BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 7d, 14h, 51m | CPU: 46% | MEM: 5737MB of 12287MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:37 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
First Edition UNIX
Can I do it? I'd like to put 7 onto my laptop for everyday use, just upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Ultimate, but I'm not sure if I can do it - does anyone know?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:40 am 
Donator

You'd be better off dualbooting

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:07 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows Server 2008 Standard
I think most Windows 7 ISOs are for standalone installs not upgrades

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:22 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 8 7955
@Thlump: the standalone ISO is perfectly capable of upgrading an existing system, it was that way for Vista to.

@marktuson: While it is possible, I would recommend against it, there are some reports of some weird bugs and data loss in the MS Connect newsgroups right now. Quite a few of these are being closed as resolved (in later builds) so I would wait for the RC to perform this kind of upgrade.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:20 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows 7 x64
I would strongly recommend a clean install as there are so many issues with upgrading, especially with beta operating systems.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:16 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Always newest but not this time
install a new copy it's more reliable rather then having upgraded one, you may face some problem after upgrading best option get 7 with dual boot

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:00 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Server 2012 R2
Something to also bear in mind is that you will then not be able to upgrade from this build to RC or RTM or some other build.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:44 pm 
FTP Access

marktuson wrote:
Can I do it? I'd like to put 7 onto my laptop for everyday use, just upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Ultimate, but I'm not sure if I can do it - does anyone know?

I upgraded my OEM Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7.
The process was excellent, really, excellent, except for the fact that it took two hours. Other than that, it was awesome.
Everything everything everything was on it's place. I didn't have to move a single driver.
I think the process was wonderful (If you wanna wait the two hours). The system makes my computer faster!
:)
I would

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:13 am 
FTP Access

I tried upgrading an X61 tablet laptop and I got a blue screen. Then Windows 7 just said "Install was unsuccessful, starting automatic restore". I had no option of canceling the restore... That was after waiting 2 hours!! I'm pretty irritated but that's what you get for trying to upgrade. I'm just going to do a full reformat.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:07 pm 
FTP Access

flashstar wrote:
I tried upgrading an X61 tablet laptop and I got a blue screen. Then Windows 7 just said "Install was unsuccessful, starting automatic restore". I had no option of canceling the restore... That was after waiting 2 hours!! I'm pretty irritated but that's what you get for trying to upgrade. I'm just going to do a full reformat.

How bad. When something goes wrong while updating you do need to clean-install. Yet, it's worth it! :) Good luck

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:49 pm 
FTP Access

Yes,you can only upgrade Windows Vista SP1 English Version to Windows 7

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:30 pm 
Donator

I upgraded from 6801 to 6956 to 7000.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:00 pm 
FTP Access

clean install is the only way during beta stages.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:14 pm 
Donator

Windows OCManage wrote:

i thought it was impossible to upgrade with the different builds. do you mean you installed over each one?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:15 pm 
FTP Access

rws7 wrote:
clean install is the only way during beta stages.

Of course you can do it.
I did with my own everyday laptop and have no problems at all. Not even one.
The updating process took a long long time. About 3 hours, Setup will seem to be stuck at some points, becasue by ex, mine said "Copying files 350,453 of 460,435" and it would do about 100-500 files per second. Yet, sometimes it would take HALF AN HOUR to copy a _Single_ file. I imaginte it did sthg else because after such it rebooted, yet, you have to be ready to wait.
In case you do a clean, it won't take long. About half an hour atm.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:57 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows Neptune & Longhorn
I thought that it was impossible in the betas of windows 7 to upgrade from another windows version.

Is it only possible with vista?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:05 pm 
FTP Access

zeehonden_3 wrote:
I thought that it was impossible in the betas of windows 7 to upgrade from another windows version.

Is it only possible with vista?

You may not upgrade XP to Seven.
It has to be Vista SP1 in order to upgrade.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:31 pm 
Donator

zamadatix wrote:
Windows OCManage wrote:

i thought it was impossible to upgrade with the different builds. do you mean you installed over each one?

No, I did successfully upgrade. I'm using my upgraded copy right now.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:58 am 
Donator

So the upgrade feature works between builds, anyone know if the roll back feature works?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows Vista upgrade to 7        Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:33 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Whistler
Windows OCManage wrote:
zamadatix wrote:
Windows OCManage wrote:

No, I did successfully upgrade. I'm using my upgraded copy right now.

Indeed it does work.

6956 to 7000 for me, and it went fine, it took ages for the upgrade (3-4hours) but everything seemed to work out fine and I haven't had a reinstall since 6956 was leaked.

Stable.

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

Top  Profile