BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 23d, 7h, 48m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 5392MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
I've heard talk on random BBS sites here and there regarding MS going to Cloud once W7 is out the door. Others have touted that Windows 8 (or Windows 7 Mk 2 depending on what they want to do) will definitely be on the cards.

Silly question to ask but has anyone heard anything as to which way they might be leaning at this stage...?

Out of interest, does anyone have a preference over cloud or local OS?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:04 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I think local OS'es will always be around - because not every computer has an internet connection.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:25 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 Ultimate
Next client release of Windows I hope will be 64bit only, but I think that Netbooks (I mean Low cost small notebook PC) have kinda killed that idea....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:21 pm 
FTP Access

merty wrote:
Next client release of Windows I hope will be 64bit only, but I think that Netbooks (I mean Low cost small notebook PC) have kinda killed that idea....

Some of the Atom processors do come with the 64-bit extension. I really think Intel should have offered it on all Atom processors.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:32 pm 
FTP Access

They'll probably focus more on Azure and Midori, and continue minor but substantial updates to the client on Windows 8.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:07 pm 
Donator

Midori certainly isn't going to be replacing Windows any time soon, and no "cloud" OS. We'll just see another Windows release with more support for newer technologies, as usual, and more online services will be integrated into the software.

That's my half educated take on the situation.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:39 am 
FTP Access

They're apparently already working on Windows 8. (Probably only planning stages right now)
The only solid fact about the next Windows is that it will be released only in 64-bit; Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 7 will be the last version to ship in both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:44 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
F44 Control wrote:
Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 7 will be the last version to ship in both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Though they said the same thing about Vista before going back on that promise. I hope that they'll stick to it this time.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:10 pm 
Donator

Before vista though the average person hadn't even considered a 64 bit version of Windows. And most still are on a 32 bit XP so it was harder than they thought it would be for people to change. Overall I think it would be much easier to change now than when vista came out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:33 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
hounsell wrote:
F44 Control wrote:
Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 7 will be the last version to ship in both 32-bit and 64-bit.

Though they said the same thing about Vista before going back on that promise. I hope that they'll stick to it this time.

Why do you want 64-bit only? So yo can shut the older computer out? Why not have an OS EVERYONE can use instead of one that only maybe 70% can use?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:38 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
motherboardlove wrote:
hounsell wrote:
F44 Control wrote:

Why do you want 64-bit only? So yo can shut the older computer out? Why not have an OS EVERYONE can use instead of one that only maybe 70% can use?

Why not.

Unless you have an PC that has an Pentium 1/2/3/4 and less then 2gb RAM you can use the new Windows 7, but keep in mind that most machine then only run in Windows BASIC/CLASSIC theme and will not run fast like the original OS on that PC.

And if you buy a new PC (or an PC that is newer then late 2006/2007) you have an 64-bit processor, just get more RAM and an x64 OS then you are fine.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:11 am 
Donator

Another think to take into account is that a lot of home users don't even know they have an x64 processor, what x64 is, or why they'd need a different OS.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:22 am 
FTP Access

motherboardlove wrote:

Tell that to Apple and reports of discontinuing PowerPC support in Slow Leopard.
Although I think PowerPC's marketshare is significantly lower than Macs with Intel.
J.Byrne wrote:
Another think to take into account is that a lot of home users don't even know they have an x64 processor, what x64 is, or why they'd need a different OS.

That's Microsoft's problem now. :P

I have a MacBook with 2GB of RAM. 32-bit Windows 7 takes up less RAM then 64-bit did, so I will need to upgrade to 4GB sometime in the future.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:48 am 
Donator

motherboardlove wrote:

Because by the time Windows "8" comes out any acceptable hardware for running it on will be 64 bit.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
So i see it finally comes the time where MS decides to kill DOS/Win16 compatibility. I'll miss you, Tetris!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:46 am 
FTP Access

nickenzi wrote:
So i see it finally comes the time where MS decides to kill DOS/Win16 compatibility. I'll miss you, Tetris!

There's always virtual pcs and DOSBox.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:03 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
F44 Control wrote:
There's always virtual pcs and DOSBox.

Too much effort.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:27 am 
FTP Access

It's still possible. :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
bradphipps wrote:
I've heard talk on random BBS sites here and there regarding MS going to Cloud once W7 is out the door. Others have touted that Windows 8 (or Windows 7 Mk 2 depending on what they want to do) will definitely be on the cards.

Silly question to ask but has anyone heard anything as to which way they might be leaning at this stage...?

Cloud? What's that?

And I have reason to believe that Windows will go to either versions 8 or 9, and then will be discontinued altogether and replaced.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
marktuson wrote:
bradphipps wrote:

Cloud? What's that?

And I have reason to believe that Windows will go to either versions 8 or 9, and then will be discontinued altogether and replaced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_(operating_system)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What do you think will happen post-Windows 7?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:53 pm 
Donator

I think what you meant to link to was this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing

Of course there isn't going to be a cloud OS, the OS needs to be local with a browser at the very very least. Maybe they're going to have more cloud-based services. We already know Office is going into the browser.

Google already has spreadsheet, calendar, email and word processing all online. http://zoho.com/ has practically everything online and http://www.salesforce.com/ is powerful online CRM software. They're all in the cloud, so to speak.

Top  Profile