BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 22d, 10h, 34m | CPU: 54% | MEM: 5509MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 7 Firewall and Related UI is Much Better        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:27 pm 
Donator

I did a search and had to look through tons of stuff and didn't see anything posted anywhere about the firewall in Windows 7 SO here are some screenshots for those of you who aren't running it.

This is a HUGE improvement.

Offtopic Comment
Yes, DWM is off. It makes my desktop computer run like crap.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Firewall and Related UI is Much Better        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:59 pm 
FTP Access

Entirely agree with you. The firewall is much easier to handle generally, but my own favourite tweak to networking is the ability to quickly connect or disconnect from any available networks via the network center icon. Overall these tweaks serve as a reminder of just how awful the networking control in Vista/2K8 could feel and what an improvement 7 has made in important areas like that. I hate going back to either now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Firewall and Related UI is Much Better        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:04 am 
FTP Access

How does it fair performance wise? It's all very well and good having a functional and easy to operate UI, but if the underpinnings don't really ammount to much then its a moot point as most people would opt for a 3rd party firewall that actually worked. I was never a fan of Windows firewall, especialy in XP, and though Vista was better in respect to configuration, it was still rubbish at performing the task it was designed to do. I fear the problem we have here is that if Microsoft made their firewall too good, it would only comeback to bite them in the ass legaly. What we have then is a firewall that's "less than perfect" for the sake of not upsetting 3rd party vendors, and unfortunately a "less than perfect" firewall is practically useless, something proven time and time again when compared against other firewall solutions. A bit like a condom with a hole in it. :P

(Anti-leak control has always been a Windows firewall weak spot, one that is all to easily exploited and one that Microsoft never really seemed too concerned about. You could help with that by spending half a day setting and testing rules, but what average user is going to want to spend time configuring something that other solutions provide out of the box with minimal user interaction?)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Firewall and Related UI is Much Better        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:19 am 
FTP Access

I wouldn't be surprised the the EU will have MS remove the firewall for putting companies like Zone Alarm out of business... 8-)

But really, I just use the firewall in my router.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Firewall and Related UI is Much Better        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:17 am 
Staff

Favourite OS
Real Life
Offtopic Comment
OG wrote:
A bit like a condom with a hole in it. :P

ya mean like this?

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Firewall and Related UI is Much Better        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:05 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
I hate to disappoint the OP, but the advanced firewall configuration is also in Vista so this is nothing new.

I looks the same and does the same, and the configuration is the same as on Vista.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 Firewall and Related UI is Much Better        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:43 am 
Donator

Crap.

I've never loaded the firewall configuration in Vista through the mmc before now.

Top  Profile