BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 23h, 9m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5642MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:52 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
I prefer Longhorn builds with the Plex theme, 3718 for example.

But its a matter of taste, some people prefer the eye-candy stuff, some people prefer
faster and more stable builds and some other people like buggy builds.

To be honest, I really don't get it why asking such a question, I mean its like
asking "Which is the nicest car?". There is no answer for questions like this, of course,
we could tell you "Build XY has nice features" and "build YZ is unstable, dont use it"
or whatever, but this wouldn't really answer your question; just try and get your own
opinion and find out which build you like most ;)

I don't want to grump, but this is already the third topic in five days with a question like yours......

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:44 pm 
Donator

Daniel wrote:

But its a matter of taste, some people prefer the eye-candy stuff, some people prefer

asking "Which is the nicest car?". There is no answer for questions like this, of course,
we could tell you "Build XY has nice features" and "build YZ is unstable, dont use it"
or whatever, but this wouldn't really answer your question; just try and get your own

I don't want to grump, but this is already the third topic in five days with a question like yours......

Agreed, we cant know what build you (or anyone) would like the most. Besides half the fun is just testing them all out and seeing what you like :).

And we have had a lot of these topics lately...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
zamadatix wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Agreed, we cant know what build you (or anyone) would like the most. Besides half the fun is just testing them all out and seeing what you like :).

And we have had a lot of these topics lately...

The problem with testing them all out is it takes too much time downloading (the not-so-fun part), and also Im low on HD space.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:56 am 
Donator

You posted:
motherboardlove wrote:
Country: (United States and Japan (have houses in both, will specify the highest speeds)
Provider: Forgot
Max Download Speed: Theretical: 100 MBPS Actual: 70 MB/s
Max Upload Speed: Theretical: 30 MBPS Actual: 20 Mb/s
Cost Per Month: HUGE amount i think $500 for one house
Download/Upload Limits (if any): None

in the http://betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=142&start=175 thread so I can hardly image it takes too long for you to download... ;).

Also take a look at the photo gallery and see what you like the look of and then search around a bit (whether it be on BetaArchive or other places) and see what features you would like to try out most, there are some good ones :).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:04 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
This the types of questions that should be asked:
1. What is the most stable Longhorn\Vista build?
2. Which build do you think have the best eye candy?
3. Which build is has the least compatibility issue with softwares\hardware?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:53 am 
FTP Access

I'm not that great with Longhorn, so everyone feel free to correct me.

a) If you want compatibility, then you should run either build 3683, 3706, or 3718. These builds are heavily WinXP based and therefore should be stable. (I'd suggest 3718 because of the DCE effects).

b) If you want to run late Longhorn builds with the Jade\Slate theme, then I'd suggest build 4051, 4053 or 4074. These were official releases from Microsoft, so they should be somewhat stable.

bi) Build 4051 was distributed at PDC 2003, and is stable (from what I've seen), but has a memory leak.
bii) Build 4053 is very similar to build 4051, but has the memory leak fixed.
biii) Build 4074 was distributed at WinHEC 2004, and (again, from what I've seen) is stable at times. It has glass effects, but they are buggy.

(Build 3718 screens can be found here http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/screenshots/index.php?load=Longhorn%203718/)
(Build 4074 screens can be found here http://www.betaarchive.co.uk/screenshots/index.php?load=Longhorn%204074/)

If I were you I would ditch running Longhorn on a real computer, and either grab Windows XP, or Windows 7 RC1.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:21 am 
Donator

I really like 3718, switching between 4 desktops is the greatest feature ever, also makes it easier to cheat on some exams that we can do on our own notebooks :P.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:53 pm 
Donator

This is one of those types of questions that pops up a lot where a little independant thought goes a long way...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
J.Byrne wrote:
This is one of those types of questions that pops up a lot where a little independant thought goes a long way...

I seem more like a lost cost because the topic author dropped out.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:53 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
zamadatix wrote:
You posted:
motherboardlove wrote:
Country: (United States and Japan (have houses in both, will specify the highest speeds)
Provider: Forgot
Max Download Speed: Theretical: 100 MBPS Actual: 70 MB/s
Max Upload Speed: Theretical: 30 MBPS Actual: 20 Mb/s
Cost Per Month: HUGE amount i think $500 for one house
Download/Upload Limits (if any): None

in the http://betaarchive.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=142&start=175 thread so I can hardly image it takes too long for you to download... ;).

Also take a look at the photo gallery and see what you like the look of and then search around a bit (whether it be on BetaArchive or other places) and see what features you would like to try out most, there are some good ones :).

Remember that the server's upload speed also is in the equation :wink:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4028,4042 ; Windows 7
Day2Die wrote:
This the types of questions that should be asked:
1. What is the most stable Longhorn\Vista build?
2. Which build do you think have the best eye candy?
3. Which build is has the least compatibility issue with softwares\hardware?

