BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 18h, 16m | CPU: 19% | MEM: 5591MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: What is IDS/IDW ?        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:29 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
There have been a lot of questions regarding IDS builds on BA and on other boards recently.
I decided to make this post for giving a short overview of the developer builds.

There are 3 kinds of these developer builds, which are:

IDW - Internal Developer Workstation
IDS - Internal Developer Server

Originally the IDS term was used to describe a build which can be used as a server and the IDW term
was used for a build which can be used as a workstation inside Microsoft "without too much pain".
Later, this connotation has changed and these builds have been seperated into two "tiers": IDW for
unstable builds and IDS for builds which are a bit more stable than IDW builds, but not as stable as
beta builds. IDS builds did not have to be a Server anymore (and vice versa). Today, the term IDW
is used for CTPs and stuff like this and the term IDS is used to describe unstable builds, or builds of a
"helper-branch" (for example winmain_win7ids). The term IDX (Internal Developer Client/Server)
is used to avoid confusion between IDS and IDW.

EDW - External Developer Workstation
This was used during the final development of Windows Vista (between RC and RTM), for builds which
got released to the TAPs. I am not sure if this term was used for anything else, but I think you can
compare this with the IDX builds of Windows 7 (which are not as stable as a RC).

I might be wrong with parts of what I said above, so if you know better, please correct me!

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: What is IDS/IDW ?        Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Great post Daniel. You forget this post though, it's info about the IDS builds from one of your posts in Aeroxp

http://www.aeroxp.org/board/index.php?s ... t&p=144255

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: What is IDS/IDW ?        Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4044/7700/7950/8888
Yeah, thanks for this great post !

Top  Profile  WWW