BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Screenshots Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 16h, 36m | CPU: 66% | MEM: 5667MB of 10722MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:35 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi guys,

Its competition time again, this time for the benefit of our favorite forum.

The mission....

Have a look here:

Your mission, is create a "slate" theme for LH4074, where you get the sidebar and task bar as shown above, but still have the slate theme on the Windows.

Once you have done it, and it have been verified to work, i will donate a cash donation for BA of 50£.

The "result" is to be mailed to mail@r2x2.com

Have fun and enjoy.

Run OSX on a pc - Ahsay backup monitoring - Online Backup

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:29 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
My entry (already sent to Leon over MSN):

Background
Imageres.dll contains the resources for the two sets of taskbars/sidebars. One set is used for Aero, one set is used for everything else - including Jade and Slate. Most Longhorn themers renamed Jade to Aero, so they could then use the Aero sidebar and taskbar.
All imageres does is simply check if the theme being used has a filename of aero.msstyles, if it does, it applies the Aero taskbar, if not, it applies the slate taskbar.
Therefore all we need to do is simply rename slate to Aero to fool imageres into applying the Aero sidebar and taskbar.
Instructions

1. If you have used any custom modification, such as True Longhorn or Longhorn 08, you will first need to change 'Aero' back to the Jade it was before. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes\ and rename the Aero folder to Jade, and enter the folder and rename aero.msstyles back to jade.msstyles

2. Going back to the themes folder, rename the Slate folder to Aero, and open the folder and rename slate.msstyles to aero.msstyles

3. Go to the Display Properties on the themes tab, and Select the Slate theme. Do not select Aero, if present, because that's probably just the Jade theme, that's been hacked to say Aero rather than Jade.

4. Restart Explorer to ensure it retains the Aero taskbar.

5. If the taskbar goes opaque, you'll need to ensure that the LIMExplorer key is set, or use the DWM switcher if you used a modification to turn on the Aero taskbar.

If all went well, you'll end up with something like this:

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:23 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
Hi,

Well done Thomas !!!

The donation will be bade to BA in feb. - and your name will be put on the contribution list.

And here we have the result on my test machine...

Again, a big congratulation to Thomas for winning the Competition.

Stay tuned for next months Challenge for a BA donation.

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:44 am 
Donator

Someone really loves their 4074.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
yes he do ;)

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:51 pm 
FTP Access

lol, idea for the next competition: making a fix pack for 4093

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:01 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
OSX
good idea.. it would be nice to be able to use 4093 instead of 4074 :D .. but it seems somewhat more unstable etc.

What do the rest of you think ?

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:15 pm 
FTP Access

If some members would join in you could create with your 'team' a fix pack. But that isn'r really easy, I can't script or fix value's because I am a registern00b. Would like to help, but I can't..

PS. Sorry if I spelled 'n00b' wrong, but thats the actual writing of it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:55 pm 
Donator

Though I'm not so big on Longhorn projects, I think 4039 and 4051 have more potential than 4093...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:40 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
5.50.5111/6.0.3706/6.0.4028
4039 is too buggy to research on it.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:43 pm 
FTP Access

Agreed, but 4093 is hell unstable. Setup, freezes. Initializing the settings, BSOD, swapped the WinPE, wouldn't boot up. I am getting a little sad of that, but yeah, it's a beta.. :(

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:24 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Anything checked :P
dexter152 wrote:
Agreed, but 4093 is hell unstable. Setup, freezes. Initializing the settings, BSOD, swapped the WinPE, wouldn't boot up. I am getting a little sad of that, but yeah, it's a beta.. :(

Hmm, I got 4093 to kinda work on my test pc ? :)

Glitch City Laboratories ForumsSoftHistory Forumsirc.rol.im #softhistory,#galaxy

If you like my posts, donate me Dogecoin: DLnZV8DS3CaZmLKAVxL2aMijY2vUZeyjBi

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:36 pm 
Donator

Other than WinFS using more RAM than I'd ever seen it use before, I didn't really have any probs with 4039...

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Personally, I much preferred 4039 to 4093. 4093 was not a true Longhorn build really. It was after the point at which Microsoft started hacking away at Longhorn to make it usable, and at the point when they realised what a miserable failure that had been. A fix pack is probably not the greatest idea though imo. It's a lot of work for little gain. Fixes are limited to Registry edits and resource replacements essentially. A longhorn fix pack/project is a bad idea.

That said, I'll be first in queue to help produce and organise such a pack.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:53 am 
Donator

4039 has a near complete Plex too, thats what I liked most about it.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:14 am 
FTP Access

I am getting pissed because I am waiting almost 7 hours to let the setup start :x

That's right, it might take a hour....+ 6..

Last edited by dexter152 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:21 am 
Donator

Heh, what build?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:44 am 
FTP Access

Build 4093

And it is a stupid [censored]! It's still doing the same right now!

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:31 am 
Donator

Leon, how much have you spent so far trying to get people to develop/fix things for 4074?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:09 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows & Phone
dexter152 wrote:
I am getting [censored] because I am waiting almost 7 hours to let the setup start :x

<SNIP IMAGE>

Check if it's doing something, it isn't starting setup... is already running.
This is the stage where you would normally get the first GUI in XP (after the blue MS-DOS screens).

Just reboot the PC, and then see what happens (otherwise save the VM state if it's an VM) and then copy it to another location and start it up and reboot it.

Reading Mode only, PM's possible.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:27 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
DjRob wrote:
dexter152 wrote:
I am getting [censored] because I am waiting almost 7 hours to let the setup start :x

<SNIP IMAGE>

Check if it's doing something, it isn't starting setup... is already running.
This is the stage where you would normally get the first GUI in XP (after the blue MS-DOS screens).

Just reboot the PC, and then see what happens (otherwise save the VM state if it's an VM) and then copy it to another location and start it up and reboot it.

It's a common bug in 4093. It'll either complete in a normal time, or take forever. 6 hours seems common, I've heard much longer than that though.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: [competion] for the benefit of BA        Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:11 pm 
FTP Access

On the AeroXP forum, a day after the 4093 leak. I remember it, somebody said that that process took him 4 days complete :o.

I got it running right now and contributed some screenshots of 4093 to the Microsoft Windows Collection Book, because they weren't on there, so check it out if you want, lol. :P

Top  Profile