BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 6h, 3m | CPU: 26% | MEM: 6625MB of 11381MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:17 pm 
do you think 6.2 or 7.0?

PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:47 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
7.0, because It has been confirmed that Microsoft is working on Windows 8.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:24 am 
FTP Access

Thlump wrote:
7.0, because It has been confirmed that Microsoft is working on Windows 8.

So what? A few years ago (when Vista was in development), MS announced that the next release of Windows, successor of Vista, would be Windows 7. And as we can see Windows 7 is version 6.1 of Windows NT. So Windows 8 might be 6.2, or 6.5 or whatever... Of course it also may be 7.0 (and probably will, but you can't know) :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:29 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Except Microsoft have decided to do alternating minor-major releases.

Like NT 5.0 to NT 5.1 to NT 6.0 to NT 6.1 to NT 7.0

(NT 5.2 removed for simplicity - it's a special case)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:20 am 
FTP Access

I thought an 8.0 was more likely with the rebuild of the OS from the kernel up. Perhaps something like Singularity will "become" 8.0, being the base for the future Windows versions (Windows 8 or 9 surely?) as it apparently is.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:59 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Singularity is not related to Windows, and no it will not supersede Windows, because that requires new kernel and new kernel destroys backwards compatibility for older applications.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:31 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
If Windows were to gain a new Kernel, it'd not follow the version number sequence either, since the version numbers are for the NT Kernel. I have a feeling when MS do move away from NT, they'll probably drop the Windows name as well.

MS moving to a new kernel is not too far-fetched, but I can't see it even starting to happen within the next 5 or so years.

And Singularity is not suitable for use in an OS like Windows. Backwards compatibility isn't too much of an issue, Microsoft will no doubt provide backwards compatibility in a similar way that early OS Xs provided backwards compatibility for older Mac OS applications.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:43 pm 
FTP Access

I had heard that Singularity is what the commercial version of Midori was going to be based on which is where my logic was going on that one... but yes, of course it wouldn't be an 8.0 not being from the NT kernel line. That's why I should avoid posting well after midnight I guess. ;)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:56 pm 
Donator

Midori and Singularity are both research projects, which means that ATM neither of them have any commercial plans behind them.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:03 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
I think that Microsoft isn't going to make a new Kernel, or it would be one of the last ones, because microsoft have now presented Azure, and I think the want to move more and more on to a computer that works mostly on internet (the programs on internet, the filestorage on internet etc.). I only think that people than have to choose a much faster internet connection (and therefore the prices have to be lower, otherways people won't upgrade to a higher speed).

I think the netbooks are going to be a step more in the direction to internet based computers, as the are light, small, handy and good for doing work everywhere, and send it directly to your manager/boss/company.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
zeehonden_3 wrote:
I think that Microsoft isn't going to make a new Kernel, or it would be one of the last ones, because microsoft have now presented Azure, and I think the want to move more and more on to a computer that works mostly on internet (the programs on internet, the filestorage on internet etc.). I only think that people than have to choose a much faster internet connection (and therefore the prices have to be lower, otherways people won't upgrade to a higher speed).

I think the netbooks are going to be a step more in the direction to internet based computers, as the are light, small, handy and good for doing work everywhere, and send it directly to your manager/boss/company.

Even if Microsoft move more and more towards 'the cloud', they still have to have some form of software on the PC, like a basic OS. An Azure-like system is not going to be the way forward in personal computing in my opinion. It's handy to have a degree of cloud features, but I certainly would not want MS running my entire setup, or relying on the internet for everything.

Internet Connections are getting faster and faster, yes, but the average size of content we use is also increasing. My 8MBit/s connection is not adequate for what I'd like to do, despite just a few years ago, being much more than I thought I needed. I don't believe that having most of our content served over the internet is going to be suitable any time soon.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
NT 5.1 / 6.1
STKD wrote:
yes, of course it wouldn't be an 8.0 not being from the NT kernel line.

:D didn't microsoft start the NT line at like, 3 or something, in order to keep the numbering in line with their previous kernel...? so feel free to post after midnight as much as you like ;)

I don't think windows is really evolving in the right direction any more, anyways, so perhaps a break in kernel would be nice; they can have a managed kernel, and a manged userland, and i'll keep my glorious NT 5 until the apocalypse

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: what comes after windows nt 6.1?        Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
mappy: The NT kernel came out of OS/2, so it probably was at the third actual version when it was released as WindowsNT 3.1.

Thus:
1. OS/2 1.x
2. NT OS/2 2.x [unreleased]
3. WindowsNT 3.x

Top  Profile