BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 1h, 33m | CPU: 37% | MEM: 5954MB of 12257MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 7/Creative X-Fi, recurring bug.. anyone else?        Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 pm 
FTP Access

Just wanted to know if anyone else was encountering this rather annoying problem when using a Creative X-Fi card with the currently known Windows 7 builds (it was also present in the R2 beta).
For reference mine is the X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS, and the problem occurs with enabling either the EAX or Crystalizer settings from the audio console.

In build 7000 after a random period of time, you would start to hear static noises from the speakers, with audio not actually playing but no error reports or visible signs of problems - the only solution being to go into the device manager and disable/re-enable the card which again only worked for a random period of time. It was inevitable and happened without fail.

Disabling the EAX and (far worse) Crystalizer would solve this entirely, but obviously the loss of at least the audio crystalizer was fairly major. This problem was also present in build 7022, exactly the same.

In build 7048 this seemed to have been fixed, and in the two or three weeks I ran 7048 I never had a single problem with audio at all.

I do not know whether it was present in 7057 as I never downloaded that build. In build 7068 however... the bug appears to be well and truly back.

So, any other X-Fi owners here been experiencing this?

(Yes, it's a prerelease and so on and so on... I'm just curious if anyone else was noticing this one!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7/Creative X-Fi, recurring bug.. anyone else?        Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:21 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Remember, higher build doesn't mean all the bug fixes from previous builds are included. Some builds are released to fix a specific issue.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7/Creative X-Fi, recurring bug.. anyone else?        Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:18 pm 
FTP Access

Blame Creative, they stopped making decent drivers 3 years ago when they decided Vista would be a good excuse to reduce the functionality of their entire range by cripple their drivers and thought it would create an upgrade path only to find they pissed off their entire customer base. The latest beta drivers from their site have been the best drivers since 2006, the volume levels are back to where they were in XP, but that's still too little too late. If the Audigy/XFi range ever work properly in Windows7 I'd be very surprised becuase they never did in Vista.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7/Creative X-Fi, recurring bug.. anyone else?        Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I go on the internet a lot. Lot of people on different forum seem to have the same issue.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7/Creative X-Fi, recurring bug.. anyone else?        Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Vista Beta 1 (6.0.5112)
STKD wrote:
Just wanted to know if anyone else was encountering this rather annoying problem when using a Creative X-Fi card with the currently known Windows 7 builds (it was also present in the R2 beta).
For reference mine is the X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS, and the problem occurs with enabling either the EAX or Crystalizer settings from the audio console.

In build 7000 after a random period of time, you would start to hear static noises from the speakers, with audio not actually playing but no error reports or visible signs of problems - the only solution being to go into the device manager and disable/re-enable the card which again only worked for a random period of time. It was inevitable and happened without fail.

Disabling the EAX and (far worse) Crystalizer would solve this entirely, but obviously the loss of at least the audio crystalizer was fairly major. This problem was also present in build 7022, exactly the same.

In build 7048 this seemed to have been fixed, and in the two or three weeks I ran 7048 I never had a single problem with audio at all.

I do not know whether it was present in 7057 as I never downloaded that build. In build 7068 however... the bug appears to be well and truly back.

So, any other X-Fi owners here been experiencing this?

(Yes, it's a prerelease and so on and so on... I'm just curious if anyone else was noticing this one!)

I've been having this problem in Beta 1, but not when enabling any enhanced features. I think it affects alot of different Creative sound cards, mine is an Audigy 2 SB0400.

Top  Profile