1. 3683,3706 and 3718 because they are similar to windows XP, Build 4028 - Server build and very stable. I am using this build now on my pc. 4029 - less stable but also good. 4051 - PDC build. 4053 - Stable enought to use it, when I used this build, it was OK for me. 4074 - WinHEC 2004 build - stable only with some packs like Longhorn 08 or Sigma OS.

2. I like the M5 plex theme and I also like slate theme. I like plex in the build 4028 and slate in the build 4053.

3. Builds 3683,3706 and 3718 have the same hardware compatibility as Windows XP SP1, but you can add drivers to the i386 installation. Longhorn build 4074 has drivers like Windows XP SP2, I have no problems to install it on any coputer where I want, only drivers to some devices are problem. 4028 - I have no idea why this build don't boot on my laptop Asus N10JC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
4044/7700/7950/8888
I like the blue start button on the build 4029, but this build is not stable :( but my favorite stay the 4074 !

Last edited by canouna on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
canouna wrote:
I like the blue start button on the build 4074, but this build is not stable :( but my favorite stay the 4074 !

4074 has slate and Aero, not the blue theme, which is plex? :/

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:35 am 
I have tried the 4xxx branch only... 4039 and 4074. 4074 is nice to play with if you got the time and the patience for it's hang ups. :mrgreen: Aero is really nice and the Windows Explorer is so beauty.

I'd go for what the guys above have said though. The 3xxx builds seem very stable.

PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:58 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
modern NT and Unix
If you are interested in Longhorns capabilities other than just the theme :

4051 and 4053 have working winfs* out of the box . But beware you need a lot of Ram for it to run smooth.

WinFS itself can eat up to 300 MB of Ram, Explorer more than 100. So 512 to 1024 is really needed. Although the 40xx branch of Longhorn will install even on machines with 128MB of Ram and the 5xxx up to Vista Beta1 and 2 will allow 256.

4053 is smoother and bugfixed, memoryleak is not so dramatic.

You can use the Longhorn SDK 4050 in conjunction with Visual Studio 2005 (M2 whidbey )
to develop Longhorn apps,sidebartiles,WinFS utils, on both 405x builds.

( LH 405x, the SDK and the needed VS is all on the BA server )

*Contacts,OutlookExpress7,Documents,Music,Pictures and realtime search filter in Explorer is all realized through WinFS, a SQL server database which stores all the info on Longhorn.
Windows Explorer and Outlook Express are not only a filebrowser and a Mailclient but a UI for SQL.. that's why all the Longhorn specific UIs eats Ram like hell.

Nevertheless it is a very interesting feature, and in 405x you can see it really works. Just put all of your preferred data in the "Defaultstore" titled networkfolder, make some new persons in the Contacts folder.. let it index all the stuff and try using Longhorn on a day to day base..

That's (plus Aero which is nonpresent in 405x) what "Longhorn" was meant to be.

When MS decided to scrap WinFS, the base technologie behind the UI was gone.

Todays MS DesktopSearch engine 3.x,4.0 in Vista/7/XP is the "replacement" for WinFS..

DesktopSearch with indexing appeared first in Build 5048 and WinFS was last seen in 4074 ( broken ).

Most Guides recommend turning WinFS off, but what's left is just a Explorer-skin that contains items which will be non-functioning. Therefore my advice : not turn off, explore it.

Longhorn is not a Windows theme, it was meant to be a technology. :wink:

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Mac OS X
What are the instabilities with 4074? Are there certain programs that make it puke?

I was gonna try it ages ago but had the issue of the BIOS date. Pity, I liked the grey colour scheme it had.

3718 looks good too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
So, what are your favorite themes, and their respective build numbers? Im doing this to make a compilation of them :P

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:32 am 
Donator

There are really only a handful of choices theme wise...

4039: Plex is awesome in this build, most complete version of Plex.
4074: Slate and Jade, Slate finished, looks great, Jade reasonably finished, usable.
5048: Has a kinda XP-ish theme, would look reasonably nice if finished.
5112 & 5219: Have a neat, clean theme with nice bright colours in the right places, reasonably finished, non-aero theme is much better than the final Vista Basic theme.

All of the above are quite nice, worth checking out if you've got nothing better to do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:02 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
I prefer 4051 and 3718. those two are really awesome.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:45 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn 4028,4042 ; Windows 7
WildEye001 wrote:
I prefer 4051 and 3718. those two are really awesome.

Is anythink better in build 4051 than build 4053 ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:13 pm 
Donator

I prefer builds 6002, 3718 and 4074 for specific reasons.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
MacOS 9.2.2
I havent used 4053. I've only used:

:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:47 pm 
Donator

My absolute favourite Longhorn build is 3718, because it's stable and looks great, 4074 is also very nice

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Whats the nicest Longhorn/Vista build?        Posted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:33 pm 
Donator

Again, I'm sure you mean 4066 Server Enterprise.

Top  Profile