fate was similar to that of Odyssey?
Don't listen. Blackcomb is what became 7; I remember reading about the name changes and changes of ideas while they were happening.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: The name of Windows 7, Was it first Windows 2007?        Posted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
The code of windows 7 is blackcomb, and later changed to vienna. So this "windows 2007" may be wrong.

Top  Profile  WWW