BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 12d, 0h, 25m | CPU: 6% | MEM: 6633MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: My Windows Vista computer... it freezes were it can        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:41 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
The last time, I have some troubles with my Windows Vista computer. The computer itself is quite good: 2 GB of RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 512 mb graphical card. But since a few day, my computer freezes at everything it can. By the most simple tasks. For e.g. changing the font in word (word freezes), opening a tab in IE7 (IE freezes) and so on. Sometimes it takes a lot of time to get it working again. It is really annoying. And the most stupid fact of all is: the Cores (are to the knowlidge of my processor and RAM meter) are just working at 27% (can go higher, but it's about this if it freezes), and the RAM is all the time at 60%-70%.

Does anybody have the same? Is there a way to fix this?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Windows Vista computer... it freezes were it can        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Download process explorer and see what is up.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Windows Vista computer... it freezes were it can        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:46 pm 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
check your cpu temp in the bios. at idle it should be around 30-45*c. download speedfan for windows, the temps should never exceed 65*c on a healthy system. also download and run memtest from a check your ram isnt damaged. those are the first things to check.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Windows Vista computer... it freezes were it can        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:54 pm 
Donator

27% on a dual core system? Either you have a virus or you have a lot o crap running that does not need to be.

Either way I reinstall if this stuff starts happening.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Windows Vista computer... it freezes were it can        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 pm 
Donator

Virus almost never cause freezes like this

Most people point to hardware issues... ram, cpu... but more often then not, it's the power supply.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: My Windows Vista computer... it freezes were it can        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:10 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Andy wrote:
check your cpu temp in the bios. at idle it should be around 30-45*c. download speedfan for windows, the temps should never exceed 65*c on a healthy system. also download and run memtest from a check your ram isnt damaged. those are the first things to check.

Don't trust any programs inside Windows that monitor temperature, they are always give more then it is or less then it is.
The BIOS is is the correct one.

Let it sitting there for an 1/2 or 1 hour and then it should be around that temp. that andy said.
If its above it, try to clean the fan and cooling block and check the air flow through the computer.
Otherwise get you're self another cooler, not an boxed one (the one that came with the PC).

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Windows Vista computer... it freezes were it can        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:28 am 
Administrator

Favourite OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64
DjRob wrote:
Andy wrote:

Don't trust any programs inside Windows that monitor temperature, they are always give more then it is or less then it is.
The BIOS is is the correct one.

Let it sitting there for an 1/2 or 1 hour and then it should be around that temp. that andy said.
If its above it, try to clean the fan and cooling block and check the air flow through the computer.
Otherwise get you're self another cooler, not an boxed one (the one that came with the PC).

speedfan never guesses, the programmer codes it for each board individually, and is the only one i DO trust in windows. unfortunatey you cant access hardware monitor in the bios with a heavily loaded system to check loaded temps so a windows app would have to do anyway, id just prefer to trust speedfan ;)

even 5-10 minutes idling will bring the temp down to what it would be, not 1/2 - 1 hour, not sure where you're getting this from.

BetaArchive Discord: https://discord.gg/epK3r6A

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: My Windows Vista computer... it freezes were it can        Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
About the 1/2 - 1 hour, I was think about Longhorn at the time :oops: , idling for that time to complete the search index.

I usually use the speedfan program not for monitoring, but for bringing the speed of the fan down (hench speedfan) to 60%, otherwise the computer where I work at sometimes is blowing at 4000rpm (at least it says that when it runs at 100%).
Then it much more silent.

@zeehonden_3:
Usually there are programs on the support CD from the motherboard that also has these kind of programs, try to run them and see if the temp is correct.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW