BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 13d, 1h, 59m | CPU: 51% | MEM: 6732MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:33 am 
Donator

Hi all!

I'm having a great time playing with longhorn, with one small issue. My laptops Realtek High Definition Audio driver doesn't work! I've tried multiple versions of XP and Vista drivers, and it just doesn't want to install.

Does any of you veterans have a working driver/advice/input? I know Longhorn is dead, but I still have great fun playing with it!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:18 am 
Donator

I once stumbled upon an old Realtek AC'97 driver from the Vista Beta 1 era that seemed to work when all else failed...

Tried installing in compatibility mode?
Tried installing via device manager using the inf file?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:39 am 
Donator

jabster wrote:
I once stumbled upon an old Realtek AC'97 driver from the Vista Beta 1 era that seemed to work when all else failed...

Tried installing in compatibility mode?
Tried installing via device manager using the inf file?

Yes and Yes. No go. I'm trying an AC97 release now though, thanks for that!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:34 am 
Donator

Ok, I tried a couple of different AC97 drivers, including one from 2004. Still no good. Has anybody else had experience with longhorn and the Realtek HDA?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:56 am 
Donator

Rightio, been brainstorming this a bit...
Is it that you can't get audio, or you can't get high def?

Most of the Realtek drivers I've used come packed in one of those RAR auto extraction things, when you tried installing via device manager did you extract all the files from this package?
I'm not really familiar with the HDA, but like I mentioned I have an AC'97, there seem to be two parts to it, the actual soundman configuration/equalizer app and the actual driver, rummaging through the INF files it seems easy enough to install the driver without soundman...

(All of the above could be useless crap, long hot day)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:00 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
I've got a real easy question that can sort out the problem in quick time... (I accept no liability if the problem doesn't solve itself in quick time mode, you cannot take legal action against me or my associates if this happens to be the case.)

What Brand and Model is the Laptop? Be good to know what chipset you have so we can offer you driver advice.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:18 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Realtek HD Audio doesn't work with Longhorn because it requires an update to be installed, that is unsurprisingly not compatible with Longhorn.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:40 pm 
FTP Access

Are you sure, Tom?

Did we not get it working on my PC with a driver from a PDC disc... I mean, I might be wrong... I can't remember very well

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:09 am 
Donator

Quote:
Rightio, been brainstorming this a bit...
Is it that you can't get audio, or you can't get high def?

Most of the Realtek drivers I've used come packed in one of those RAR auto extraction things, when you tried installing via device manager did you extract all the files from this package?
I'm not really familiar with the HDA, but like I mentioned I have an AC'97, there seem to be two parts to it, the actual soundman configuration/equalizer app and the actual driver, rummaging through the INF files it seems easy enough to install the driver without soundman...

I can't get audio, it appears as a "PCI Device" in Device Manager. I usually extract all the installer files using 7zip from either a downloaded zip package or the exe itself and try the manual inf install first. In both the HDA and the AC'97 packages, there is a driver folder for XP with about 10-15 different inf files. I've also used DriverGrabber on a previous XP install I had on this machine, which ripped a copy of the drivers for my system, and tried to use the extracted driver, but still no go.

Quote:
I've got a real easy question that can sort out the problem in quick time... (I accept no liability if the problem doesn't solve itself in quick time mode, you cannot take legal action against me or my associates if this happens to be the case.)

What Brand and Model is the Laptop? Be good to know what chipset you have so we can offer you driver advice.

I'm sorry! I should have mentioned before. I have an Acer Aspire One ZG5. I think it uses the Intel 82801G chipset. The chipset driver installs fine, as does everything else including video, card reader, WiFi and Lan.

Not sure if this helps, someone else suggested to me highlighting all the inf file, right clicking and selecting "install" but that didn't seem to do very much at all except work my HDD for about 2 minutes.

Thanks for all the assistance guys! I honestly have to say I wasn't expecting so much attention!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:11 am 
Donator

No luck guys?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:45 am 
Donator

I've had a breakthrough!

Apparently, Realtek HDA drivers require KB888111, the Microsoft UAA patch. Obviously, the XP patch won't install on longhorn. HOWEVER, if you extract the update files using 7zip, right click on the *.infs and select "Install", then select the offending device and install those inf files as drivers, it installs! It then creates a new device called "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus". This is where I get stuck, as the only Realtek drivers that even attempt to install are the Vista ones, and they error. I've gotten somewhere! But i'm not all the way there!

Does this help any of you veterans at all?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:24 pm 
Donator

What if you manually select the inf in device manager of the XP driver?
Does it give an error than?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Longhorn 3718, 4039 or 4053 Driver        Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:54 pm 
Donator

tristan wrote:
What if you manually select the inf in device manager of the XP driver?
Does it give an error than?

Yup ^_^ The Vista driver error, and the XP driver isn't even found. I've tried letting it search automatically, pointing to the folder and pointing to the inf file.

Top  Profile