BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 29d, 8h, 1m | CPU: 52% | MEM: 6178MB of 11306MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 10:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Over two years ago, in February, 2007, I joined a number of computer users and became an early adopter of Windows Vista. I was particularly interested in replacing XP with Vista, given how radical the pace of advancement from XP to Vista was. While it had its hitches in the beginning, it eventually matured to a point where I was happy to use it as my main operating system. By June, I was using Vista regularly, and had few complaints about it.

But, two years later, and with Windows 7's release coming in the not-so-distant future, I feel as though Microsoft is moving away from Vista too soon. That said, 7 retains many of the same features and frontend aesthetics as Vista. I spent $160 on Vista, so spending another bit of money to get 7 feels somewhat bittersweet. This is not to say that 7 is a bad operating system (I've been using Windows 7 since the pre-beta), but the act of buying another OS so soon renders my previous investment obsolete.

I love Windows 7, but I feel that Microsoft should integrate the changes that they have made to Vista's base into one huge service pack, free to all users with a Vista license.

We shall see. But if it is not cost-effective for me, I am staying with Vista until the next major release of Windows.

Last edited by XX55XX on Thu May 21, 2009 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 11:29 pm 
FTP Access

If Windows Vista were to get a service pack that would have basically everything Windows 7 had, why would they even sell Windows 7? It would be the exact same thing.

Service Pack 2 for Windows XP was like a Second Release and unconventional because of all the features it had, not normal to a service pack, and Microsoft could've sold it as an upgrade. But the features of Windows 7 are designed to be for a new version, not an addon. Microsoft COULD and SHOULD give Windows 7 free to users that got screwed over when they bought Vista Ultimate expecting Ultimate Extras.

I don't believe Windows 7 is coming too soon:
Windows 2000 - About 2 year gap between availability - Windows XP
Windows Me - 1 year gap between availability - Windows XP
Windows Vista - 2 year gap, nearly 3 between availability - Windows 7

It probably seems too soon for some people because there was a 6 year gap between Windows XP and Windows Vista so people aren't used to getting new versions that quickly anymore.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
I paid $40 for Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade (used, but non-activated), then sent $10 to Microsoft for a 64-bit version of the disc. To me, Vista is more than usable, but I have more than one PC and the features in Windows 7 have become SO indespinsable, so I think I will be purchasing a Windows 7 license as well.

To me, Windows 7 has become the OS that Vista was destined to be. It is all the complaints and user feedback that drive Microsoft to develop 7 into what it is so far. If it wasn't for Vista, Windows 7 would not be. The trick is to find a cheaper license or, if Microsoft is still allowing the upgrade loophole, go that route. Noone wants to shell out 200+ dollars for another Windows license, this soon after Vista....but to me, both work great and have their place.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Well, use a pirate copy then if money is an objection. Note that BetaArchive does not encourage piracy.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 2:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
It's a shame our beta keys won't work with the RTM. :P

I bought my Vista license when I got this laptop almost two years ago. I never went out and bought a disc when it was released - I was still weary of it, and wanted to get the full experience of it with a new PC anyway.

Here I am using Windows 7, and I love it. Especially on notebooks - Microsoft has done some impressive things with Windows 7. For one example, my battery lasts considerably longer while running Windows 7 than Vista. (Something I believe Paul Thurrott originally pointed out.)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:04 am 
Donator

I'll also skip Windows7 because there is no need to upgrade vom Vista. The really new fetaures (DirectAcess, BranchCache) are features for enterprise users. Windows 7 is Windows Mojave (Vista Features with a new Name) so that all the n00bs upgrade from XP.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:21 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
I'd agree that Vista is not a big enough step forward from Vista to warrant the outlay that Microsoft will ask to upgrade to 7, especially when I have 4 computers in my house running Vista, that adds up to a lot of money.

I'm just happy that my Technet and MSDN-AA will get the 7 licences I need so I will be able to upgrade. Otherwise, I definitely would not. Vista is a fine OS that does almost everything 7 does.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 6:48 am 
FTP Access

Well, I'm certain to switch to 7, because I've won it in certain contest :) 'm going to receive it afyer it's released. Unfortunately, I've won version Home Premium, but upgrade to Professional shouldn't be that expensive.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:55 pm 
Donator

I stayed on XP on most of my computers so I am going to upgrade the ones that are capable.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:10 am 
FTP Access

For some reason, I feel that Windows 7 = Snow Leopard. It's essentially what Vista or Leopard should have been performance wise. idk, this is how I feel on these updates. And I must agree with above about selling XP SP2. It could have sold like Windows 98 SE in a separate CD and would have helped Microsoft financially. There is a HUGE difference between SP1 and SP2 in terms of stability and features.

