BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 26d, 1h, 33m | CPU: 30% | MEM: 5613MB of 11060MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Question about how Windows 7 calculates space vs "used disk"        Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:32 am 
FTP Access

I've been playing with vLite on build 7022 and am finding the results when it comes to space used rather confusing. Here is what I mean:
Removed the 400+MB of printer drivers using dism. They are completely gone from the file depository within Windows, yet the iso I made without them installs with drive properties listing used space as 2.81GB - exactly the same as the iso I made *before* I removed them. So I have one vpc with 2.81GB "used" and 400+MB of printer drivers present in the running install, and another vpc without the 400+MB still listing 2.81GB "used". :? Why would this be..? Both have the exact same settings (a 100MB page file, no recycle bin space, no system restore space etc), so why isn't the second install around 2.4GB rather than 2.8?

Even more confusingly and not directly related - and the part I really don't understand:
The drive properties when right-clicked shows 2.81GB as "used space" as I say. BUT... checking the entire contents of the "Windows" folder (minus winsxs which for some even more bizarre reason takes it up to 3.66GB...) - shows it to be using 1.56GB. Combining this total with all the files and directories outside of the main windows folder (266MB approx) seems to show that the install is actually 1.8GB or so... so where is this extra GB of "used space" coming from?

I cannot figure out how on earth these figures are being worked out. The entire drive contents seem to be 1.8GB (actual "size on disk"), yet the used space in drive properties is 2.81GB.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about how Windows 7 calculates space vs "used disk"        Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:33 am 
FTP Access

Just a wild guess, but how long did the installation take? A little longer than usual? Where you connected to the internet during the installation? If so, it could be the result of Windows Update active throughout the installation, downloading its initial files to consolidate a complete package.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about how Windows 7 calculates space vs "used disk"        Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:08 pm 
FTP Access

Nope. Both VPC's were disconnected during install, I did in fact leave updating turned off. This was before I even got around to installing the VPC drivers that I took the results. Doesn't really make much sense. :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about how Windows 7 calculates space vs "used disk"        Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:14 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Because when the setup is started (all files are copyed to the disk, nothing is removed from the install).
Even if you tick the only select this version on VLite, it will remove the other folders and just keep that one.

Just for fun, extract the contents of the INSTALL.WIM and after extraction it is 50GB!.
It contains all version in seperate folders.

After installation the WinSxS folder is much bigger then during the install because many files are placed in that folder during install.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about how Windows 7 calculates space vs "used disk"        Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:33 pm 
FTP Access

I was under the impression (from microsoft) that there was, in all reality, very little space taken up by the winsxs folder and that its size is misreported by Windows due to the way it hard links to files that exist elsewhere on the drive. In otherwords winsxs might be reported as being 10gb, but there may actually only be 1gb of files taking up space in the directory. This of course means that it appears you have lost 9gb when you have not, because that extra 9gb is from files somewhere else and they are actually being calculated twice or more. :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about how Windows 7 calculates space vs "used disk"        Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:51 pm 
FTP Access

You are right about winsxs being hardlinks to files, but in this case either winsxs is causing some very strange misreporting even when I don't include it in my rough "space actual files are using" analysis, or something else is.

I could understand if these apparent discrepancies were being caused by the install.wim file since I know it copies across the exact contents, but there are some fairly bizarre quirks that seem to occur. I guess these are in some way down to winsxs, but still don't seem to make sense.

If for instance I have two *utterly identical* installed copies both measuring 2.8GB, and I delete the printer driver files themselves (~400MB) in filedepository from one of them, logic dictates that surely that copy should drop to 2.4GB or so. So I don't get how, on an installed system, that doesn't happen since the wim is out of the picture at that point.

The other quirk was in deleting DVD Maker and the Games from within running installs. Drive space used actually *increased* by around 200MB approx rather than dropping. I have no recycle bin or anything on these installs, the files are very much gone. If I'm saving more space by actually having more files on the drive... well that definitely qualifies as a strange quirk, right?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about how Windows 7 calculates space vs "used disk"        Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:26 pm 
FTP Access

Try using an app like OO's DiskStat, its seems to me to be far better at representing the contents of a drive than Windows. It might help track down where the difference is, or lack thereof.

Top  Profile