BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 24d, 18h, 5m | CPU: 29% | MEM: 5746MB of 10897MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:29 pm 
Hi:

I was wondering If anyone could answer me a question:

Even though I've allready installed it and I'm running it ok, now, the website from where I've got my Windows 7 Beta Build 7000 says it will only be usefull until August 9, 2009.

What does this mean? What will happen then? Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:03 pm 
FTP Access

The date you are referring to is known as a time bomb. The time bomb will render the build useless after a certain date, regardless of the activation status. There are ways to get around the time bomb with cracks and the like, but i'm not sure why you would want to being that this is ONLY a beta, and with the RC expected in April you will have a new build well before the beta expires.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:06 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Every Windows Alpha/Beta/RC has an timelimit.

After that you can't use that operating system again, even after reinstall.
In Windows 7, you can use it longer then that date but you will get nag screen about that the windows is not genuine.

In earlier version of windows you can remove the timelimit, but they are out of date with updates and so on.

Also you shouldn't run an Alpha/Beta/RC as your main operating system, they can BSOD easaly even if it running stable.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:44 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
Setting your bios date back and turning off the internet time service will also help

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:04 pm 
Donator

I find it better to look on the internet (after it expires) on how to remove the nagging message or just use a crack which I am sure there will be plenty when the time arrives if there are not all ready.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:30 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Actually beta 1 expire on August 1, 2009. When it expire you will get a black desktop background with a nag just like with an unactivated copy of Windows Vista Service Pack 1. If, for what ever reason you still have beta 1 installed and August 1 is approaching, apply TimerNuke 1.0.5.0 will keep your computer running. Do not apply it too early because once you apply TimerNuke 1.0.5.0 you won't be able to use automatic update.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:54 pm 
Hi thaks for all the replies but I've got a few questions:

1) What is BSOD?

2) What is an RC coming in april.

And thanks. Anyways I tested what would happen If advanced the time of the calendar and effectively all that happened is a windows is not genuine message box.

But I'll change it to something more stable come august or before that...

Thanks a lot.

PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:59 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
BSoD = Blue Screen of Death
RC = Release Candidate

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:02 pm 
Ok I understand.

It's been a while since I've seen a BSOD (I don't think I've gotten one while using XP).

If RC is a release candidate, when will the actual release of Windows Seven be?

Thanks

PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:26 pm 
FTP Access

aarelovich wrote:

Thanks

Nobody can really tell you now. It all depends.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:59 pm 
Ok, so the best thing to do is go from RC to RC until the W7 comes out?

What do you recommend?

PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:02 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Ummm, what?

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:08 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
What I recommend, just install Windows XP or Windows Vista and use it as your main desktop, save you time reinstalling all apps and so on.

Also that OS is getting updates and you can install anything on there and it's more stable.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:10 pm 
I would do that,

except I don't like how Windows Vista Handles and to tell you the truth I want to use the DirectX10....

That's why I went with this W7 Beta

PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:13 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Enable administrator and then log in and use it as you're normal account.
Then you can use it as you use windows XP.
Everything is runned as administrator.

And you can use DirectX 10.

But there is no difference now for games between DirectX9.0c and DirectX10

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:17 pm 
Maybe not for games.

But there are for other programs which I'm very interested in using....

Thanks for the advice

I'll see what to do later.

PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:38 pm 
Donator

aarelovich wrote:
I would do that,

except I don't like how Windows Vista Handles and to tell you the truth I want to use the DirectX10....

That's why I went with this W7 Beta

If you just want to use DirectX 10, Vista already have it. If you mean DirectX 11, there's no applications/games that I'm aware of that are using it as for now.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:55 pm 
Ok, esentially I want to use DX10 with out using Vista

It's not possible unless you use hacks I don't want to use....

So I gave it a shot with W7. For now it works fine. If it starts to annoy me too much for some reason then I'll just switch to vista and get it done with.

But for now, everything, including games, runs great...

PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:02 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
Even with hacks you can't run DirectX10 on XP.
There was an version available on torrent even was uploaded here, but it was one big virus.
It can't be run on XP or lower because of missing files in other folders and Microsoft doesn't release and standalone version anymore or 10 and higher.

Even 9.0c is from 2004.

Also just do what you like wich version you run (it is you're decision, we can only give you advice on what to run).

Last edited by Rob Jansen on Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:15 pm 
Donator

DjRob wrote:
Even with hacks you can't run DirectX10 on Vista.
There was an version available on torrent even was uploaded here, but it was one big virus.
It can't be run on XP or lower because of missing files in other folders and Microsoft doesn't release and standalone version anymore or 10 and higher.

Even 9.0c is from 2004.

Also just do what you like wich version you run (it is you're decision, we can only give you advice on what to run).

Probably you want to correct the highlighted statement. It should be XP, not Vista. Anyway, DirectX 10 uses Vista new memory management, and the WDDM, which is absent from XP so it's not usable in XP no matter how hard you hack it.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:46 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
FarCry3r wrote:
DjRob wrote:
Even with hacks you can't run DirectX10 on xp.

Probably you want to correct the highlighted statement. It should be XP, not Vista. Anyway, DirectX 10 uses Vista new memory management, and the WDDM, which is absent from XP so it's not usable in XP no matter how hard you hack it.

Fixed (a) (stupid typo mistake :oops:)

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:59 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2012 Dtc
aarelovich wrote:
Ok I understand.

It's been a while since I've seen a BSOD (I don't think I've gotten one while using XP).

Thanks

Notice its called release candidate. That means that if it has no bugs, and stable and has all the features, they relesed. Its RC0 first, then RC1 PC2, etc. They keep on going until it is a good release

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:56 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Actually the russians have really made a directx 10 for xp.

Here is an article about the old version: http://filenetworks.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -3-km.html

The newest version is DirectX 10 CF for Windows XP.

Yes, they really works. I have personally tried it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:46 am 
Where would you get this DirectX 10 CF?

PostPost subject: Re: Question about the August 7 Windows 7 Limit        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:45 pm 
Donator

Normally I would give a direct link but, http://www.google.com you need to get used to Googling things :P

Top  Profile