BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 11d, 23h, 37m | CPU: 69% | MEM: 6821MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Desktop Gadget Gallery with UAC disable w/o replacing files        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:32 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
Earlier I post an article that replacing Desktop Gadget Gallery in Windows 7 build 7000 with the one from build 6801 works, but chris123nt found an easier solution:

As many of you undoubtedly know already, in Windows 7 Beta 1, disabling UAC also causes the gadgets to stop working. This can be very annoying, especially for the power users who turn off UAC, or for those who are turning it of in order to avoid that nasty token elevation bug that rears it’s ugly head out of random on some machines.

The reason for this is that Microsoft made the assumption that the sidebar process would never be run in an elevated state. So when you try to start it with UAC disabled it detects that it would have to run elevated, so it just does nothing to abide by the pre-set rules set by Microsoft. Thankfully there is an undocumented registry setting to correct this issue.

1. Open Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Settings
3. Create a new DWORD Value called AllowElevatedProcess
4. Set the value of the new DWORD to 1
5. Close the registry editor. Your gadgets should work now. No reboot or anything necessary.

So there you have it, an actual fix to the issue that doesn’t require swapping out the sidebar executable like some sites suggest *cough* mydigitallife *cough*.

Source: http://chris123nt.com/2009/01/19/fix-wi ... h-uac-off/

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Desktop Gadget Gallery with UAC disable w/o replacing files        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:15 pm 
FTP Access

Great find - big thanks to Chris for discovering the regkey. I am one who likes to disable UAC and this is going to be a great help :)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Desktop Gadget Gallery with UAC disable w/o replacing files        Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:15 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
alterbridge86 wrote:
Great find - big thanks to Chris for discovering the regkey. I am one who likes to disable UAC and this is going to be a great help :)

Same here, I can stand UAC, the first time vista and 7 startup, I disable UAC.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Desktop Gadget Gallery with UAC disable w/o replacing files        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:08 am 
Donator

thank you very much,l much better than trying to swap files or put up with the uac!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Desktop Gadget Gallery with UAC disable w/o replacing files        Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:28 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7
This has been a lifesaver.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Desktop Gadget Gallery with UAC disable w/o replacing files        Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:17 pm 
Donator

A bump but it has a prupose:

In windows 7 7042 x64 I see to be running into an error now, the folder is not there in the registry. If you add it under sidebar and then add the key nothing happens or if you add it in the only folder - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Sidebar\Compatibility .

Can anyone confirm/deny this? Or better yet have a fix (I will be trying a few things)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Desktop Gadget Gallery with UAC disable w/o replacing files        Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
There is need to fix that in build 7022 - the Desktop Gadgets are working fine with disabled UAC in that (and later) build(s).

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Desktop Gadget Gallery with UAC disable w/o replacing files        Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:36 pm 
Donator

Really? damn I must have screwed something up...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Desktop Gadget Gallery with UAC disable w/o replacing files        Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:48 pm 
Staff

Favourite OS
Windows 10
Probably. It works fine with disabled UAC here:

Top  Profile  WWW