BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 17h, 34m | CPU: 16% | MEM: 5591MB of 10687MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
 PostPost subject: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:48 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Posts
90

Location
San Francisco, CA, USA
Hi folks!

First, I want to say that I don't have 7057 on my computer... I'm an old fashioned guy still playin' with 7048 ^^
But I found that trick on "Labo Microsoft", the Microsoft Laboratory of my school. So here we go:

The bug appears to be impulsed by the fact that "desktop.ini" is visible in some directory.
For example, take a look at this directory:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
As you can see, the "desktop.ini" file is there... Just delete it!

Now, go to there:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
The file is there too... Delete it.

Enjoy!

Oh yes... As many of you noticed, the expiration date is set to 2010/03/01, one year from now. According to the guy from my school:
Quote:
Cela tend à prouver que Microsoft ne souhaite pas publier Windows 7 cette année.

This tends to prove that Microsoft does not want to release Windows 7 this year.
We will see...

Windows 7 build 7057 (in french)

[EDIT]
Ok... I just went to Chris123NT Website and I found exactly the same trick... Did the guy from my school take the trick from Chris123NT's blog? I don't know...
Sorry if yes!
Anyway, the screenshots from his article aren't the ones from Chris123NT blog... They are different.

_________________
Image


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:55 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Posts
753
Thank you for the tip remi.serriere

I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:14 pm 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Posts
90

Location
San Francisco, CA, USA
You're welcome!

It's funny... I missed that kind of things... Trying to fix Windows bugs by changing registry keys, resources, files...
Seriously! That's why i like alphas/betas! It's because if you don't try to solve your problems by yourself (or with the help of your favorite forum ^^), you have nothing working the way it should be :P

_________________
Image


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:50 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat May 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Posts
5271

Location
The Collection Book

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Well, you can delete desktop.ini also in other builds, including Server 2008, Vista, Server 2003, XP.

But also in windows 7 if you visit the folder again with thumbnails enabled, it recreates the desktop.ini file.

_________________
Image
http://www.thecollectionbook.info
Subscribe to our Image for updates and like us on Image.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:20 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:17 am

Posts
920

Favourite OS
6.0.5219
remi.serriere wrote:
Hi folks!

First, I want to say that I don't have 7057 on my computer... I'm an old fashioned guy still playin' with 7048 ^^
But I found that trick on "Labo Microsoft", the Microsoft Laboratory of my school. So here we go:

The bug appears to be impulsed by the fact that "desktop.ini" is visible in some directory.
For example, take a look at this directory:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
As you can see, the "desktop.ini" file is there... Just delete it!

Now, go to there:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
The file is there too... Delete it.

Enjoy!

Oh yes... As many of you noticed, the expiration date is set to 2010/03/01, one year from now. According to the guy from my school:
Quote:
Cela tend à prouver que Microsoft ne souhaite pas publier Windows 7 cette année.

This tends to prove that Microsoft does not want to release Windows 7 this year.
We will see...

Windows 7 build 7057 (in french)

[EDIT]
Ok... I just went to Chris123NT Website and I found exactly the same trick... Did the guy from my school take the trick from Chris123NT's blog? I don't know...
Sorry if yes!
Anyway, the screenshots from his article aren't the ones from Chris123NT blog... They are different.


I think the guy from your school is a moron. Microsoft always pushes the evaluation date way back. Vista's RC dates were in 2007 and it released in 2006. The RC was still active when the final was already released.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:22 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:07 am

Posts
1252

Location
Los Angeles, California

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
remi.serriere wrote:
Hi folks!

First, I want to say that I don't have 7057 on my computer... I'm an old fashioned guy still playin' with 7048 ^^
But I found that trick on "Labo Microsoft", the Microsoft Laboratory of my school. So here we go:

The bug appears to be impulsed by the fact that "desktop.ini" is visible in some directory.
For example, take a look at this directory:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
As you can see, the "desktop.ini" file is there... Just delete it!

Now, go to there:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
The file is there too... Delete it.

Enjoy!

Oh yes... As many of you noticed, the expiration date is set to 2010/03/01, one year from now. According to the guy from my school:
Quote:
Cela tend à prouver que Microsoft ne souhaite pas publier Windows 7 cette année.

This tends to prove that Microsoft does not want to release Windows 7 this year.
We will see...

Windows 7 build 7057 (in french)

[EDIT]
Ok... I just went to Chris123NT Website and I found exactly the same trick... Did the guy from my school take the trick from Chris123NT's blog? I don't know...
Sorry if yes!
Anyway, the screenshots from his article aren't the ones from Chris123NT blog... They are different.


Well vista RC expired long after vista already reach RTM.

_________________
Never leave home without PeerBlock, or you might not return at all.


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:49 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:18 pm

Posts
753
viper wrote:
Thank you for the tip remi.serriere

I'll give it a try when I get home tonight.



