BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 9h, 44m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5640MB of 10857MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [Guide][Windows7]Downgrade WMP to WMP11        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:09 pm 
For those users like me who prefer WMP11 over Beta 12, follow this guide.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if you break your windows media player, or windows itself for that matter. I recommend to take backups of *ALL* files that will be replaced, in case something goes wrong.

Proof:
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7972/desktopwmp1tg0.jpg
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9153/desktopwmp2px2.jpg
Sorry for not using the image uploader im having problems uploading files

Now that that's over with, here is the guide.

1.- run services.msc and stop Windows Media Player Sharing Service.
2.- take ownership of C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
3.- take ownership of all files starting with wmp in C:\WINDOWS\System32\
4.- take ownership of C:\Windows\System32\en-US\wmploc.dll.mui
5.- Delete the contents of C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
6.- Copy the contents of Windows Media Player.rar to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player
7.- Delete all files starting with wmp in C:\WINDOWS\System32
8.- Copy the files from wmp.rar to C:\WINDOWS\System32 *EDIT* DO NOT COPY WMPLOC.DLL in WMP.rar *EDIT*
9.- Copy wmploc.dll from wmploc_WMP11.rar to C:\Windows\system32\
10.- Copy wmploc.dll.mui from wmploc_WMP11.rar to C:\Windows\system32\en-US\
11.- Run (with administrator priviledges) wmp.reg
12.- Run (with administrator priviledges) toolbar_fix.reg
13.- Run (with administrator Priviledges) register.bat
14.- Delete the following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Setup\Installed Versions
15.- Reboot
16.- Open WMP and setup media sharing.
17.- You're done.

Credit to:

Kelly's Corner for the toolbar fix
fediafedia (joejoe) for the WMP skin

Download link: WMP Downgrade Files
Download link (wmploc_WMP11.rar): WMPLOC WMP11
Download link (auto installer thanks to kairu): Auto Installer

PostPost subject: Re: [Guide][Windows7]Downgrade WMP to WMP11        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:37 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
A note.

The refers to build 7000, which is almost expired and now have regular shutdowns every 2 hours.

But I am not sure if it also works on 7100.

The Windows Media Player 11 is still in there in the player window go to the edge and you see a button in the right corner above, click it and you are in the familiar library screen.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Guide][Windows7]Downgrade WMP to WMP11        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:39 pm 
It works with every build, but on newer buils when enabling the wmp taskbar youll get a warning message referring to the taskbar not being made for that version of windows, just ignore it

PostPost subject: Re: [Guide][Windows7]Downgrade WMP to WMP11        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:43 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Does it work correctly then with the ''big'' superbar enabled as it's by default with Windows installation?

But if it works, this is great for people who hate WMP12 but love WMP11.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [Guide][Windows7]Downgrade WMP to WMP11        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:45 pm 
Build 7000 will have the reboot problem in July not June that was a Microsoft typo.

On topic. Windows media player 12 lacks some of the features in WMP which is why users want to revert.

1. Taskbar controls - cool and easy access to everything
2. Miniplayer - if you have WMP11 try this. take your window and make it as small as possible. The wmp window snaps into a small and discrete package giving you desktop access to your music controls. 12 just resizes into a square with album art with controls only appearing when you mouse over. its more of the Apple-esque Simple but not Smart design pattern seen in Windows 7 UI
3. Looks better - to each his own but the transparent control bar on the bottom of the window made this a very attractive application in my opinion. its a mystery to me why they changed the library view from that design to a light blue theme.
4. Works better - again debatable and also recent builds seem to be much mroe stable than the 7000 build which had the ability to corrupt mp3s if you didnt patch.

I hope when people read this thread they dont throw us off as crazies. Considering there are users here that run Longhorn alphas for their main machines, cut us some slack guys.

PostPost subject: Re: [Guide][Windows7]Downgrade WMP to WMP11        Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:49 pm 
Yes i agree WMP11 is superior to 12.

Good point on the taskbar though, ive always run 7 using the small taskbar as i dont like the big version, i dont know how it would look on the big one.

Two more things:

To revert back to WMP12 run> sfc /scannow
One known bug when doing this is anytime you double click a media file registered to WMP (audio, video, doesnt matter) it will not open and eventuall give you a "Server Execution" failure. I couldnt resolve this, the only way i found out to bypass this is by right clicking the file then choosing: Open With> Windows Media Player