BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 51d, 23h, 19m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5721MB of 10706MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:12 am 
FTP Access

This is the big announcement that Paul Thurrott was alluding to a while back now, and all I can say is wow...I did not see this one coming at ALL...Microsoft has really outdone themselves on this one :)

Head over to WithinWindows for all the juicy details:
http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/04/24 ... windows-7/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:25 am 
Pure WIN.

Reminds me of VMware Unity.

PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:38 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
I don't get it, why is this needed? Did anybody really ask for the ability to install apps in a sluggish XP emulated environment, especially if the apps you install on there are the same apps you can install on the native, host OS? Doesn't this cater to a very, very few group of people, who have the ability to install VMWare or VirtualPC themselves? I seriously don't get it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:40 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
Derf wrote:
I don't get it, why is this needed? Did anybody really ask for the ability to install apps in a sluggish XP emulated environment, especially if the apps you install on there are the same apps you can install on the native, host OS? Doesn't this cater to a very, very few group of people, who have the ability to install VMWare or VirtualPC themselves? I seriously don't get it.

It caters to thousands, if not millions of businesses that use old, proprietary software that does not support Vista or Windows 7. This is a pretty major feature to include.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, the files do not exist on the build 7100 dvd's. I'm guessing that this will be like an Ultimate Extra download for all Professional/Ultimate users.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:12 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
Almost pointless unless you can go Windows 7 x64 to Xp 32 (hope it can do DOS 16 :P ). I am not sure what program's don't work on Vista... Maple, COMSOL, OFFICE, JMP... I can't actually name one that doesn't...

From what I have seen the biggest issue with setting up a Vista systems isn't the program compatibility but that there is no measurable advantage- especially on old hardware.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:38 am 
FTP Access

As said above, it's proprietary software that businesses use that may not work with Vista. Many businesses (like banks) use proprietary software that many not work with Vista. Instead of spending the money to update the program, they can just use Windows 7. Many of us may not have a use for this though, but it is hardly useless.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:54 am 
Donator

Has anyone seen screenshots? It looks like Virtual PC with a slightly modified interface... it even says Virtual PC in the title bar. Is it free? Is there some advantage to using this software instead of just using Windows XP inside Virtual PC other than possibly the cost or a different EULA?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:00 am 
FTP Access

Quote:
XP Mode consists of the Virtual PC-based virtual environment and a fully licensed copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). It will be made available, for free, to users of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions via a download from the Microsoft web site. (That is, it will not be included in the box with Windows 7, but is considered an out-of-band update, like Windows Live Essentials.) XPM works much like today’s Virtual PC products, but with one important exception: As with the enterprise-based MED-V (Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization) product, XPM does not require you to run the virtual environment as a separate Windows desktop. Instead, as you install applications inside the virtual XP environment, they are published to the host (Windows 7) OS as well. (With shortcuts placed in the Start Menu.) That way, users can run Windows XP-based applications (like IE 6) alongside Windows 7 applications under a single desktop.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
If I think what I think it is (recently visited an Technet Intrack session about Hyper-V and this one among them).

It is just MED-V running, the med-v process just runs the virtual pc process and it runs an XP Virtual Machine inside the VM and projecting it onto the desktop (well integrating more).
This is like the VMWare Unity, it does the same job.

So you are actually running virtual pc, and if you have vmware also installed and want to boot an VM in there, it maybe crashes just VPC or VPC and VMWare or crashes nothing (if you have luck).

For customers with the Software Assurance Pack this is already available.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:01 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Hmmm, no.

Just take a look at these screenshots, no MED-V far and wide ^^

But yes, XPM is very similar to MED-V:

Quote:
XP Mode consists of the Virtual PC-based virtual environment and a fully licensed copy of Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). It will be made available, for free, to users of Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions via a download from the Microsoft web site. (That is, it will not be included in the box with Windows 7, but is considered an out-of-band update, like Windows Live Essentials.) XPM works much like today's Virtual PC products, but with one important exception: As with the enterprise-based MED-V (Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization) product, XPM does not require you to run the virtual environment as a separate Windows desktop. Instead, as you install applications inside the virtual XP environment, they are published to the host (Windows 7) OS as well. (With shortcuts placed in the Start Menu.) That way, users can run Windows XP-based applications (like IE 6) alongside Windows 7 applications under a single desktop. [...]

