BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 21d, 23h, 49m | CPU: 38% | MEM: 6114MB of 12227MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:57 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
Windows XP is starting to age, So I wanna put 7 on my spare partition, What build should I use? I want one that is fast and stable, or should I just wait for RC. I haven't used 7 since Beta 1 so I'm very behind (Beta one worked badly)

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.2Ghz
Intel DQ965GF Executive Series Motherboard
4GB DDR2 800 SDRAM
Twin Seagate SATA 250GB HDDs
Palit NVIDIA 9600GT (512Mb VRAM)

Another kinda offtopic question is that would Hackintosh release would be suitable for that machine, I have Kallaway's Leopard

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:25 am 
FTP Access

If you want windows 7 i would wait for the RC now as it will be released soon, otherwise if you want it now i would use 7077.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Hang in there, RC is comming on May 5.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:34 am 
Donator

5th of May shall be the day my spare partition gets used too.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:34 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
Try iATKOS, I always find that release to be the most stable and full featured. It's also booted up on machines that Kalyway refused to boot up on, for me.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:25 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Still waiting for osx86 10.5.7 since it will have Nahalem support for the Core i7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:38 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
May 5th I'm really excited :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:51 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn Concept
It's offtopic to talk about Hackintosh operating systems in the Microsoft Operating Systems section, however.

If you want something that's fast and stable, scrap Hackintosh. I garuntee you it will crash. I have a Retail version of Mac OS X Leopard on my other hard drive, and it works fine. But it was a big hassle to get working, so I don't advise it.

For Windows 7, your computer specs seem fine for it (Windows 7 runs great on my friend's Pentium processor at 2.0GHz), and I suggest if you want the most stable and fast, get the official RC coming May 5.

Alexander

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:32 am 
FTP Access

There are stable versions of osx86 such as the iATKOS mentioned as well as iDeneb or iPC. By stable I mean it is very hardware specific and not all versions will work on all hardware configurations, but if you're lucky it will run fine. I ran iPC 10.5.6 (Voodoo kernel) for quite a while with no major issues to speak of, and I have an AMD system, but it is far from optimized and the keyboard setup got tedious. Give one a try, at least then you can say did and if it's not for you then there's always the RC to look forward to.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:13 pm 
Donator

OG wrote:
iATKOS

I (third?) trying this out it works great :P. (for me anyways)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:27 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
haiku
IMO go install the ideneb 10.5.6 disc. It's great Came with a hell of a lot of fixes and drivers. Although i must admit my usb didn't work and was not resolved. Kalyway 10.5.5 did not have this issue (i also recommend this and since you already have it, well, too easy:)). After using linux for years and windows in my recording studio i am quite happy with mac's products.

Good Luck!!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Debian Linux
I am so Stoked that the RC is coming in a few weeks. I'm so Excited I can't wait any more. :beta: :D

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:26 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 8
If you want a hackintosh, I recommend iATKOS 5i (availiable in all good retail torrent stores). Works fairly well on my Acer. You can also update to the latest version of OS X with iATKOS as well. (You may need to backup your kexts first incase some don't work)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:07 pm 
Donator

I am still downloading iATKOS 5i but it does not need a key right?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:15 pm 
FTP Access

Shoudn't do.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:20 pm 
FTP Access

I still recommend using the retail Apple Leopard DVD if you have a modern PC, that way you get an installation that you know is 100% Apple, no nasty hacks etc, and you quite safely update it from Software Update.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:42 am 
Donator

You mean the boot123 method?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:50 am 
FTP Access

Yes, I've recently reinstalled Leopard using it and it's much better than the old hacked DVDs :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:51 am 
Donator

But I am guessing you need to go out and pay money ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:53 am 
FTP Access

Vista Ultimate R2 wrote:
I still recommend using the retail Apple Leopard DVD if you have a modern PC, that way you get an installation that you know is 100% Apple, no nasty hacks etc, and you quite safely update it from Software Update.

I thought the whole point of a hackintosh was that retail versions of osx do not work on non apple hardware/systems, hence the hacks to circumvent the apple hardware id crap as well as enabling use on hardware that apple never designed osx to be used with. The hacks being necessary for the basic functioning of the OS. I would have thought that if it were as easy as just installing osx from a retail disc, thats what everyone would be doing rather than resorting to a custom spun version?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:59 am 
FTP Access

That used to be how it was, you could never use retail DVDs for a long time, but the new Boot-132 method of installation allows the use of retail discs, you then just install a special bootloader which includes a folder for placing the extra drivers and the decrypter in, so they are kept separate from the OS X installation itself, so /System contains only 100% Apple files and nothing else :) There's no real need to use the hacked discs any more, though some people still seem to like them, I guess if they happen to contain the drivers for your hardware then it makes installation easier but in my experience you always had to install as many extra bits afterwards anyway, plus you had to undo all the hacks like missing utilities, changed branding images, etc.

zamadatix wrote:
But I am guessing you need to go out and pay money ;)

Well you could download a copy of the retail DVD for Macs if you're that way inclined, but I ended up buying a real copy, it was only about £30 from eBay and I like owning the real box, plus it's even more satisfying to see a real Apple disc working on a PC :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:55 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Debian GNU/Linux 7.0
I saw a video just a minute ago of someone doing that on one of those Dell Mini laptops, Leopard on a SSD is epic win

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:18 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn Concept
Easier than Boot132, Install Kalyway 10.5.2 (Quick and stable) and then install a retail Leopard from within (Make sure the hard disk is GUID partition table).

Alexander

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Switching to Windows 7 (or prehaps Hackintosh)        Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:02 pm 
Donator

In what ways is that better than using boot123 to install a retail disk?

Top  Profile