It Worked for me, just had to drill down a but to get to the Startup folders, all that was in them was the desktop.ini


Thanks again for the tip remi.serriere


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:53 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
Offline

Joined
Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:14 pm

Posts
6612

Location
United Kingdom

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Day2Die wrote:
Well vista RC expired long after vista already reach RTM.


Indeed, If I remember correctly it expired May 2007, 5 months after Public Release, and 7 after RTM.
If you were to use the same sort of gap, then 7 would RTM in September and Release in November.

_________________
BuildFeed - the ultimate collaborative NT build list - Windows Longhorn - a look at a defining Microsoft project


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:34 pm 
Reply with quote
Setting the attributes to system files may help hide them if they are crytical

CD to the folder where desktop.ini is located and:

Code:
attrib +h +s desktop.ini


Top
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:30 am 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:21 am

Posts
2068

Location
Australia

Favourite OS
Neptune/Whistler2419/Linux Mint
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
As you can see, the "desktop.ini" file is there... Just delete it!

Now, go to there:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
The file is there too... Delete it.

#would it possible to do this via a batch file? if so whats the commands? thx

_________________
Never Fear,Captain Sweatpants is Here!
*http://osbetaworld.b1.jcink.com/*


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:17 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:03 am

Posts
1115

Location
Germany
don't delete it, set the attribute of the file
Code:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini
to hidden and system like JurgenDoe said :wink:

_________________
"Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine theory and practice: Nothing works and they don't know why."


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:18 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat May 12, 2007 1:05 pm

Posts
5271

Location
The Collection Book

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
betaluva wrote:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
As you can see, the "desktop.ini" file is there... Just delete it!

Now, go to there:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
The file is there too... Delete it.

#would it possible to do this via a batch file? if so whats the commands? thx


Code:
@echo off
C:
cd c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup
del desktop.ini
cd c:\users\%USERNAME%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup
del desktop.ini


Leave the %USERNAME% in it, it will take the current username, so if you're Administrator it will take Administrator, if you are USER it wil take USER.

Also I am not sure if it works permantly, sometimes if you visit the folder Windows will recreate the file.

_________________
Image
http://www.thecollectionbook.info
Subscribe to our Image for updates and like us on Image.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:19 am 
Reply with quote
Luckie wrote:
don't delete it, set the attribute of the file
Code:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini
to hidden and system like JurgenDoe said :wink:


Glad you like my trick :)


Top
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:51 pm

Posts
54

Favourite OS
Windows 7
JurgenDoe wrote:
Luckie wrote:
don't delete it, set the attribute of the file
Code:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini
to hidden and system like JurgenDoe said :wink:


Glad you like my trick :)

Nice trick, much better than deleting the file

I hid all my desktop.ini using this, including the ones in the public folder


Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:27 am 
Reply with quote
ricktendo64 wrote:
JurgenDoe wrote:
Luckie wrote:
don't delete it, set the attribute of the file
Code:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini
to hidden and system like JurgenDoe said :wink:


Glad you like my trick :)

Nice trick, much better than deleting the file

I hid all my desktop.ini using this, including the ones in the public folder


Thanks for the respond and glad you like it too :)


Top
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:07 am 
Reply with quote
FTP Access
Offline

Joined
Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:44 pm

Posts
90

Location
San Francisco, CA, USA
JurgenDoe, you're right...
Hiding the file is smarter than deleting it...

The script would be
Code:
@echo off
attrib +h +s c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup\desktop.ini
attrib +h +s c:\users\%USERNAME%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup\desktop.ini


Using "C:" and "CD" commands is useless as the script uses absolute pathes.

Ah... MS-DOS commands... What good times spent with my MS-DOS book on my old 286... I was 9 years old... 11 years ago! Time goes so fast ^^

_________________
Image


Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:00 am 
Reply with quote
remi.serriere wrote:
JurgenDoe, you're right...
Hiding the file is smarter than deleting it...

The script would be
Code:
@echo off
attrib +h +s c:\programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup\desktop.ini
attrib +h +s c:\users\%USERNAME%\appdata\roaming\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs\startup\desktop.ini


Using "C:" and "CD" commands is useless as the script uses absolute pathes.

Ah... MS-DOS commands... What good times spent with my MS-DOS book on my old 286... I was 9 years old... 11 years ago! Time goes so fast ^^


Right click on a empty space in the folder while holding SHIFT and you will see an option to "Open command window here" and its like using CD to navigate to the folder


Top
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Seven build 7057 - Notepad bug - Solution        Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:01 pm 
Reply with quote
Donator
User avatar
Offline

Joined
Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:31 am

Posts
924

Favourite OS
5.50.5111/6.0.3706/6.0.4028
You can set only "Hidden" attribute directly from file properties in Windows Explorer. What's enought

_________________
:(


Top  Profile  WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tjd2 and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

All views expressed in these forums are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of the BetaArchive site owner.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Copyright © 2006-2018

 

Sitemap | XML | RSS