BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 2h, 34m | CPU: 10% | MEM: 5627MB of 10799MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Install Vista without a DVD drive        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I have a laptop, It's oldish but does have the grunt to run vista but doesnt have a cd drive is the anyway I can install it through network or USB. MS do release CD Vista multi cd releases according to there site how hard would finding a ISO be.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Vista without a DVD drive        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:15 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
If the laptop can boot from USB then create a bootable usb stick or memory card and install vista from it.

I actually created a guide on how to do this a few weeks ago if you want to check it out, it’s saved me a lot of time installing various Windows 7 beta builds. Its the perfect way to install an OS on a netbook that hasn’t got a DVD drive :D

Guide: http://digiex.net/guides-tutorials/1319 ... -card.html

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Vista without a DVD drive        Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:39 pm 
Will it be an upgrade or clean install? If an upgrade you could transfer a Vista ISO via flash drive and mount/extract and upgrade from there. As far as finding the ISO not sure were you could look I have the Vista RTM on 4 CD's but not sure if that would help you as you have no CD rom on the notebook. If you have another pc you can create an ISO of the Vista disk and copy it via USB stick and mount
and upgrade from there. Hope it works out for you..

PostPost subject: Re: Install Vista without a DVD drive        Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:54 pm 
Donator

If you wanted to do a clean install you could do a bit of a tweak and the above method. All that you would have to do is shrink the XP partition open the installer in XP (off the hard drive even) and install to the new partition using Custom instead of the Upgrade option. Then in Vista format the XP partition and make the Vista partition full size.

Otherwise you could use the method above :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Install Vista without a DVD drive        Posted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:43 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
The upgrade one sounds really easy, I'll give it a try :)

Top  Profile