BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 28d, 7h, 30m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 5641MB of 10881MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Will 7 have an appearance change?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:41 am 
FTP Access

Hey!
I just want to know if you think seven will be subject of a skin change towards it's final release.
:)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:22 am 
FTP Access

Doesn't look as if there will be. Guess we'll have to anticipate Windows 8, rather than 7; Windows 8 may be a major release.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:27 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
7 is a minor release of Windows, but its fate will be quite similar to the fate of XP. I don't think it will have an appearance change though, we'll have to wait for Windows 8 for that. But really, Windows 8 sounds lame, I think they need to change 8 into something else.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:52 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I am pretty sure it not because it has been feature complete since beta 1.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
Thlump wrote:
7 is a minor release of Windows, but its fate will be quite similar to the fate of XP. I don't think it will have an appearance change though, we'll have to wait for Windows 8 for that. But really, Windows 8 sounds lame, I think they need to change 8 into something else.

why windows 8 lame but 7 isnt?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
No. Why would they change the interface they have hyped so much?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:15 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
hougtimo wrote:

They explained that they meant change the skin.

What kind of a new skin could MS do now, anyway?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
marktuson wrote:
hougtimo wrote:

They explained that they meant change the skin.

What kind of a new skin could MS do now, anyway?

To be honest, my primary complaint with Vista and Windows 7's UI are the squatty buttons. They just feel squished. Then again, I primarily use OS X, which has small sphere's as buttons for windows.

The changes that Microsoft can make are limited, as people are familiar with the style that they've been using since Chicago. I really doubt anything drastically different in Windows 8 (or whatever is next). Windows 7 has gotten a tweaked default color pallet, veering away from green and blue, and moving entirely into the blue pallet that Windows XP seemed to have. The next step would probably be a redesign of the common user interface, which would still include their design elements that they've painstakingly used over and over again since Chicago. [icon] _ |-|X

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:02 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.1 / 6.1
jimmsta wrote:
The next step would probably be a redesign of the common user interface, which would still include their design elements that they've painstakingly used over and over again since Chicago. [icon] _ |-|X

It would be ridiculously hard to escape this concept, and i don't think windows 8 will get away from it either. Not that they need to. Although, it is kinda going away a little in favour of more owner-drawn stuff i guess, lots of dialogs in vista don't have the whole [icon - program name] thing at all;

A lot of friends of mine who are novice vista users were completely surprised when i double-clicked the top-left corner of a window to close it. The minimise / close buttons on the right are pretty intuitive and ubiquitous, you'd be hard-pressed to name a gui system that didn't have them. (I'm sure there are plenty.)

I don't think anyone expects many skin tweaks for Windows 7.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:19 am 
FTP Access

I really liked the layout of Windows 3.1 for simplicity reasons. The Up and Down arrows on the right side, with the menu on the left and the name CENTERED in the middle was always my favorite layout. I dispised the whole icon in the window thing back then because most applications were still 16 bit and didn't have icons sized for 16x16 when minimized. [I'm not sure if you know what I mean]. True, this changed overtime, but I never liked how the name of the window was aligned to the left side instead of in the middle like in the older versions.

And a total redesign of the OS wouldn't be impossible. Look at what Apple did to the Mac OS GUI a decade ago. They pretty much changed a lot of the GUI, built the entire OS on a new infrastructure, and changed everything. The first few years were pretty hectic, but nowadays, everything is just simple and standard. If Apple can do it, by all means, Microsoft has SOME innovation to reinvent the operating system, especially with more and more touch-enabled devices and tablets. :)

Since January 2005, I've been in the Operating Systems Prototype Community. I've enjoyed learning more these past four years about the development of the Windows and Macintosh operating systems, as well as learning of new user-based projects that optimize system performance.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Will 7 have an appearence change?        Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:38 am 
FTP Access

THIS would have been nice, alas.

Top  Profile