BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 16d, 1h, 6m | CPU: 22% | MEM: 5452MB of 11719MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Why doesn't antivirus integrate into UAC?        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:30 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I always though that User Account Control (UAC) is worthless and I always turn it off. Why doesn't Microsoft make it more it more useful by allowing antivirus to integrate in it. Here is a concept rendering:

OK, it is not the best looking concept image but it gets my idea across.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why doesn't antivirus integrate into UAC?        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:06 am 
FTP Access

Because it's the difference between there being an (intentional) opening in the UAC system and there not being one. Think about it this way: if you were building a bunker to protect something that you knew you'd never need access to again and you had the choice between having a way (no matter how small) for people to get in or having no way at all, which would you choose?

Yes, I am aware of the fact that UAC is far from impenetrable and that windows is hardly a bunker in terms of security, but my analogy still stands :P

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why doesn't antivirus integrate into UAC?        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:24 am 
FTP Access

Pointless? Any AV worth its salt would quarantine malware either before it could be run or upon execution and in most cases with no more than an unobtrusive notification to the user and usually with some sort of link or description to/about the malware should the user require more info (MS cant even their own "more info" links relevent to the subject at hand never mind virus database descriptions). Why overcomplicate the process by actually requiring intervention by the user? If you have decent antivirus and a firewall with competent anti-leak then UAC is completely redundant. On the same point, it should not be such a simple process to run such potentialy damaging malware by simply clicking a button marked "run anyway". Its a pretty daft suggestion in my opinion.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why doesn't antivirus integrate into UAC?        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:34 am 
FTP Access

I support OG's post 100%.
But, on a lighter note, if MS incorporated a much more complete ant virus program into their OS, they would probably (again) be threatened by the European government, over monopoly issues! They are heading that way with the improved "PAINT" program, DVD burning and a few other improved, built in, facilities.
lol
Disloyal European.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Why doesn't antivirus integrate into UAC?        Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:33 am 
Donator

I don't think that will stop Microsoft from developing a proper antivirus product (and releasing it late 2009).

Top  Profile