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7
XX55XX wrote:
Over two years ago, in February, 2009, I joined a number of computer users and became an early adopter of Windows Vista. I was particularly interested in replacing XP with Vista, given how radical the pace of advancement from XP to Vista was. While it had its hitches in the beginning, it eventually matured to a point where I was happy to use it as my main operating system. By June, I was using Vista regularly, and had few complaints about it.

But, two years later, and with Windows 7's release coming in the not-so-distant future, I feel as though Microsoft is moving away from Vista too soon. That said, 7 retains many of the same features and frontend aesthetics as Vista. I spent $160 on Vista, so spending another bit of money to get 7 feels somewhat bittersweet. This is not to say that 7 is a bad operating system (I've been using Windows 7 since the pre-beta), but the act of buying another OS so soon renders my previous investment obsolete.

I love Windows 7, but I feel that Microsoft should integrate the changes that they have made to Vista's base into one huge service pack, free to all users with a Vista license.

We shall see. But if it is not cost-effective for me, I am staying with Vista until the next major release of Windows.

thay did intagrate all the new fetures int vista..
thay called it windows 7 now u can ither torrent the RTM and use a crack when it comes oit
u could use the RC free fr a year...

or you could pay for 7 when it cmes out ..

have a nice day

Top  Profile  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:56 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
angelwolf71885 wrote:
XX55XX wrote:
Over two years ago, in February, 2009, I joined a number of computer users and became an early adopter of Windows Vista. I was particularly interested in replacing XP with Vista, given how radical the pace of advancement from XP to Vista was. While it had its hitches in the beginning, it eventually matured to a point where I was happy to use it as my main operating system. By June, I was using Vista regularly, and had few complaints about it.

thay did intagrate all the new fetures int vista..
thay called it windows 7 now u can ither torrent the RTM and use a crack when it comes oit
u could use the RC free fr a year...

or you could pay for 7 when it cmes out ..

have a nice day

Well, I prefer to keep my OS's legit. Just a preference.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:48 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
4tified wrote:
I paid $40 for Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade (used, but non-activated), then sent $10 to Microsoft for a 64-bit version of the disc. To me, Vista is more than usable, but I have more than one PC and the features in Windows 7 have become SO indespinsable, so I think I will be purchasing a Windows 7 license as well.

To me, Windows 7 has become the OS that Vista was destined to be. It is all the complaints and user feedback that drive Microsoft to develop 7 into what it is so far. If it wasn't for Vista, Windows 7 would not be. The trick is to find a cheaper license or, if Microsoft is still allowing the upgrade loophole, go that route. Noone wants to shell out 200+ dollars for another Windows license, this soon after Vista....but to me, both work great and have their place.

Upgrade loophole?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
marktuson wrote:
4tified wrote:

Upgrade loophole?

The "Upgrade loophole" is a bug in the Windows Vista Operating System that allows you install and use a Upgrade version of Windows Vista without owning a qualified previous version of Microsoft Windows. The upgrade loophole can be reproduced using the following steps:

1. Insert and boot to the Microsoft Windows Vista Operating System DVD or CDs.
2. Install Microsoft Windows Vista with a blank key.
3. After installation, Run the Microsoft Windows Vista Operating System Install in "Upgrade Mode" while Microsoft Windows Vista is currently running.
4. Now, you can use your upgrade key.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
I'm staying with Windows 7, and will also be buying a legit copy of it when it get's released (Even though I have an MSDN account, I prefer a boxed copy).

It's been perfect for me since the beginning, and for my system which is only a Pentium 4 2.8GHz with 2GB ram, it runs quite better then Vista and is quite a bit more responsive then Vista was (I'm not dissing Vista, I love Vista, but 7 suits me quite better), and since I have a Pen and a TouchScreen overlay on my main LCD Monitor, the built in touch and Pen suite is just brilliant!

That said, I'm staying with 7 right through its grace period until Windows 8 starts to be in Alpha Status, and will probably stay with 7 and install 8 on another drive.

I still have XP, Vista, and Ubuntu on dual boot, but haven't touched them for quite a bit of time now.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Anyone feel like skipping on Windows 7?        Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:33 pm 
FTP Access

Um, you... BUY Windows? There are people who buy Windows? I'm amazed. ;)

Top  Profile