BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 58d, 21h, 46m | CPU: 18% | MEM: 6012MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:44 pm 
I was wondering if it was possible to install windows 7 on my old laptop with 256 mb of ram. When I try to install it I get an error message telling me I don't Have enough Ram.

PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:54 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
How much ram you do you really have? You mentioned you have 256MB even though the title says 512MB. Also, it's possible that you can install Windows 7 with that little RAM, but if you do you might have to stick with 6519 or 6801 not 7000 or 7022...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:53 pm 
Donator

thlump, That is nonsense, stick with 7000 and you will be fine.

Now if you have 512mb as in the title that iss what I have on my laptop and i would say it runs smoothly. but you may want to disable indexes and other things.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:54 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OS X 10.8
zamadatix wrote:
thlump, That is nonsense, stick with 7000 and you will be fine.

Now if you have 512mb as in the title that iss what I have on my laptop and i would say it runs smoothly. but you may want to disable indexes and other things.

Uhm. No, that is not nonsense. Please learn and educate yourself before stupidly claiming something that something is "nonsense". Windows 7 will NOT install on 256MB of RAM. It just won't.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:59 pm 
Donator

And even if you could get it running on 256 (I've read about it) you'd be better off dropping house bricks on your crotch.

Stick with what works on low spec machines, XP, FLP, 2000 and sometimes Linux.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:40 pm 
Donator

Derf wrote:
Uhm. No, that is not nonsense. Please learn and educate yourself before stupidly claiming something that something is "nonsense". Windows 7 will NOT install on 256MB of RAM. It just won't.

Title says 512 though (huh)? That and I was saying "how would 6956 install but not 7000?".

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:47 am 
FTP Access

Boot.wim is too big to fit into RAM if you have less than 512MB.

Good luck though

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:34 pm 
Donator

TheWahbinator wrote:
Boot.wim is too big to fit into RAM if you have less than 512MB.

Good luck though

boot.wim in Vista is big as 7 boot.wim, but with vLite, you can install it on 256mb system, so it's not about boot.wim.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:42 pm 
Donator

I don't get why you'd want to get Vista or 7 running on 256 RAM though, on a low spec machine the two are horribly bland and slow.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 pm 
Donator

jabster wrote:
I don't get why you'd want to get Vista or 7 running on 256 RAM though, on a low spec machine the two are horribly bland and slow.

Probably to see how low can Windows 7 can run on. But it's definitely will be slow on 256mb system though.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:03 pm 
Donator

I've run it on a 512MB stick of DDR and it was slow but usable, I guess you could run it on 256 if you really, really cut down on the apps, but it'd basically kill the functionality of the machine.

Really, 256MB, FLP, Xp or 2000.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:50 pm 
Donator

jabster wrote:
I've run it on a 512MB stick of DDR and it was slow but usable, I guess you could run it on 256 if you really, really cut down on the apps, but it'd basically kill the functionality of the machine.

You can run on 256mb without problem, IF you do remove .NET Framework. In my testing, removing .NET Framework from the installer source didn't have any bad effects on the system, unless you want to run .NET Framework based applications.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:20 am 
FTP Access

FarCry3r wrote:
jabster wrote:

You can run on 256mb without problem, IF you do remove .NET Framework. In my testing, removing .NET Framework from the installer source didn't have any bad effects on the system, unless you want to run .NET Framework based applications.

Although a lot of programs rely on that... so you'd potentially be cutting access to needed programs.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:32 am 
Donator

logicaL wrote:
FarCry3r wrote:
jabster wrote:

Although a lot of programs rely on that... so you'd potentially be cutting access to needed programs.

Most of my friend didn't even use any of those programs that uses .NET Framework, and he'd run the .NET-less Vista for about 6 months before finally upgrading his PC and getting full Vista experience. But hey, it's working.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:42 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
You can try vLite to get around the memory requirement, IDK

But one dude posted a list of what can be and cant be removed/modded in Windows 7 with vLite

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=& ... t&p=826657

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:44 pm 
Donator

ricktendo64 wrote:

But one dude posted a list of what can be and cant be removed/modded in Windows 7 with vLite

I'd rather wait for Nuhi to update his vLite to officially support Windows7. Probably it'll be called 7Lite or something like that.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
FarCry3r wrote:
ricktendo64 wrote:

I'd rather wait for Nuhi to update his vLite to officially support Windows7. Probably it'll be called 7Lite or something like that.

Then you will be waiting for a looooooooong time, nuhi is MIA...too busy with work/life for nLite and vLite

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:16 pm 
Donator

ricktendo64 wrote:
FarCry3r wrote:
ricktendo64 wrote:

Then you will be waiting for a looooooooong time, nuhi is MIA...too busy with work/life for nLite and vLite

If he's already too busy or probably lose interest, then he should made both nLite and vLite open-source, so someone with times to spend can improve it.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:19 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
I agree, but he can make them open source and it still wont be the same...only he has the experience to know how and what to remove stuff from Windows

It comes with years of experience with nLite modding the INF files...he knows windows in and out

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Installing Windows 7 On a system with only 512mb of ram        Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:50 pm 
Donator

ricktendo64 wrote:
I agree, but he can make them open source and it still wont be the same...only he has the experience to know how and what to remove stuff from Windows

It comes with years of experience with nLite modding the INF files...he knows windows in and out

But hey, someone out there probably also know about it, it just that they didn't have the medium to do it easily, and by making nLite/vLite open-source, we can actually learn something from it.

Top  Profile  WWW  YIM