BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 12d, 0h, 8m | CPU: 20% | MEM: 6667MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 7 components - Very flexible.        Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:08 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Server 2003
I have a fresh install of 7022 that I have been playing with in depth this morning.

it seems the OS is fairly well componentized...which makes configuring it very easy. I know most people will probably shove a standard install on and leave it, but for someone like me, it works very well indeed.

On a fresh install of Windows 7 (once first boot had completed it was running 27 processes & using less than 30% of my ram (1gb) - much better than vista) I found it very easy to "turn off" all the features I don't need on a workstation.

I turned off; Games, IIS, Media centre, DVD maker, Windows fax and scan, Tablet PC, Gadgets and XPS viewer....none of which I need. It was nice to see that after a reboot these had gone from the start menu & left me with just the features I need. No errors or anything. very impressive.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 components - Very flexible.        Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
I suppose turning features off would be the next step in my 7022 install also :)

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 components - Very flexible.        Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:19 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Actually turning off features removes them from the list of available shortcuts and some services are stopped.

But doesn't remove any files from you're system, all functions are installed but are just disabled.

(This post is just only for information purpos).

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 components - Very flexible.        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:24 am 
FTP Access

The feature is also in Windows Vista. Although, Windows 7 does have more stuff you can disable. :D

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 components - Very flexible.        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:54 am 
Donator

(Having a mental Blank) Can't remember if Vista/7 has an SYSOC.INF file, but if it does you could add more things to the Add/Remove Windows Components menu by opening up in notepad and removing the word "Hide".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 components - Very flexible.        Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:29 am 
FTP Access

The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Favourite OS
Rhapsody, BeOS
In vista that control is more hidden (aka I don't know where it is!) - AND no, vista doesn't have that file.

Somebody should try to find where they now hide these settings.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 7 components - Very flexible.        Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:02 am 
FTP Access

One small tool, which is useful , is lost by turning off the tablet service. But it can be reenabled standalone, by making a shortcut to the .exe. Its in System32.
"But doesn't remove any files from you're system, all functions are installed but are just disabled."
I believe that may be what the OP is trying to achieve, to cut down on resource useage.

Top  Profile