BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 8h, 58m | CPU: 4% | MEM: 5428MB of 11686MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: How to bypass w7 7100rc minimum requirements ?        Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
On Vista rtm sp1 sp2 one could type in setup.exe /nosyscheck and it installs on machines with only 256MB. ( and yes if you believe it or not it really installs and boots and is usable to some degree, a vlited Business Edition was running ok on a P3@866 Mhz with that amount of Ram - with aero basic interface)

That does not work on Windows 7 anymore which I find weired, because the setup is the same process as was in vista..

Setup.exe on Vista starts, copies temporary files and then gives a msgbox that 512MB are needed..

Don't ask for the real benefit of doing such things, i am interested in IF it is possible at all.
The main OS on that old machines is WinFLP which is real fast, but I like to play with the new toy 7 too. ^^

Before the Nosyscheck switch on Vista was discovered, people patched the winsetup.dll or used vlite which has such an option to remove the requirements.

Anybody tried that with Win7 ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: How to bypass w7 7100rc minimum requirements ?        Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:12 pm 
FTP Access

You could do this in theory using vLite (which requires the Windows Automated Installation Kit iirc), if you *only* change the RAM requirement then use the "Rebuild All" option to make yourself a new ISO. I'm fairly sure I did this with builds up to 7022.

However, vLite doesn't tend to do very well when running on Windows 7, so you would have run it from Vista or XP. It tends to crash when rebuilding the ISO under 7, but it'll be fine so long as vLite itself is run on XP or Vista.
Hell I'm bored enough that I'll try it right now...

EDIT: Yup, works just fine for me that way.

Top  Profile