BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 71d, 15h, 19m | CPU: 7% | MEM: 6417MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Upgrading to the RC?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:15 am 
FTP Access

Hey all!
Yet, afaik we don't know which build will the RC be, I would like to know what do you think about this:

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4121

:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upgrading to the RC?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn
yeah i read this twice lastnight, rather disappointing that they are "recommending" clean installs, i was actually looking forward to only having to upgrade my current desktops Vista install....i use my main machine for mostly everything including producing music, and having to reinstall plugins and tuns of other vst instruments dont really seem that cool with me, amongst other programs and such..

i think i will try the workaround first..see what happens..

peas
cityboy

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upgrading to the RC?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:29 am 
FTP Access

dj_cityboy wrote:
yeah i read this twice lastnight, rather disappointing that they are "recommending" clean installs, i was actually looking forward to only having to upgrade my current desktops Vista install....i use my main machine for mostly everything including producing music, and having to reinstall plugins and tuns of other vst instruments dont really seem that cool with me, amongst other programs and such..

i think i will try the workaround first..see what happens..

peas
cityboy

I will do that too, I have many programs whose large amount of settings would make it a pain on the neck to reset. Anyways, after having my backup, if the workaround fails I'll still make a Clean Install, so no problem...
:)
I've got nothing to lose, yet, I do would love the upgrade option...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upgrading to the RC?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:17 am 
Donator

Its a reasonable request though, will cut down on people reporting bugs that only occur when upgrading from the beta build to the RC build.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upgrading to the RC?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:58 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I always do a clean install just because an upgrade take too long to install and too much get broken. And I am talking about RTM to RTM.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Upgrading to the RC?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:01 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
It is supported.
There is only 1 thing that can happen (but not so severe if you do not use scheduled tasks).

Readme on the DVD wrote:
Known issues

This section lists the issues that you should know about before you install Windows 7.

Windows Task Scheduler tasks might not function when upgrading

This issue applies if you are upgrading from Windows Vista and you use Windows Task Scheduler.
If you made any changes to the Windows Vista default tasks (tasks that come preinstalled with Windows Vista), they will be overwritten by the default task configuration for Windows 7.
To update a task in Windows 7, click the Start button, and then click Control Panel. In the search box, type Administrative Tools, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Task Scheduler. Select a task, right-click Properties, make any necessary changes, and then click OK.

EDIT:
I have upgraded my 7068 to 7077 and the only 2 things that the upgrade said would fail were Virtual PC and VMWare.
So I have removed them, did the upgrade (only took 1 hour) and installed it after the upgrade again.
Even my anti-virus works perfect and all other programs.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Upgrading to the RC?        Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:39 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Longhorn Concept
Sure, a clean install would be recommended, but I'm not doing it. If I can upgrade from 7068 to 7077, what's the major fuss about upgrading to the official Release Candidate build? All bugs should have been addressed by the RC stage anyway.

Alexander

Top  Profile