BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 25d, 10h, 19m | CPU: 24% | MEM: 5568MB of 10613MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Windows 7 Starter

* Available worldwide to OEMs on new PCs
* Missing Aero UI tweaks
* Limited to 3 simultaneous applications

Windows 7 Home Basic (Vista equivalent: $200)

* Only available in emerging markets
* Missing Aero UI tweaks

Windows 7 Home Premium (Vista equivalent: $260)

* Available worldwide, to OEMs and in retail
* Includes Aero UI tweaks
* Features multi-touch capabilities
* Adds "premium" games
* Adds media capabilities (Media Center, DVD playback, DVD creation, etc.)
* Can create home network groups

Windows 7 Professional (Vista equivalent: $300)

* Available worldwide, to OEMs and in retail
* Includes all features of Premium
* Adds enhanced networking capabilities (Remote Desktop host, domain support, offline folders, etc.)
* Adds Mobility Center
* Adds Presentation Mode

Windows 7 Enterprise

* Available only in volume licenses
* Includes all features of Professional
* Adds Branch Cache
* Adds Direct Access
* Adds BitLocker

Windows 7 Ultimate (Vista equivalent: $320)

* Limited OEM and retail availability
* Includes all features of Enterprise

Remember that screenshot we saw of all those different Windows 7 versions (pictured above)? Well guess what? It's worse than you could have possibly imagined. The following will be the actual new SKUs for the OS:

* Windows 7 Starter (limited to three apps concurrently)
* Windows 7 Home Basic (for emerging markets)
* Windows 7 Home Premium (adds Aero, Touch, Media Center)
* Windows 7 Professional (Remote Desktop host, Mobility Center, Presentation mode)
* Windows 7 Enterprise (volume license only, boot from virtual drive, BitLocker)
* Windows 7 Ultimate (limited availability, includes everything)

This information has been confirmed by Microsoft... who never listens to us. At least most consumers will only see Home Premium and Professional options at retail, which is more akin to the XP options of yore, and means WMC will be "baseline" for most PCs.

Update: Just to be clear, we've checked specifically with Microsoft on all six versions, and the placement of Home Basic in emerging markets. There's now a full breakdown after the break.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/03/windows-7-skus-announced-yes-your-worst-nightmare-has-come-to/2

Sorry about the double post earlier.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:01 am 
Donator

Well nice find but why give us starter when its even worse then home basic over home basic. Starter shouldn't even exist in this case as it was for emerging markets.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:36 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
Starter exists because it's for new PCs, and netbooks.

Paul Thurott wrote:
Windows 7 Starter

Market: Worldwide availability this time but with new PCs only

This version will only be sold through PC makers to users, but unlike with Vista, it will be sold worldwide. This suggests that netbook makers will choose this version, even in the US. As with previous Windows Starter Edition products, it is limited in some ways: You can run only three applications at once, don't get Windows 7's full mobility capabilities, and can participate in but not create a Home Group. Also, there's no Aero Glass.

I do think MS should have listened to the community, because if netbooks are meant to be mobile, why do they not have full mobility capabilities?

Also, Enterprise and Ultimate are now the same, but Ultimate is Enterprise for consumers.

Paul Thurott wrote:
For those few customers who simply must have everything, Windows 7 Ultimate offers all of the features from Enterprise but loses the volume licensing requirement. So you can think of Ultimate edition as Enterprise for consumers (and other retail customers).

Last edited by Thlump on Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:33 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Thlump wrote:
Starter exists because it's for netbooks.

Could be for Netbooks, don't make 100% certified statements, they end up biting you in the butt later on.

I've used a Netbook at my local IT store that had Windows 7 Home Premium (we were comparing and testing) installed on it without the disabling of other services, and it ran literally A-OK with 512MB ram.

I'm not quite sure at this moment whether Starter will be a kind of "Default" for a Netbooks and other similar computers, it is just too cut down for it to be used efficiently, I can see it being loaded on Netbooks, but I don't see it as "Existing because it's for netbooks".

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:53 pm 

Alexsis wrote:
Thlump wrote:
Starter exists because it's for netbooks.

Could be for Netbooks, don't make 100% certified statements, they end up biting you in the butt later on.

I've used a Netbook at my local IT store that had Windows 7 Home Premium (we were comparing and testing) installed on it without the disabling of other services, and it ran literally A-OK with 512MB ram.

I'm not quite sure at this moment whether Starter will be a kind of "Default" for a Netbooks and other similar computers, it is just too cut down for it to be used efficiently, I can see it being loaded on Netbooks, but I don't see it as "Existing because it's for netbooks".

as of right now, there is no difference between home premium and ultimate, just a different name.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:34 pm 
FTP Access

IMO Vista editions are better. Why people who buy 7's Enterprise (or Professional) will need Media Center or Windows' games? In Vista Business and Enterprise there is nothing like this. Professional and Enterprise are just improved home versions with many features not needed in corporations.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:02 pm 
FTP Access

An operating system that limits how many concurrent applications you can run? What the hell are they thinking. All in all, more [censored] taking fodder for the Gates bashers.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft anno[quote="OG"]An operatiunces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:09 pm 
FTP Access

OG wrote:
An operating system that limits how many concurrent applications you can run? What the hell are they thinking. All in all, more [censored] taking fodder for the Gates bashers.