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:57 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Quote:
Wow awesome job Microsoft. Now all those Windows XP viruses will still work!

Love that quote from the OP's link! Its true though, it does open a world of old viruses being able to run still. Even if the idea is sound for people wanting to run older applications, did MS really think of the other malicious side of things?

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:56 pm 
Donator

If it is a vm it is a lot easy to back up though (copy paste). I would be more worried about holes that will be found for Windows 7 on release than holes found in XP after 8 years (though they are still coming)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:25 pm 
FTP Access

I don't see what they'll be able to do to stop you using this on all editions of 7, it will presumably just be a VHD containing XP so you could probably download it and extract it to run in the regular version of Virtual PC. Also presumably you will be able to extract the Product Key from it and that key will presumably pass WGA (unless they give you a key that doesn't, like they do with that IE6 testing VM that you can download, although this is more for real use rather than just testing so it seems less likely), then again XP is well past its sell by date to MS so maybe they don't mind giving it away any more :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:47 pm 
FTP Access

Personally I'm very interested in just how adaptable this might be. Imagine if, for example, it was simply a matter of replacing the XP VM with one for 98SE or 2000. There would be a huge back catalogue of software that no longer runs opened up by this.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:31 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Andy wrote:
Quote:

it does open a world of old viruses being able to run still. Even if the idea is sound for people wanting to run older applications, did MS really think of the other malicious side of things?

Well hopefully people are not going to be browsing the web in a VM, if anything I would hope its next to impossible as all people should be doing is installing an application then leaving the VM alone.

I personally wouldn’t say it’s much of a problem unless a person runs a file in the vm that can exploit a vulnerability in say an older version of office.

Andy wrote:
Quote:

Love that quote from the OP's link! Its true though, it does open a world of old viruses being able to run still. Even if the idea is sound for people wanting to run older applications, did MS really think of the other malicious side of things?

Indeed your thinking what I’m thinking :) even if its not possible im sure people will have fun hacking it.

Has this leaked?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:34 pm 
Donator

Besides the ablilty to run older versions of a program along side newer versions, I don't really see the point to all this...

Last edited by J.Byrne on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:38 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
J.Byrne wrote:
Besides the ablilty to run older versions of a program along side newer versions, I don't really see the point to all this...

Maybe thats because that is the point? It allows you to run software that doesn't run under Win7...

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:55 pm 
Donator

If they are trying to cater to buisness trying to use older sofware, why not emulate older OS's that buisness are known to still use. How many programs are there that work in XP, but not Vista? Few if any, I'd guess there are far more that run In the DOS versions of Windows, or NT4, but not XP or Vista...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:57 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
I hope Microsoft puts a big warning sign (or box when installing this) with some text saying that is not meant for playing games.
Even if they use this version it still uses emulated hardware.
Otherwise they are gonna have another disaster with the public like everybody saying that Vista is bad (wich it is not).

I also hope that VPC is updated with this ''new'' program.

I have also heared something about it that this is also already available for the RC when the RC comes out in 9 days.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:58 pm 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
I have also heared something about it that this is also already available for the RC when the RC comes out in 9 days.

?

I am sure they wont make a mistake like that again though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:40 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
[Flash back to Windows Me]...
Rolls on the floor

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
Heh

Is this feature in the RC build? I can't find it (then again it's near 1am in the momrning)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:14 am 
Donator

It is a separate download which has not been made public (officially at least idk about leaked). I imagine it will come with the official date for the new build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
That is actually quite cool. Integrated to the OS, and everything.

I'm definitely going to try and get that :P .

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Secret No More: Revealing Windows XP Mode for Windows 7        Posted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:15 pm 
FTP Access

You can get the x86 or x64 VPC app HERE. Once installed and on running The Virtual XP VM it will prompt you to download the vhd, which of course appears to not be working. Run vpcwizard from the start menu search and set up a Vm then install XP if you have it.

Top  Profile