Why do you think it's wrong? After all, Vista is available in Starter edition and no one's complaining. And it'll be available only with new computers. I believe it's good move to release a version like that for people who buy the 1st PC and don't know how to use computers. Capabillities of such version are little, just according to such people's needs, and at least they won't corrupt the Windows. And when they know how to use computers, they can buy better edition. Of course people who are familliar with computer may buy new one with better edition, or without anyone.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft anno[quote="OG"]An operatiunces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:15 pm 
pkubaj wrote:
OG wrote:

Why do you think it's wrong? After all, Vista is available in Starter edition and no one's complaining. And it'll be available only with new computers. I believe it's good move to release a version like that for people who buy the 1st PC and don't know how to use computers. Capabillities of such version are little, just according to such people's needs, and at least they won't corrupt the Windows. And when they know how to use computers, they can buy better edition. Of course people who are familliar with computer may buy new one with better edition, or without anyone.

well, i just can agree, my dad for examples uses our pc for i think 2 years now, he still doesnt understand that you can have more than 2 window openend... :P
i guess most "normal" users wouldnt recognize it.

PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:58 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, meanwhile, won't be sold directly to consumers. Instead, Windows 7 Ultimate will be an upgrade offered only as an add-on, which also means that consumers will be forced to pay for Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional, and then pay again for the upgrade.

Hm, Microsoft is digging into your wallet.

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2340311,00.asp

Talking about netbooks, I think OEM manufacturer could convince Microsoft to ship Windows 7 Home Basic with netbooks.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:20 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
It should have been like this:

Starter (Most people won't even bother with this, and those who are limited to just this edition will likely pirate it anyways)
Home
Professional
Ultimate

Way too many product editions, as usual. It's even worse than Vista, in a way.

But at least the OS itself is good.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:08 am 
FTP Access

pkubaj wrote:
IMO Vista editions are better. Why people who buy 7's Enterprise (or Professional) will need Media Center or Windows' games? In Vista Business and Enterprise there is nothing like this. Professional and Enterprise are just improved home versions with many features not needed in corporations.

Honestly, I never understood why Vista Business is a 100 bucks more (retail price) than Vista Home Premium. Sure, it adds business functionality (better networking capabilities and administrative controls IIRC), but it also takes out the Media Center. I think MS is making a good move by charging more money for more features. Obviously, you can take out the games and you'll likely be able to take out the Media Center, just the games in Vista Business aren't installed by default, but can easily be added.

Personally, I like the setup, mainly because my school participates in MSDN AA, and they only offer Vista Business for free, which doesn't include WMC (which WMC is quite nice). I've got some 8-9 copies of Vista Business, and it kind of angers me that while they're "worth" more than Vista HP, I can't "downgrade" to Vista HP. Seriously, I have no use for domains or really anything else that Business offers over HP.

So now, with the new plan, Windows 7 Professional is likely going to be added to MSDN AA, and to my understanding will come with WMC (YAY!)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:51 pm 
FTP Access

Ambig wrote:
pkubaj wrote:

Honestly, I never understood why Vista Business is a 100 bucks more (retail price) than Vista Home Premium. Sure, it adds business functionality (better networking capabilities and administrative controls IIRC), but it also takes out the Media Center. I think MS is making a good move by charging more money for more features. Obviously, you can take out the games and you'll likely be able to take out the Media Center, just the games in Vista Business aren't installed by default, but can easily be added.

Personally, I like the setup, mainly because my school participates in MSDN AA, and they only offer Vista Business for free, which doesn't include WMC (which WMC is quite nice). I've got some 8-9 copies of Vista Business, and it kind of angers me that while they're "worth" more than Vista HP, I can't "downgrade" to Vista HP. Seriously, I have no use for domains or really anything else that Business offers over HP.

So now, with the new plan, Windows 7 Professional is likely going to be added to MSDN AA, and to my understanding will come with WMC (YAY!)

I think it's a mistake to add Business to MSDN AA and not Ultimate. After all, students need business options, but they don't only work. A little fun would be nice. But it's a mistake to add home's functionality to business editions.

Anyway, do you know anything about N editions? At the time being, it's not available anywhere and hasn't been, but officially you can buy it. So will MS release versions like those? Lastly I've even heard that EU is going to remove IE from Windows, or add new browsers :?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Microsoft announces Windows 7 editions        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:23 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Well it doesn't really matter, there are only going to be 3 mainstream editions of Windows 7 in the first place, the rest are for emerging markets.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=659
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29014150/

So in just about all circumstances (unless you live in the most remote part of Africa or are going to buy a system that can't handle more then 1 running program), their will only be: Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate (Enterprise, same thing different license).

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile